PDA

View Full Version : 2 monitors

iC4
01-11-2003, 01:55 PM
is it possible to use two different monitors? At the moment I'm using a samsung 19", but I just thought that I could use a 15" monitor for some maya windows.

is this possible? And can I decide which window maya opens on what monitor?

And will I lose some graphic power if I use two monitors?

thx ;)

Zafar Iqbal
01-11-2003, 03:32 PM
I dont know how Maya works, but i've have the chance to work on a dual monitor setup lately.

It was with a Nvidia gfxboard, witch allow you to either spilt your desktop, or extend it (big difference).

Some programs dont support dual monitors, and you will therefor not be able to use the second monitor with them (like programs will forinstance keep forgetting that you placed some of its windows on the second monitor).

But - thats if you use dual monitors the ordanary way (extend desktop). If you instead split your desktop, then allmost every software thinks what you see on both monitors, are one desktop - if you maximize a window, it will therefor fill the two screens. But this requires same resolution on both monitors.

flaagan
01-12-2003, 06:20 AM
i'm using a dual monitor setup on my Matrox g400. my main monitor (#1) is a 19" viewsonic, and my #2 monitor is an el cheapo nFren ~15" flat panel. Both are set at 1280x1024. (having seperate resolutions is possible, but tends to makes things confusing).

Programs like Photoshop, Maya, 3DSMax, and Windows IE windows all maximize to one of the two monitors. Photoshop and Flash allow you to put panels in the second window, i havent tried this out on 3d programs yet, Painter locks everything within it's program, but the program itself can be extended to the second monitor, allowing for a trick way of extending it. XSI for some reason only maximizes to both windows at once, which is somewhat annoying.

Another thing to point out is that I have to disable the dual monitor setup anytime i want to use a game or program the runs full screen (on top of windows). This is a rather simple change (3 or 4 mouse clicks and i'm done), but it can be annoying at times.
I tend to work with photoshop/ maya / etc maximized on my main monitor, and use my secondary to hold IE windows, or ACDSee (image viewing software that's set up like Windows Explorer) so that i can navigate through concept art and web sites while working on the main monitor.

I rarely extend programs to both windows, but that's more because of the difference in size between my two monitors.
Also, something else to consider if you own a Wacom or other tablet, the tablet will automatically map itself to both monitors, which somewhat warps how you use the working surface of the tablet. I remapped mine to just one monitor, but this results in having to use the mouse to select anything from panels you've moved to the second monitor.

Essentially, i find having the second monitor useful for having a clipboard of sorts for concept art i'm working off of, and for occasionally working in two programs at once.

I consider it a great investment, but it does (slightly) limit video card choice, cause its sucks having a second monitor and not having something to hook it up to. :scream:

hope this is some help! :beer:

mr0range
01-14-2003, 12:24 AM
You guys might want to check out this freeware prog called 'Ultramon' which adds a ton of functionality to a dual monitor setup

flaagan- one thing you can do is map a shortcut key to automatically switch between desktops. ie i think you could use the duoswitch on your Wacom pen to automatically switch the pen between desktops, but have the tablet only mapped to one screen at a time to prevent distortion
(this works on screens with different resolutions)

there are also a whole lot of other cool features for dual monitor setups

slayerment
01-14-2003, 04:49 AM
i have a 19" and a 17" and maya rocks on it. it makes it so much nicer just dragin over the hypershade or outliner to the next window. I would highly recommend it :)

elvis
01-14-2003, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by mr0range
You guys might want to check out this freeware prog called 'Ultramon' which adds a ton of functionality to a dual monitor setup

ultramon is trailware, not freeware. limited to 30 days use then you must purchase.

iC4
01-14-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by slayerment
i have a 19" and a 17" and maya rocks on it. it makes it so much nicer just dragin over the hypershade or outliner to the next window. I would highly recommend it :)

thats exactly what I want, good to hear that it's possible

thx for the replies ;)

garyturner
01-14-2003, 08:33 PM
i've 19&22" monitor and it roks on maya & photoshop

1280 & 1600 opengl in twice

new cards are right for dualview :)

mirkoj
02-02-2003, 11:28 PM
Maybe you can help me. Maya on two monitors with radeon9000??? I just dont have open GL on both monitors, only on one, so windows in maya that use openGL like hypershade just don work. Any help about that???

Nem
02-03-2003, 04:42 PM
i thought openGL was a gfx card thing? and not a on a per monitor basis?

Grgeon
02-03-2003, 07:10 PM
I too am having unsucceful results using Maya's hypershade to work on my second monitor. For instance, If i press right mouse click(to say create a new material,) it doesn't work.

any ideas to getting it to work right?

I have a gforce 4 ti 4200 128mb 8xAGP
and I switched it's option to mutliview performance(rather than single monitor option), but still no go.

Thanks in advance,
George

mirkoj
02-04-2003, 01:26 AM
i thought openGL was a gfx card thing? and not a on a per monitor basis?
Yes it is. what mean is that windows does's support openGL on both monitors. it's working ok with old mtroxg450 (and all new cards i think) but there you actualy have one screen with resolution of 3200x1200 if you have 1600x1200 on both monitors, and with my radeon and others i think, there are two screens, every with it's own resolution, 2 screens with 1600x1200 resolution. right now windows can't use openGL on both screens. so maybe someone knows is there options to use it??? there is domething about dualscreen option in windows help, but i couldn't find that setting in the display->settings options, and anywhere near. maybe that is beacuse of card drivers... or something.
so, i actualy need to strech screen on both monitors so that i have only one resolution 3200x1200, and not 2 resolutions with 1600x1200. like i sad, that was ok on mtrox cards but radeon.... also i don't know about gforce cards, but i think there is the same problem like with radeon. hypershader window use opengl so it doesn't work on other monitor, but attribute editor for example is ok.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.