PDA

View Full Version : Thickness shader addon node where?

MJV
06-06-2006, 12:44 AM
I installed the this thickness shader addon but I don't know how or where to find the node to put into the tree. How do I access the node?

http://binaryiris.com/main/?id=ThickNess (http://binaryiris.com/main/?id=ThickNess)

CiaranM
06-06-2006, 02:44 PM
I don't have XSI in front of me, but in general it will be found somewhere like this:

C:\users\Your_Name\Softimage\XSI_5.1_Foundation\Addons\Addon_Name\Data\DSPresets\

There you should find a file *.preset, which you can drop into your render tree.
If I were you, I would add that directory to my favourites in the XSI browser. Some addons add their location to the "Paths" on the right of the browser, so you need only click on them there.
As an alternative open the plugin manager, find and right click on the addon name, then you can explore to it's directory.
What I prefer to do for all shaders, whether they be addons or spdls, is to locate the presets and copy them all to my own shader folders and then create a toolbar in XSI to easily pick and choose, without ever having to navigate to find them.

MJV
06-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Thanks but there's no preset there.

Atyss
06-06-2006, 07:00 PM
____F3____

MJV
06-06-2006, 07:18 PM
That brings up an explorer. Is this a riddle?

Atyss
06-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Over here it brings up a search dialog.

MJV
06-06-2006, 07:41 PM
Thanks. You know, if a search had turned up anything useful, I would not have asked the question. It sure is fun though wasting a couple of days just to figure out how to get a plugin in to work then having someone making silly sniping remarks at my expese. Thank you very much.

gent_k
06-06-2006, 08:15 PM
Always look through the "paths" button on the right. Most shaders don't add a custom location in there, in which case youll most likely find them through "paths">user/workgroup>and then under texture/material etc. depending on the shader.

But the thickness shader does add a custom location in the "paths" menu. So you go through nodes>textures>more then "paths">thickness and its there.

MJV
06-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Gent_k, thank you. Found it with the paths button, then Addons > thickness > Data > DSPresets > Shaders > Textures > Thickness. Then if I drag thickness into the render tree, I can finally use it. Can't imagine why doing all that didn't just come to me. :/

Atyss
06-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Well, a search file for "thickness" should have returned something, no? Looking for *.Preset files may also be a good idea....

MJV
06-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Well, a search file for "thickness" should have returned something, no? Looking for *.Preset files may also be a good idea....

If so then what? Would I have known the next step? You should go back and read my original question. I said I don't know what to do and needed help. If you didn't feel like giving any, you should just have remained silent.

As a matter of fact, a search of the windows directory does not find this file. It is invisible. A search of the window directory turns up only the thickness preset in the raytracing directory. Remember that one? I asked for help on using it yesterday but no one answered. The only place this addon turns up is in a search of the XSI browser. I guess you think I'm stupid that I didn't guess from your cryptic two letter long message that I should search the browser within XSI and then if I found a file called thickness (not the raytracing one) then I should drag and drop it into my scene. I should have gotten all that from your F3 message. Right? Even though F3 in XSI brings up an explorer. So you had me searching around for it in the explorer. Brilliant! Well done. Ha ha ha. Good on you. You made a fool of me. I guess I'm just an idiot for having gotten used to working with software that instals shader plugins in the shader menus for immediate access.

http://mvpny.com/InvisibleXSIAddonsMV1.jpg

gent_k
06-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Actually if you go the way I described (textures>more) you only have to go to "paths">thickness, and not browse manually through all that.

But anyway, finding installed shaders is probably the most raised up question by newcomers in XSI, as it really is confusing untill you get the hang of where stuff goes. If finding stuff through the "paths" button is still inconvenient:
- Install addons through File>Add-on>install, you'll get feedback on the location of the preset
- Copy the location and make a folder where you put your custom shaders, and paste it there (make copies of all your new shaders). if you classify into folders, even better
- And then make a custom shelf, new folder, select the directory and choose presets as filetypes.
(some of this was already mentioned by CiaranM)

Now you just have to drag'n'drop to the rendertree
http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/2852/clip5oa.th.jpg (http://img272.imageshack.us/my.php?image=clip5oa.jpg)

MJV
06-06-2006, 09:47 PM
[QUOTE=gent_k]Actually if you go the way I described (textures>more) you only have to go to "paths">thickness, and not browse manually through all that.

But anyway, finding installed shaders is probably the most raised up question by newcomers in XSI, as it really is confusing untill you get the hang of where stuff goes. /QUOTE]

What happens is people learn to accept working with an idiotic workflow of the worst possible design, then get so used to it that they even start to believe it's normal or natural.

Anyway, I did understand your instructions on using the paths button. I was just pointing out that it was buired where I would never have found it on my own, especially since it isn't visible in the windows finder. Thanks for your help.

Atyss
06-07-2006, 01:59 PM
>>> If so then what? Would I have known the next step?

You would have known where the god damn preset file (the render tree node) is.

>>> You should go back and read my original question. I said I don't know what to do and needed help. If you didn't feel like giving any, you should just have remained silent.

My answer was helpful, you just didn't bother.... or didn't understand it. Perhaps it felt like a pedantic advice, but believe it or not, I use the search file tool very often.

>>> As a matter of fact, a search of the windows directory does not find this file. It is invisible.

That's the first time ever I hear that preset files are invisible files. I never had any problem finding those with the search tool.

>>> I guess you think I'm stupid that I didn't guess from your cryptic two letter long message that I should search the browser within XSI and then if I found a file called thickness (not the raytracing one) then I should drag and drop it into my scene. I should have gotten all that from your F3 message. Right? Even though F3 in XSI brings up an explorer. So you had me searching around for it in the explorer. Brilliant! Well done. Ha ha ha. Good on you. You made a fool of me. I guess I'm just an idiot for having gotten used to working with software that instals shader plugins in the shader menus for immediate access.

I didn't expect anything else from you than to do a search. Everything else can be learned by reading the documentation.

As far as immediate access goes, you have such an access via the Path button, as already pointed out. Sorry that you didn't read your documentation. Fair enough, I'm out of here, I can't believe I went that far to help you.

JTD
06-07-2006, 02:19 PM
If this weren't truly entertaining I'd report it to a moderator. I'm all for intelligent sarcasm but unfortunately there's a fine line between that and hostile immaturity.

MJV: I installed the this thickness shader addon but I don't know how or where to find the node to put into the tree. How do I access the node?

- Sounds like MJV doesn't know how to find the find the shader.

Atyss: F3

- This is a legitimate answer to the "I don't know how or where to find...".

MJV's response for the help: It sure is fun though wasting a couple of days just to figure out how to get a plugin in to work then having someone making silly sniping remarks at my expese.

- Easy there, MJV. Nobody is attacking you.

Atyss' reply to the response: Well, a search file for "thickness" should have returned something, no? Looking for *.Preset files may also be a good idea....

- This is not a personal attack and it doesn't address MJV's immature response. In fact, it is a fairly helpful suggestion.

MJV's response to the reply: You should go back and read my original question. I said I don't know what to do and needed help.

- Hmmm. If MJV had found the shader using Atyss' suggestion and put it into the tree, I wonder what more help would MJV had needed as stated by the original question. <- that's rhetorical.

More from MJV: I guess you think I'm stupid that I didn't guess from your cryptic two letter long message that I should search the browser within XSI and then if I found a file called thickness (not the raytracing one) then I should drag and drop it into my scene. I should have gotten all that from your F3 message. Right? Even though F3 in XSI brings up an explorer. So you had me searching around for it in the explorer. Brilliant! Well done. Ha ha ha. Good on you. You made a fool of me.

- Whoa. Your tone is getting hostile.

MJV's parting shots at XSI: I guess I'm just an idiot for having gotten used to working with software that instals shader plugins in the shader menus for immediate access... What happens is people learn to accept working with an idiotic workflow of the worst possible design, then get so used to it that they even start to believe it's normal or natural.

- Hee hee. It's like I'm back in 7th grade.

Now I know you guys love to help anyone interested in XSI but MJV's hostility might be intimidating people and persuading them not to come to this forum or possibly even to try XSI based on his [unstated] opinion of the workflow. Meanwhile, I'm making popcorn.http://bestsmileys.com/eating1/1.gif

MJV
06-07-2006, 05:30 PM
>>> If so then what? Would I have known the next step?

You would have known where the god damn preset file (the render tree node) is.

>>> You should go back and read my original question. I said I don't know what to do and needed help. If you didn't feel like giving any, you should just have remained silent.

My answer was helpful, you just didn't bother.... or didn't understand it. Perhaps it felt like a pedantic advice, but believe it or not, I use the search file tool very often.

>>> As a matter of fact, a search of the windows directory does not find this file. It is invisible.

That's the first time ever I hear that preset files are invisible files. I never had any problem finding those with the search tool.

>>> I guess you think I'm stupid that I didn't guess from your cryptic two letter long message that I should search the browser within XSI and then if I found a file called thickness (not the raytracing one) then I should drag and drop it into my scene. I should have gotten all that from your F3 message. Right? Even though F3 in XSI brings up an explorer. So you had me searching around for it in the explorer. Brilliant! Well done. Ha ha ha. Good on you. You made a fool of me. I guess I'm just an idiot for having gotten used to working with software that instals shader plugins in the shader menus for immediate access.

I didn't expect anything else from you than to do a search. Everything else can be learned by reading the documentation.

As far as immediate access goes, you have such an access via the Path button, as already pointed out. Sorry that you didn't read your documentation. Fair enough, I'm out of here, I can't believe I went that far to help you.

That far? Give me a freakin break.

MJV
06-08-2006, 12:26 AM
If this weren't truly entertaining I'd report it to a moderator.

*snip*

Now I know you guys love to help anyone interested in XSI but MJV's hostility might be intimidating people and persuading them not to come to this forum or possibly even to try XSI based on his [unstated] opinion of the workflow. Meanwhile, I'm making popcorn.http://bestsmileys.com/eating1/1.gif

JTD, sounds like you are looking for this forum here (http://www.xsibase.com). :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
06-08-2006, 12:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.