PDA

View Full Version : Cropping Land

mattsk42
06-06-2006, 06:11 PM
I have a big piece of land that I got from USGS. I only need to use one part of it, though, like a 200 foot square section right in the middle. How do I crop this so I don't have 8 billion polygons when I ecosystem the grass on the terrain? I know you can select a render area, but I don't want to have anything BUT that area. Thanks!

Matt

IvanB
06-08-2006, 04:53 AM
I had the same problem..the way I got around it was to place cubes around the area I did not want the eco and set decay near foriegn object.

mattsk42
06-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I got it working now. I used a terrain "map" thing. It worked fine, just a lot of steps for such a simple function. This should be made into a tutorial or sticky or something, it took me forever to find and multiple postings. It works with any terrain. What I did was...

1. Opened terrain editor by double clicking it
2. Clicked on "copy" at the top to copy the whole thing.
3. Opened MS Paint
4. Pasted it in Paint
5. Cropped what I wanted in Paint
6. Saved the cropped file
7. Went back into Vue 5i
8. Opened editor and reset terrain
9. Clicked "Picture" button on the left (below the different terrain presets)
10. Clicked "Load" and loaded the cropped ___.bmp
11. Adjusted it to about 40%
12. Clicked "OK" until I was back to main screen

It's sort of the same way you can create rivers or roads and stuff, so that might have been pointless guidance, but I couldn't figure out how on earth to cut that section out of my terrain, so maybe this will help someone else. (Especially if someone makes it a tutorial...hint hint... :D )

mdunakin
06-08-2006, 10:40 PM
Or a possibly better and more accurate method, would be to use Grey Scale maps.
Check out the tutorial made by Dig (Steve) that is posted at my site.
It goes into some good info on how to do this.

Just follow the link bellow and look under the Tutorials Button.

...................md :)

mattsk42
06-12-2006, 07:37 PM
Yeah that's somewhat similar to what I was doing and I AM going to use this, so thanks. I have to put a highway down the middle so I'm going to use this for that.

IvanB
06-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Hey matt,

I think I may have missunderstood..I thought that you only wanted a portion of the terrain covered by the eco system...
The way I got rid of some of the terrain was the way you metioned, I used photoshop to create my terrain using different shades of greys, black and white...the way I got rid of an area i didn,t want was to paint it completely black and then drop that area under the ground plain...Its funny you should mention this as I spent a few weeks working this out..I have also come up with some other ways to isolate areas of the terrain that i want eco'd with specific things like building next to a river and inbetween the river and buildings, some trees..I'll make a video tute and upload it. You can get perfect control.

mdunakin
06-13-2006, 09:32 AM
..I have also come up with some other ways to isolate areas of the terrain that i want eco'd with specific things like building next to a river and inbetween the river and buildings, some trees..I'll make a video tute and upload it. You can get perfect control.
The way I generally would do things like that for good control is the grey scale method, though I use some of the more standard methods for similar things, but I never get the same control as a grey scale.
So for me, I'd love to see what other techniques you want to share with us?

As for the actual terrain aspect of this, you can also set things like Min/Max Altitude and paint right on the terrain where you want a 0% terrain.
Then all you need to do, is adjust the Level up to 1% and the whole bottom part of the 0% terrain will be cropped out and when you exit the Terrain Editor your terrain will only be what's left over.
This is a cool way to quickly whip up small sized terrains without any mapping or anything, though, again, there is some amount of loss of control if you aren't using a image map.

Anyway, I'll be waiting to see what you come up with for this?

...................md :)

mattsk42
06-13-2006, 04:03 PM
That would be really nice for others if you made that. I also struggled to find a way to do it for a week or so. It' frustrating because it's such a simple thing, but impossible to get accomplished!

IvanB
06-14-2006, 08:10 AM
Hey people... got the video tutes done, I'll post a new thread called (well I guess you'll see it before you read this..anyway) "FREE creating terrains video tutes" However it doesn't highlight the method of cropping the image...Not sure, but wont that only strech the image over the default terrain?...let me know.

skin12002
06-14-2006, 05:11 PM
Thanks Ivan/Mark

Great Stuff!!!

Skin

CGTalk Moderation
06-14-2006, 05:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.