PDA

View Full Version : Max user trying to find XSI smoothing group equal

BelieverDeceiver
06-06-2006, 03:35 AM
IM a max user new to XSI. Im trying to figure out what part of XSI smooths certain components..much like max's smoothing groups. I know about the geometry approximation and messing with the discontinuity angle...however this applies it to the entire model... there has to be a way to smooth certain polygons of an object??? How is this done for game models in XSI? So far Im lovin this package for modeling but this one thing is holding me back. Thx in advance for any help.

NRG-Alpha
06-06-2006, 04:32 AM
The thing is that there are no smoothing groups in XSI. I know that this sounds like a foreign concept.. But the fact of the matter is that XSI uses edge creasing instead of using smoothing groups.

My suggestion would be to go through the online manual. Read primarily about modelling (since it seems that this is something you are specifically interested in). But once you get this edge creasing concept, you will see that it works out just the same.

Cheers,

NRG

sonictk
06-06-2006, 04:45 AM
As a MAX to XSI newcomer, too, I find that Geometry Approximation and using Hard Edges works fine, in fact, perhaps better than MAX's smoothing groups. I'm still trying to find a way to select all hard edges at once, though.

BelieverDeceiver
06-06-2006, 06:31 AM
thx for the info. Ill dig into this

Mic_Ma
06-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Yes, they seem a bit strange at first when you come from Max. Especially because in Max you can create countless smoothing groups.

Despite some drawbacks hard edges work quiet well actually.

NRG-Alpha
06-07-2006, 04:04 AM
...chop... I'm still trying to find a way to select all hard edges at once, though.

When you create hard edges, a cluster set (called edge_AUTO) is created. You can access this by selecting your object (but don't go into any subcomponent mode like points or edges or polys), hit the selection button (found on the right side interface under SELECT), and a popup side dialogue box appears. Simply go to the clusters folder, open it up and voila. Find the edge_AUTO clusters, as these are created when you add any amount of edge creasing or complete hard edges.

Just be careful when dealing with IMMED mode or when you freeze your mesh. edge_AUTO clusters may still be listed, but are no longer accessable (if you try to delete these clusters, they will delete from the list inside the clusters folder, but the mesh will not have any effect).

Cheers,

NRG

sonictk
06-07-2006, 04:08 AM
Omg win!

<3, thanks for the heads-up. :)

Significant
06-07-2006, 11:56 AM
2 sonictk: You can also use "crease edge" selection filter if you have problems with clusters. Just hit small triangle to the right of "Sample" button on select panel.

CGTalk Moderation
06-07-2006, 11:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.