PDA

View Full Version : Balsa Wood Airplane Crash???

mdunakin
06-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Can someone, whoever it was who made that awesome little Balsawood Airplane
that they let crash into a couple of blocks, please post that up again if you still
have it, as I now can't find it and I need to check out some of your settings
that you used, as I think they were what I am looking for?

Thanx if anyone here still has it or who ever made it can post it?

EDIT: OK, I did manage to find the old, VERY old thread and who posted it.
It was:
Robert Wilson
UnCommon Grafx

But the files are no longer available.
So, Robert, if you (hopefully) still have that old scene,
can you please repost it or email it to me again?
I've search everywhere and can't find it!
Please help me, if you can, cuz I really, really liked that sample test scene you made
and right now am trying to make something very similar to what your scene was, but
mine will have to be activated when it collides and I can't seem to figure out how the
flip to do that, even though I could swear that I used to know how to do this really easy trick?
My plane needs to fly on a path for a few miles and THEN it collides into a
tree and THATS when I need it to start cracking up and crashing and all that.
I can't for the life of me get it to crash ONLY when it collides AFTER it's long flight path.
The only other way I can get it to do the crash, which works every time, is to just let it
crash from it's starting point, but of course, this isn't how the flight is supposed to go.

Thanx tons!

................................md :)

uncommongrafx
06-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Hey Mark!
He11, I recently erased a bunch of stuff off of my ISP so yeah, it's gone. I'm sorry.
However, I will look high and low to find the stuff so that I can upload it again. That I can assist you will be all the more worth it!!

Do you remember where you saw the link? That ought to make it easier to find the zip file.

Thanks for asking. Off to find it...

mdunakin
06-06-2006, 11:48 PM
Thanx, I got your emails and am sending replies right now :)

uncommongrafx
06-07-2006, 12:47 AM
Hey Mark,
Bringing it back here to be more community minded. ;)

Let's do this here and share it with the community. I'm willing to make a balsa plane again; a particular one if you have a reference. From there, I'll animate that setup again. All of this as [9]-capable so Nodal fun included. ;) I understand the system even better than I did then so it should be able to be tweaked a bit more. I never even did wing movements to see what the dynamics engine would do to it... Pure glider. Hmm, food for thought.

So yeah, what's the challenge? Ready to roll. I have two days for this; about four hours total time at the computer is all I'll allow so let's get goin'!

mdunakin
06-07-2006, 01:37 AM
Thanx for keeping it here!
I wasn't sure if you were even going to be interested in such an old subject? LOL
And I agree that it's better to keep it here so that way we all can get something out of this.

I have a real plane, so the Balsa Plane was just to be used to see what your settings were.
I want to to be able to fly around on a flight path that I set.
Then once it comes too low and then finds itself in trouble, namely crashing
into a tower or what ever, can't really be too specific, but we'll say a tower
or tree or pole, it hits it and then THAT causes the crash to begin.
I assume I need some kind of Event, like On Collision or something,
but that's where I keep getting myself lost, as I don't want the
thing to start crashing untill it's supposed to when hitting the Pole.
Once it hits the pole, then it begins to make use of the Dynamics and begins to
crash and hit the ground which further crashes and breaks the plane all up some more.

Hope this all makes sense.
I would also prefer to keep it as basic as possible, because I'm not that brainy
to follow any complex techniques, though I wouldn't mind seeing those too? LOL

I understand you wanting to make use of the Nodal method, which I'd love
to see, but I kind of might have to keep this scene basic for other reasons too.
So, for me, both methods of basic and complex would be wildly wellcomed.

And yes, there would most likely be some other objects
already on the ground that the plane ends up wrecking into.

Thanx........................md :)

uncommongrafx
06-07-2006, 01:59 AM
Welp,
Found a prototype of the final. Had an 80 gig drive die that had all kinds of goodness on it...

http://uncommongrafx.com/examples/md-Airplane.zip

It is setup to stay as a whole when it falls. Change the 'piece mode' to parts to watch it fall apart on impact. That should get you started.

I'm so busy (read: Lazy? ;}) to give back like I should. So a chance to help is appreciated. ;)

Give this a shot and let's see what you need from here.

mdunakin
06-07-2006, 03:45 AM
Sounds close, and I'll check it out.
As I recall, your last (original) scene was something like this too?
The falling to the ground and crashig is actually not the problem I have, as that was easy for me, really.

Dynamics are truely easy to use, but sometimes you can easily overlook the obvious,
i.e. like what do I use to activate the collision while using a flight path as opposed to simply
letting the plane fly on it's own down to the ground, which I suspect this scene here will do?

I kept setting mine to begin collision (the crashing and parts falling all over) On Collision Start.
Or whatever it was called? LOL

But, alass, it would crash and either bounce clean off of the
object (pole) on the ground or it would just sit there and do nothing.

Anyway, let me check this out and see what's up?

thanx too......................md :)

mdunakin
06-07-2006, 06:27 AM
Well, one thing is for sure, I (after searching up for a few hours through ALLlll of my old backed up CDs)
I finally found the old original scenes.

Here's the link to the old files, as good as they are.

http://www.md-arts.com/lw/Airplanes.zip

Not as good, I don't think, as you new stuff, but at least you can see what your old stuff looked like LOL

I added a ground plane because that object was missing.
And one of the scenes I think I may have messed with ages ago, but one is the original way it was.

Anyway, dought it helps any for what I'm looking for or for you, but there they are.
Oh, and it crashes 9 out every time I close the scene too LOL

.................md :)

uncommongrafx
06-07-2006, 11:29 AM
lol,
I'll look at this later. Thanks for your efforts.

I think you should be able to put the parts you want to break off into groups such that when it hits collision A, group A breaks off; collision B and group B falls off, and so forth. And because of your flight plan route, you can strategically place your groups around to have action at specific places.
Using this method you would use By Event to have the action. At least, I would at first glance... But in groups, it doesn't matter as the parts will stay until their group is met.

I know some of what I am saying may have to be figured out. I'm now curious... I'll set up a scene to test this later today.

mdunakin
06-07-2006, 07:25 PM
Thanx, and I'll be looking at this later on today a lot better too.
Unfortunately, I have to leave and also there may be some project coming in LOL
This is much funner! LOL

This and my clouds, which involves the whole plane deal.

And why the plane crashes in the first place.

BTW, I like your ideas for how the plane could crash.
They sound like pretty good possible things to test out.
Can't wait to get back home in a couple hours to try this out.

..................md :)

CGTalk Moderation
06-07-2006, 07:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.