PDA

View Full Version : Netbios over IP

DaForce
01-11-2003, 10:41 AM
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a program that would allow me and a friend to play against each other in a game that only uses Netbios, and only has a LAN option. (No Internet play) The games is Blood...the old classic :-)

We can play it over lan easily, and it uses the Netbios protocol, but we want to be able to play against each other when we are at our own homes, so basically we need a way to get it to work over our ADSL connections. There is no where in the Blood cfg files were you can put the ip of the comp that you want to connect to, so i assume we will need some sort of addition program that will setup a pseudo netbios LAN over our ADSL connection using our ip addresses.

Hope all this makes some sort of sense, and i really hope someone can help me.

BTW im running win2k he is running winxp, and we both had ADSL connections.

Thanks y'all

Psyhke
01-11-2003, 11:18 AM
One idea...

Look in to setting up a VPN (Virtual Private Network) connection. You can enable netbios to work over this type of connection. Win2K and XP can do this as clients out of the box, but I can't remember if you need 2K Server on one end for it to work. I've set it up before using Win98 and NT Server 4, and it was kind of tricky, but perhaps it's gotten easier since then.

DaForce
01-11-2003, 11:48 AM
hmmm VPN, didnt think of that.... good idea!!. i will have a look at it. Both machines are running the Professional variant of the operatins systems. So i might have to download a VPN server app.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

elvis
01-12-2003, 07:54 AM
i assume you mean netbui, and not netbios. they are two very different things.

DaForce
01-12-2003, 09:08 AM
Nope, I mean Netbios.

Blood uses the netbios protocol for lan games.

elvis
01-12-2003, 10:08 AM
netbios isn't a protocol per se. netbios uses the SMB (server message block) protocol, which runs on top of TCP/IP. (indeed, SMB is a TCP protocol, utilising TCP ports 137 for standard communication and 139 for encrypted).

you cannot have netbios without tcp/ip running, however you can use netbui without tcp/ip running, as netbui is a UDP (or "connectionless") protocol.

microsoft initially used netbui as the default protocol to run netbios (or SMB, or microsoft file sharing, or whatever you want to call it) as back in the 486 days a connectionless UDP protocol was more desierable due to the lack of overhead in datagram transmission. when the world was running 10baseT networks over coax networks, as well as token ring style networks, this was a welcome idea.

however, people soon learned about the inherent dangers with connectionless networks sending data that was somewhat sensitive, and microsoft finally agreed that TCP/IP was a better protocol. seeing as the rest of teh world was already using it for 5 years, mcicrosoft had no choice. (but then again, microsoft like the idea of making everyone change to their system rather than vice versa).

it was also quite apparent to anyone with half a brain that with the advent of the pentium processor fast ethernet networks that the extra overhead in TCP/IP affected system performance as much as spitball would affect a tank.

now, back to the issue at hand: most PC based games use one of two protocols to communicate: either IPX or TCP/IP. i doubt very much that a game would use netbios wich is primarily a network filesystem style protocol (designed for sending large chunks of data at not so regular intervals).

a quick search on google confirms this, as blood was based on the "build" engine (the same network and graphics engine for duke nukem 3d, etc) which used IPX as it's network gaming protocol, and not netbios.

the bad news is IPX won't work over the internet (as most conenctions to the net use TCP/IP).

the good news is there are plenty of IPX-TCP/IP wrappers, which will roll a IPX datagram in a TCP/IP datagram and send it over the web. very handy. i remember vaguely a free one that was bundled with games like hexen and heretic years ago. search google for your solution.

elvis
01-12-2003, 10:11 AM
bingo - found it. kali is what you're after. it's a TCP/IP wrapper for the IPX protocol.

http://www.kali.net/

looks like the site has gone some serious changes since i last was there nigh on 8 years ago. dig around and see what you find.

DaForce
01-12-2003, 12:04 PM
Ok cool, i will have a look into it. And hopefully all will go well.

Thanks for you help.

p.s. here is a screen shot from blood which lead me to believe that it was using netbios.

elvis
01-12-2003, 09:59 PM
it's probably using netbios to name your machine, which sounds weird. i've never known a game to bother with that. it seems as though it's certainly using netbios over IPX by the screenshot you've attached.

i wish people would just use standard implementations! :)

DaForce
01-12-2003, 10:57 PM
Yeah i reckon... ahh well i will try kali tonight, and see if i can get it to work.

so much trouble for a game...... :-)

elvis
01-13-2003, 11:38 PM
mate, the old classics are worth it. :thumbsup:

DaForce
01-14-2003, 02:10 AM
Damn straight, cant get enough of that Blood :-)

Unfortunately, i have hit a snag....well more of a brick wall shaped snag. Basically i have a Netgear RT314 ADSL router, and Kali does not work at all thru these routers. So i will have to go cold turkey and plug the adsl modem straight into my computer....just to play Blood, but it will be worth it...me hopes :-)

elvis
01-14-2003, 02:23 AM
is it just a port forwarding issue? the router should be able to forward the ports you need directly to your machine through the web config.

DaForce
01-14-2003, 02:31 AM
Yeah i know, but the way the Netgear router handles port forwarding it just conflicts with the way Kali works, its the only router that has that problem (other than the routers that are rebadged netgears)

There is pages of stuff about it on the Kali forums.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.