PDA

View Full Version : Basic Lighting Tutorial

Martin Kay
06-06-2006, 06:12 PM
I posted a basic lighting tutorial a few years ago and have had quite a few requests for it.

Direct link:

http://www.martinkay-3d.com/mk_lighting_tut_p1.html

Martin K

FitArtistSF
06-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Nice tut, but wish it was a little more in detail....
I do have a question....
I am a beginning Cinema 4D user, and also still learning 3D. I have seen what HDRI can do. But, since I am not at that level of lighting skill yet, is there a lighting setup that can imitate the overall lighting of the sun? I have tried the Sun feature in C4D, but can't seem to get it to do what I want. My goal is to create seafaring scenes, with ships and water, weather conditions, etc. (see: www.age-of-sail.com, for example) So I would need an overall lighting scheme for seascapes. I can't seem to find anyone that has taken HDRI pictures at sea, with horizons and/or clouds, etc., they all seem to be landscape or indoor shots, which won't work for nautical renders....
Do you know how I can get a lighting scheme that will work for what I have in mind?
Thanks for the help....

Todd

Martin Kay
06-09-2006, 05:57 AM
Todd

That's simple, use a distant light with hard shadows. You can vary
the density of the shadows in the lights options. This is the standard
lighting set up in Bryce and Vue. You could use a shadow map if you want
slightly soft shadows, BUT, you will need a huge shadow map to do this
successfully.

Martin K

CGTalk Moderation
06-09-2006, 05:57 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.