PDA

View Full Version : 3d fractal or noise generators?

MJV
06-06-2006, 06:37 PM
I've searched here and the documentation and google, but I can't find any information about using 3D noises or 3D texture generators in XSI. I found some nodes in texture generators called 3D Marble, 3D cloud, etc., but none of them do anything when applied to a default sphere. Tried all projection types and tried adjusting every parameter. Nothing. Is working with 3D noise not a normal thing in XSI?

bt3d
06-06-2006, 07:39 PM
The 3d texture generators require extra texture coords (Look up). Take a look in the manuals or better (if you have) at the tutorial DVDs. The difference for example between the 'normal' noise texture and the noise generator is the extra slot 'coords' for texture coordinates which can be plugged in there.
Sorry, I don't have XSI in front of me, but anyway, maybe it's a good start to search for you.

Tim

Stoehr
06-06-2006, 07:50 PM
I'm going to assume you're not using a texture projection, so you'll need to add the texture projection property to the sphere through the toolbar > Property> Texture Projection > Spherical. Another option is to add the TP through the render tree. Refer to the image below. I hope that helps.

http://theladyandthelion.com/forum_images/3D_marble_use.jpg

MJV
06-06-2006, 08:15 PM
Thanks Stoehr. I couldn't find this path anywhere. (toolbar > Property > Texture Projection > Spherical) However, (Nodes > Texture Space Generators > Projection) turned up the node in question. I had tried putting different projections in the material node and I guess I don't understand why nodes in the chain don't look to that projection. I looked up Lookup in the manual and got little more than it telling me that a lookup is a lookup. I found a tutorial by Ed Harris that uses a lookup at one point, but he doesn't go into any detail about why. Oh well, all part of knowing the secret handshakes I guess and this program has more of them than anything I've ever encountered.

Stoehr
06-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Sorry for the confusion. The texture_projection_lookup literally looks for the texture projection already applied to the object. If no TP is applied, you'll see no texture.

To clarify, start with a new scene and new sphere:

1. Select your sphere
2. Go the toolbar on the left, click Property > Texture Projection > Spherical
(you should now see a green wireframe for a texture projection around the sphere)
3. With the sphere still selected, go to the toolbar again and click Material > Phong
4. Open the render tree
5. Add a texture_projection_lookup node
6. Add a 3D_marble from the Texture Generators
7. plug them together as seen before

The texture_projection_lookup will use the first texture projection available by default.

AdrianLazar
06-07-2006, 06:32 AM
Just a question here, shouldn't 3D_marble be a procedural texture that wouldn't require uv coords?

neogeo51
06-07-2006, 08:25 AM
You can use the "vector state node" instead of the TP Lookup and set it to Texture Vector.
This method is useful when using procedural textures as bumpmap with the bumpmap generator. The vector state node does not require a TP.

kimaldis
06-07-2006, 04:28 PM
http://www.softimage.com/education/learning_resources/tutorials/default_v50.htm?sorttheme=1

the (ahem) kim aldis rendertree tutorials. there's a couple of 3D texturing ones there as well as some basic rendertree stuff.

and Todd's got some good toon shader stuff there too.

MJV
06-08-2006, 12:14 AM
http://www.softimage.com/education/learning_resources/tutorials/default_v50.htm?sorttheme=1

the (ahem) kim aldis rendertree tutorials. there's a couple of 3D texturing ones there as well as some basic rendertree stuff.

and Todd's got some good toon shader stuff there too.

Thanks Kim. I had seen your Texturing Part 2 video and it is the Ed Harris page video I refereed to earlier in this thread. Sorry I didn't notice before it was yours. Ironically, I had also tried watching Texturing Part 1 prior to even starting this thread, but that video for some reason isn't loading from Ed's page. I then skimmed through your Part 2 but missed or failed to notice the part where you make a 3D texture work by assigning a lookup to it. You do it but you give no explanation for it. If I had been watching more closely I might have gotten it, but between scouring the documentation and other sites it didn't dawn on me that this was the critical missing piece. You see, contrary to Bernard's attacks on me, I never come to a forum for help without reading whatever I can find on a subject in the documentation, searching this site and Googling. Sometimes the info is not there, is hard to decipher, or maybe even under your nose but you don't see it. That's when it's nice to be able to come to a forum like this one for a little friendly help. Thank you very much for your help and your great videos.

MJV
06-08-2006, 12:16 AM
Just a question here, shouldn't 3D_marble be a procedural texture that wouldn't require uv coords?

Yep, that's what had me puzzled too Adrian. :shrug:

CiaranM
06-08-2006, 01:02 AM

You don't. Plug a vector state node into the coord input of the 3d fractal. Set the vector state to intersection point. You can place a texture space controller > edit node between the two to control the texture placement.
Should look like this:

Vector state (intersection point)----->texture edit---->3d fractal----->color----->Material

etc.
etc.

CGTalk Moderation
06-08-2006, 01:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.