PDA

View Full Version : Facial rig

whitehorse
06-07-2006, 03:14 AM
i saw this article on highend3d, this face and lips setup looks really good and interesting to use, i worked a bit on trying to recreate it in max but at this point have fail too. any ideas on how to do it

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutorials/character/276.html

also would love to see some other ideas on how to set up the face and lips or animation. i haev not found somthing i really like.

Kaostick
06-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Look into the CG Academy Intermediate Rigging series by Paul Neale. They are fantastic DVDs, and the 4th is all about facial setups. It doesn't go into a NURBS solution like the link you posted, but NURBS in Max are really slow and outdated anywase. It does cover a morph based solution, and a bone based solution. Unfortunatly, my copy is still in the mail, so thats about all I know. But if the 4th is as good as the other 3, (which I am sure it is) then you probabally won't be able to find a better resource for facial rigging.

whitehorse
06-08-2006, 02:00 AM
thanks i will look at getting a hold of that one, it looks interesting

dellis
06-08-2006, 03:49 PM
I had an idea for doing lip syncing using the object pinning capabilities in the 3d camera tracking utility. Basically you would put tiny markers on the lips of an actor and then use the object pinning utility to track the markers and associate them to dummy objects. You could use spline IK Control modifier which would then give you the dummy objects that would be pinned to the tracked video. I am planning to test this in the next little while to check for limitations....but it has to be easier then setting up a million morph targets.

Kaostick
06-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Let us know how that turns out. I'm really intrested to see the results. :thumbsup:

whitehorse
06-08-2006, 11:45 PM
yeah i would like to know how that turns out too

PEN
06-13-2006, 12:24 PM
You can do the same rig in Max as is shown in Maya there. You just don't use Nurbs curves and use spline curves instead. Inatead of clusters on the curves you would use the spline IK modifier (NOT the spline IK Solver) .

Really the second rig that I show is just the same as the one shown in Maya but I control bones with the splines and don't directly skin to the splines. I prefer using the bones as I have better ability to twist the bones along thier length when needed.

whitehorse
06-13-2006, 02:28 PM
that is exactly the thing i was looking for, i will test out your bones thing too, thanks for your help

CGTalk Moderation
06-13-2006, 02:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.