PDA

View Full Version : Sony President Predicts End of PC Gaming MOD EDIT:(Kutaragi: PS3 A 'Computer'!)

havokzprodigy
06-05-2006, 09:36 PM
UPDATE!
PS3 A 'Computer', Not A Console
In remarks made to Japanese website Impress Watch, and translated by consumer website Beyond3D, President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Ken Kutaragi has commented in more detail on the concept that the PlayStation 3 is a computer, rather than a game console.
Kutaragi pointedly commented of the next-gen console, which is due to launch this November at dual price points of $499 and $599 in North America: "We don't say it's a game console (*laugh*) - PlayStation 3 is clearly a computer, unlike the PlayStations [released] so far."

He went on to outline a scenario where many parts of the PS3 were upgradable, much more like a PC, noting: "Since PS3 is a computer, there are no "models" but "configurations"", and continuing (though talking in the theoretical): "I think it's okay to release a [extended PS3] configuration every year". It's clear from the comments that Sony is indicating that it will be possible to upgrade hard drives and perhaps even other components easily.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=9642

Legacy post below.....

http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/comments_news.phtml?id=060106_4

"Phil Harrison, president of Sony Computer Entertainment's Worldwide Studios, addresses the issue of Sony's alleged copying of the Wii motion-sensitive controller with their own PS3 tilt-sensitive controller, but what's even more precious is Phil's prediction that PS3 will literally kill the PC as a gaming platform:"

archerx
06-05-2006, 09:38 PM
Since when do we listen to sony about the future?

Betamax
Minidisc
ATRAC
UMD
Blueray?

Their track record doesn't seem so good....

DevilHacker
06-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Sony needs to watch what they say… this is something like the fifth irate comment this past week…

ThomasMahler
06-05-2006, 09:47 PM
It's the same thing everytime next-gen consoles come out - Molyneux and many others said the same thing 5 years back or so. And as the first Playstation came out, there was exactly the same buzz.

It's boring.

JeroenDStout
06-05-2006, 09:49 PM
Yes, he would predict that, wouldn't he?

It's funny, though; "The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC.":

So a playstation computer which fulfills all the tasks of a regular computer.. that's like...a PC. PC is dead, hail the PC!

sforsyth
06-05-2006, 09:50 PM
"... but what's even more precious is Phil's prediction that PS3 will literally kill the PC as a gaming platform:"

Ha, ha, yeah, sure. Because EVERYONE will buy a PS3. Why simply buy a game for your PC, when you can simply buy an expensive console and THEN buy the game? People already have PCs, they're not going to throw them away even if they do buy a PS3.

Johny
06-05-2006, 09:52 PM
ahahah, i am very dissapointed lately with sony...they lost completely the meaning of the word "gaming".

Kaostick
06-05-2006, 09:54 PM
Thanks for posting this, I needed a good laugh.. :)

I wonder what video card I will be able to get in November for the price of a PS3.... :D

AlbertArt
06-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Sony amuses me... Greatly. People who have the money will buy the PS3 no doubt for its multi-purpose features -- Karaoke Machine, Toaster oven, oh and it plays games and movies too.

The end of this, the end of that... perhaps its the end of the Playstation dominance. For the price point alone, alot of people say it will be... and I agree. As the technology becomes more expensive to produce, game consoles and games (with the exception of the Wii) will only get higher in price. Sony's push to make every home a showroom for the Sony lifestyle may backfire on them. I wonder how much the PS4 will cost?

Fonix
06-05-2006, 09:56 PM
Honestly I think soon well see the end of console gaming, welll at least at the rate the consoles are becoming more like fully fledged PCs.

ultramedia
06-05-2006, 10:06 PM
I just can't get into the hand controllers.

Nothing beats a mouse in one hand and a keyboard in the other...

JWRodegher
06-05-2006, 10:21 PM
Never understood the console-pc gamin war. A console is a game dedicated computer. It has been, and it'll always be. No matter how great a pc can get, a console is dedicated to gamin, it'll work faster, and lighter.

Personally I even though about getting a console to keep my computer game free. Nowadays games take 3gbs on your hard disk, I wouldn't mind being able to play without even installing.

Zephyrpower
06-05-2006, 10:30 PM
Thanks for posting this, I needed a good laugh.. :)

I wonder what video card I will be able to get in November for the price of a PS3.... :D

Not only that, but you could get a whole Dell PC with a flat panel monitor for less than the PS3 AND have enough to upgrade the Ram and Graphics card a little bit too, or at least spend a couple hundred on a decent graphics card!

Seriously that price is sooo outrageous, I would rather just use it to get a new PC!

General Midi
06-05-2006, 10:32 PM
http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/comments_news.phtml?id=060106_4

"Phil Harrison, president of Sony Computer Entertainment's Worldwide Studios, addresses the issue of Sony's alleged copying of the Wii motion-sensitive controller with their own PS3 tilt-sensitive controller, but what's even more precious is Phil's prediction that PS3 will literally kill the PC as a gaming platform:"

I honestly don't understand such statements of CEO's & presidents like this.

For instance, I now remember a statement of Bill Gates predicting the end of (portable) media like dvd's.

Making such goofy statements being the big shots they are.

I sometimes wonder if there's some ulterial motive behind this, as they can't be thát dumb.
Then again, if they'd expect to accomplish anything by saying such things......
They can. (....?)

sheppyboy2000
06-05-2006, 10:45 PM
You know what? As much as I wish I could say these frontmen are the voice of their represented companies, people like Reggie, Phil, and Peter stand as nothing more than the Don Kings of the gaming arena. They are supposed to talk trash, generate hype, and hopefully not make an ass of themselves and their companies. Sadly, this never works out. Between Reggie claiming their way of gaming is correct to Sony claiming games are shifting to the fourth dimension (gee, you mean I'll have TIME to beat these hundred hour "masterpieces" of drudgery events in hopes of cheaply expanding the playtime of a 20 hour game?), these frontmen should be taken about as seriously as Xbox 360's backwards compatibility.

mech7
06-05-2006, 10:58 PM
Amazing how sony seems to be able to generate about every week some new bad publicity about them.. The brits made a rapport recently about DRM.. wonder who gets mentioned :p
http://www.apig.org.uk/index/APIG_DRM_Report-final.pdf

PhantomDesign
06-05-2006, 10:59 PM
Never understood the console-pc gamin war. A console is a game dedicated computer. It has been, and it'll always be. No matter how great a pc can get, a console is dedicated to gamin, it'll work faster, and lighter.

Personally I even though about getting a console to keep my computer game free. Nowadays games take 3gbs on your hard disk, I wouldn't mind being able to play without even installing.

I agree with most of that, however just becasuse something is dedicated to a task doesn't always mean it's better. There are still many advantages to PC gaming . . . MODing, control choices, high-resolution, not needing x-box-live to play multiplayer. Some of the advantages exist because it's not so dedicated.

Not only that, but you could get a whole Dell PC with a flat panel monitor for less than the PS3 AND have enough to upgrade the Ram and Graphics card a little bit too, or at least spend a couple hundred on a decent graphics card!

Seriously that price is sooo outrageous, I would rather just use it to get a new PC!

Immagine the possibilities of building a PC (yourself) for that price.

SovereignKnight
06-05-2006, 11:05 PM
I think these comments are funny because when I look at screenshots and demo movies featuring games from these "next gen" consoles, I always chuckle to myself and think, "these games look almost as good as my PC games from two years ago."

Sure, playability and portablity speak a lot when it comes to consoles. But consoles will never be able to match the raw power of a PC. There may be a brief overlap in terms of technology that gives consoles an edge, but trust me, it's very brief. By the time the PS3 comes out, PCs will be (again) far ahead of the curve, and a year from now, the PS3 will look silly by comparisson.

DDS
06-05-2006, 11:09 PM
like we said in another Harrisson episode...he is an idiot, talking trash

petertan
06-05-2006, 11:19 PM
I honestly don't understand such statements of CEO's & presidents like this.

For instance, I now remember a statement of Bill Gates predicting the end of (portable) media like dvd's.

Making such goofy statements being the big shots they are.

I sometimes wonder if there's some ulterial motive behind this, as they can't be thát dumb.
Then again, if they'd expect to accomplish anything by saying such things......
They can. (....?)

Yeah I agree it's goofy and maybe even irresponsible to make statements like that. But hey, majority of the world isn't media/tech-savvy and i suppose by making such statements he'll actually convince this majority of ppl that it's actually true. I think he can only increase sales by doing so. Just a theory.

Not fooling us geeks though :D

-pete-

EtherDragn
06-05-2006, 11:58 PM

Yeah it would be absolutely impossible to make a PC input device that features a gyroscope interface...

ambient-whisper
06-06-2006, 03:32 AM
I agree with most of that, however just becasuse something is dedicated to a task doesn't always mean it's better. There are still many advantages to PC gaming . . . MODing, control choices, high-resolution, not needing x-box-live to play multiplayer. Some of the advantages exist because it's not so dedicated.

Immagine the possibilities of building a PC (yourself) for that price.

ofcourse the arguement to that would be....what you miss as a pc gamer is the HUGE variety of games that consoles have. grand tourismo, metal gears, silent hills, zeldas, marios, icos, god of wars, and list goes on forever.

plus as far as multiplayer goes, its so much more fun playing with pals beside you, and not alone in a room against total strangers over the internet while cussing about how much a certain player is a n00b on your team, and the reason for your loss. ( its so much more fun to say it to someones face anyway ;) )

i dont remember the last time i played a good mod ( or even caring to play one ), or when higher resolutions made games look better.

just trying to play the devils advocate role here.

( regardless, i use both and have fun on both. but if i had to choose a platform for gaming, the PC would not be it. ( unless you talk about warcraft 3, then theres no choice but to go the PC route )

Ghostscape
06-06-2006, 03:45 AM
So despite the fact we stick games on every electronic device we possibly can (watches, phones, etc) clearly the PS3 is going to obliterate our desire to play games on anything but a PS3 :D

I really don't understand why Sony has decided they need to constantly make outrageous comments about how awesome the PS3 is going to be.

Michael5188
06-06-2006, 03:46 AM
I don't think PC gaming will ever go away. But consoles do have many benefits. I enjoy both, don't see what's wrong with that. Can't say I'm getting a new console anytime soon though, just so much money. Thing about spending money on upgrading my computer instead, is it benefits me in more ways than just gaming.

PureFire
06-06-2006, 04:20 AM
HA!..They say that when currently the PS3 is having major memory issues and can only output half the amout of tri's as the xbox360.

By the time this does hit the market...probably xmas...PC's will have surpassed console specs.

Zephyrpower
06-06-2006, 04:46 AM
I don't think PC gaming will ever go away. But consoles do have many benefits. I enjoy both, don't see what's wrong with that. Can't say I'm getting a new console anytime soon though, just so much money. Thing about spending money on upgrading my computer instead, is it benefits me in more ways than just gaming.

Quoted for 100% agreement. I like both, but it's been awhile since I've had the cash to buy a new console system. Right now my most recent machine is a playstation, and it's been so long since I even plugged it in---I don't even know if it still works! (Seriously, it's been about 3 years, since i've played my playstation)

Right now, though, I don't even want to get distracted by any kind of game(s). I'm trying to focus on other important goals like getting a career and since it's summer--hopefully I'll get to have some fun outdoors and improve my social life--all the while I'll be saving $600!
Even if I do decide to play a console game, I'll more than like play with friends and let them spend all the money!

BillSpradlin
06-06-2006, 04:47 AM
With all the talk Sony has been throwing around since E3 it almost makes me NOT want to buy a PS3, just out of spite. But I won't buy it anyway because console gaming has never been of interest to me.

PyRoT
06-06-2006, 05:45 AM
HA!..They say that when currently the PS3 is having major memory issues and can only output half the amout of tri's as the xbox360.

By the time this does hit the market...probably xmas...PC's will have surpassed console specs.

Can I ask where you got this information from? It sounds quite serious

Peddy
06-06-2006, 06:32 AM
I want to buy a ps3, I really, really do. But i honestly dont see anyway i can justify buying one for that price, unless i win the lottery.

and a little more critically, why the hell would a major games technology developer make such a claim with what appears to be pride? the games industry is getting stale enough as it is, we dont need another competitor (PCs) 'eliminated' (however unlikely, as weve already established).

oh well. maybe the PC will be eliminated. I cant say anything for sure, and sony sure as hell cant, at least not until their console is on the shelves.

Peddy
06-06-2006, 06:39 AM
Yeah it would be absolutely impossible to make a PC input device that features a gyroscope interface...

haha yeah. i have one sitting next to me thats as old as the PSone.

Apoclypse
06-06-2006, 07:02 AM
i think it has something to do with those corny powerpoint presentations thay show every year at e3. they have to get peoples attention somehow, cause it certaintly isn't with their presentations especially this year.

Cyborgguineapig
06-06-2006, 07:02 AM
The PC game library available to purchase from stores like EBgames and Gamestop are almost completely non existent nowadays. There is only like one shelf row approximately 3 feet in length which holds like 10 titles. However, PC gaming isn't that close to dying off. Just remember if this whole console war stuff goes in the shits, we can always fall back on valve Steam - like technology to distribute PC games.

Btw I hardly buy from the mall now ever since they chainsawed their PC games from the shelves. Fry's electronics is still a safe haven for PC game purchases though.

BigJay
06-06-2006, 07:20 AM
sadly the game stops and electronic butiques have all gone for console games because they are easier to resell and package than the PC games. They sell as much used games as new ones.

I find more PC games in Target and at computer fairs than the chain stores in the mall.

Game publishers will always make PC ports of their games as long as they develope the games on them. Look at the 360 the games were developed on Apple G5s. This is case with most games. Unless a contract ties the publisher's games to a certain platform.

In any case I've heard this a million times before so I attribute it to trash talking. Gets everyone pumped and ready to lay out their rent money for a game console.

It will be interesting to see how many systems they sell at the price they are quoting. I'm sure they will sell a huge number but will it be enough to keep them in the game.

emeyers
06-06-2006, 07:43 AM
Btw I hardly buy from the mall now ever since they chainsawed their PC games from the shelves. Fry's electronics is still a safe haven for PC game purchases though.

Yes! I love Fry's because their PC games section is bigger than the other platforms :D

Slapdash
06-06-2006, 08:42 AM
I am amazed how a out of context little comment can bring hype or bad publicity to something.
I am also amazed at how many people take things on face value.

The article is taken out of contecs(sp?).

Phil made that comment after the interviewer asked him if he is worried that Microsoft has Live Anywhere coming and that they basically have the PC market to themselves.

Thats why he said "WE" AS IN SONY doesnt need the PC.
Now the whole internet is full of SONY says it will kill the PC etc. etc.

Simply amazing

here is the quote.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Speaking of online, Microsoft has just announced "Live Anywhere", an integrated Windows-Xbox-Mobile environment. Is that something you're worried about because you don't have the same access to the PC market as Microsoft does?
Harrison: No, it doesn't concern me and I don't think it concerns the consumer either. Once you adopt a game system as your primary entertainment device, that's what you want. We think that Playstation 3 is the place where our users will be doing their gaming, their movie watching, their Web browsing and a lot of other computer entertainment functions. That will satisfy them. Playstation 3 is a computer. We don't need the PC.

Peddy
06-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Corrected the misguided public

oh thank god. you had me worried that Harrison was an idiot.

Slapdash
06-06-2006, 09:06 AM
oh thank god. you had me worried that Harrison was an idiot.

Well I wont go that far... ;)

DevilHacker
06-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Immagine the possibilities of building a PC (yourself) for that price. Yep... Give anyone an $100 for an Pentium D (805) and you just got yourself a 4.0Ghz processor that outperforms the $1000 AMD FX-60... Funny how the world works hu?
:D

Add another $200, and you got yourself an SLI setup... Sounds like for $300, relatively speaking, anyone could have an monster of an gaming system that will outperform the rest + any console...

ParamountCell
06-06-2006, 09:40 AM
I would like you to imagine that this guy was somehow able to take over the gaming world, between him and ken kuturagi , mario would end up looking like this.

http://www.4colorrebellion.net/media/pics/06/06/ahh.jpg
Super Smash Brothers DOJO would look like this.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jmcOn8j6Y-w&feature=Views&page=3&t=t&f=b

and umm sonic may end up looking like this.

http://www.animalpicturesarchive.com/animal/clipart/HedgehogClipart/pani056-Hedgehog-clipart.jpg

Just kidding, but on a real note, we have all come to accept that this guy hasnt got a clue what he is talking about. I think the real danger is consoles becoming powerful PC's this would kinda ruin the gaming world.

tozz
06-06-2006, 10:09 AM
I am amazed how a out of context little comment can bring hype or bad publicity to something.
I am also amazed at how many people take things on face value.

The article is taken out of contecs(sp?).

Phil made that comment after the interviewer asked him if he is worried that Microsoft has Live Anywhere coming and that they basically have the PC market to themselves.

Thats why he said "WE" AS IN SONY doesnt need the PC.
Now the whole internet is full of SONY says it will kill the PC etc. etc.

Simply amazing

here is the quote.

SPIEGEL ONLINE: Speaking of online, Microsoft has just announced "Live Anywhere", an integrated Windows-Xbox-Mobile environment. Is that something you're worried about because you don't have the same access to the PC market as Microsoft does?
Harrison: No, it doesn't concern me and I don't think it concerns the consumer either. Once you adopt a game system as your primary entertainment device, that's what you want. We think that Playstation 3 is the place where our users will be doing their gaming, their movie watching, their Web browsing and a lot of other computer entertainment functions. That will satisfy them. Playstation 3 is a computer. We don't need the PC.
Welcome to CG Talk, people here need somebody to hate and throw shit at, makes them feel better I guess :rolleyes:

As for Phil, well... replace him, and replace him quick, he will drag the entire company down with him, and now after the official announcement of the DSLR system and Carl Zeiss lenses I can't have that! :)

SHEPEIRO
06-06-2006, 10:37 AM
i know im a bit late and weve already established harrison is a dweeb but he didnt say pc gamings dead, but i just want a quick rant about pcs-

pcs are not a platform like Playstation xbox etc, they are an evolving technology, any technological obstacle in their way will be assimilated, this is because no single company owns the tech. now i play games on my consoles, but there will always be pelople that will develope games for PCs for starters you dont have to pay liscencing, so its great for home brew and start ups. PC gaming will never be killed or even negatively effected much by console gaming (in terms of market share), but console gaming could?

Slapdash
06-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Welcome to CG Talk, people here need somebody to hate and throw shit at, makes them feel better I guess :rolleyes:

As for Phil, well... replace him, and replace him quick, he will drag the entire company down with him, and now after the official announcement of the DSLR system and Carl Zeiss lenses I can't have that! :)

Thanks.... yeah I suppose they do.

BigJay
06-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Since when do we listen to sony about the future?

Betamax
Minidisc
ATRAC
UMD
Blueray?

Their track record doesn't seem so good....

Forgot

Hidden DRM Rootkits

CupOWonton
06-06-2006, 03:06 PM
I dont think we should take him seriously, he was obviously caught off guard in a back room somewhere after getting high with his immaginary friend Towelie.

jrsunshine
06-06-2006, 03:15 PM
Wow. Sony is so wrong on this. PC Gaming and Console Gaming are two completely different cultures. There are extremely dedicated PC gaming communities out there that may never play a console game. For that matter, those communities look at console versions of their game of choice as steps backward. Battlefield is a perfect example. The console version is nice but nothing compares to the original.

Rick Flowers
06-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Fear of your own technology becoming obsolete in the future, is exactly what makes someone say something like this.

gabe28
06-06-2006, 04:21 PM
I think Sony's really getting nervous and I think that's where some of these ridiculous statements are coming from. It remains to be seen how this next generation console war will come out but Sony's not in that great a position due to a number of factors: too expensive, coming out so much later than the 360... etc. And they'll be loosing a bucket full of cash for every console sold too so they really, really need to hold on to their dominance but there's a very real chance they won't be able to. Yeah, they're getting anxious and just over compesating for their own insecurity.

tozz
06-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Amazing, really...
People, take up basic english or whatever it's called where you live.

Sony didn't need the PC with the PS1, not with the PS2 and they won't with PS3 either.
Same thing goes for our beloved Nintendo, no PC needed... That's what the statement is about, it's a direct answer to the Microsoft combined platform thingie, it's really not that hard to understand, but it requires you to actually read it :rolleyes:

As for the source.. well, it sure is a trip :D Even a copy-paste translation of the german text makes more sense then their biased "cut to fit my ideas quote".

ThirdEye
06-06-2006, 04:53 PM
You gotta consider that unfortunately lots of people crack games instead of buying them, that alone wil make the pc resist.

However i agree with who said that a mouse + a keyboard can't be beaten.

Rick Flowers
06-06-2006, 05:10 PM
same here. Mouse, keyboard = happiness.

And ThirdEye, nice avatar

pixelmonk
06-06-2006, 05:57 PM
Amazing, really...
People, take up basic english or whatever it's called where you live.

Sony didn't need the PC with the PS1, not with the PS2 and they won't with PS3 either.
Same thing goes for our beloved Nintendo, no PC needed... That's what the statement is about, it's a direct answer to the Microsoft combined platform thingie, it's really not that hard to understand, but it requires you to actually read it :rolleyes:

As for the source.. well, it sure is a trip :D Even a copy-paste translation of the german text makes more sense then their biased "cut to fit my ideas quote".

You may want to think about what you write before you write it. "Taking up english" has nothing to do with anything in this thread. Thinking before you write... that does. There is a difference. Don't be cutesy by telling others to do that when you clearly didn't take your own advice. >:)

Sony, the PS division, doesn't need the PC, but other divisions within Sony do. Sony is more than just the Playstation. It's more than just TVs and electronics.

psyop63b
06-06-2006, 06:20 PM
archerx: Excellent recap of Sony's track record!!! :thumbsup:

Sony says the PS3 will replace computers? I guess they know something we don't; like Sony's infamous "Rootkit" may enable them to destroy every computer infected with it at the moment Sony's CEO gives the signal. I guess my Vaio PC will go up in smoke too.

Although PC gaming is alive and well (I assume), I was never a PC gamer. $300 almost every year for a new graphics card, $100's more for more RAM... heaven help you if you need a CPU/mobo upgrade... then drivers, drivers, DRIVERS, conflicts, crashes, installs, etc etc. NO THANK YOU!

If Sony is living in my world, they're way late in announcine the death of PC gaming. To me, PC gaming died shortly after Doom 2.

Saurus
06-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Although PC gaming is alive and well (I assume), I was never a PC gamer. $300 almost every year for a new graphics card, $100's more for more RAM... heaven help you if you need a CPU/mobo upgrade... then drivers, drivers, DRIVERS, conflicts, crashes, installs, etc etc. NO THANK YOU!

If Sony is living in my world, they're way late in announcine the death of PC gaming. To me, PC gaming died shortly after Doom 2.

Different stroke for different folks.

If Sony was living in my world, all console would had died after PS1.

Don't know about buying a $300 every year for a new card, but then again every time you upgrade your system, your CG programs gets even more happier...can't say that with consoles.

DAZKevin
06-06-2006, 06:41 PM
I have been a long time Nintendo fanboy, and think it is really unwise to try to cross the lines. People who game on a PC game differently than those on a console game.

Trying to "kill the PC game market" or even steal it, is like trying to invade Russia...
I generally don't game on a PC because I need shorter stints of gameplay. I don't play FPS, so I don't want/need the mouse Keyboard combo. That isn't to say I don't like that combo (I certainly wouldn't want to play StarCraft, or Age of Empires with a control pad) it is to say that my gaming preference is in something that doesn't require installing, upgrading cards, or learning extensive control schemes...
I think of console gaming more like fast food. It is cheaper, faster and fills a craving. PC gaming certainly has some of that, but most PC games are designed to be larger experiences...

pixelmonk
06-06-2006, 06:44 PM
archerx: Excellent recap of Sony's track record!!! :thumbsup:

that's why Sony still publishes and develops games for the PC.

SePu
06-06-2006, 07:17 PM
( regardless, i use both and have fun on both. but if i had to choose a platform for gaming, the PC would not be it. ( unless you talk about warcraft 3, then theres no choice but to go the PC route )

First person games ... The PC still is the big enchilada here ..... Keyboard + Mouse .... you cant beat , the gamePad in console are a pain in A$$ when you play first person Games ...

PC wont away ...

PhantomDesign
06-06-2006, 07:20 PM
PCs will exist regardless of what consoles are available & the PC is an open market not specifically controlled by any single manufacturer (maybe Windows, but MS doesn’t control PC software/hardware). Also, PCs are used for a lot more than gaming, meaning people will own them regardless of available gaming platforms. For those reasons alone it will be impossible to kill the PC gaming market.

There are some advantages to consoles (mostly multiple players on a single console), but unless they actually become PCs in every way and do a better job, it’s ridiculous to suggest that it will ever replace the PC.

----

As far as stored not carrying PC games; I buy all of my games online anyways. You can get on amazon.com and buy a used PC game for about $10 to $20, whereas it would cost $40 at gamestop used. Even new, you usually save about 10% (or more) & then another 7% on tax.

Clanger
06-06-2006, 07:28 PM
Been playing Computer games since 1983 and I've never bought a console and I'll be very suprised if I ever will. If PC games died I'd just stop playing games :shrug: Probably waste too much of my time anyway.

tozz
06-06-2006, 10:24 PM
You may want to think about what you write before you write it. "Taking up english" has nothing to do with anything in this thread. Thinking before you write... that does. There is a difference. Don't be cutesy by telling others to do that when you clearly didn't take your own advice. >:)

Sony, the PS division, doesn't need the PC, but other divisions within Sony do. Sony is more than just the Playstation. It's more than just TVs and electronics.
If you can't comprehend the language I would think it has everything to do with it. People here are basing stuff on a misquote, taken out of context and then spiced with bias.

And again, this is about the PS (division) of Sony, nothing else, so if they make microwaves or not is totally out of the picture, keep to the subject, no? And "think before you write". And again, I read the real interview, so I did take my own advice, and judging from the continued posts based on the first quote I'd say I was spot on.

tx_rx
06-06-2006, 10:35 PM
What will Sony say to the next Gen PC video cards that will inexoriably appear over the lifespan of the ps3&360. As the graphic cards, ram, online and storage capabilities can rocket on PCs, (not cheaply I grant you) how do you update a PS3 with the next wave of graphic api and techniques. Been interesting seeing Sony plug the gameplay ethos card along with the fanboy-esque remarks on it's cell technology.

It'll all come out in the wash as they say. I'll wait till everyone has made their standards become true standards.
(ie: not buy blu-ray system and hope it's supported in years to come).

Kaostick
06-06-2006, 10:39 PM
First person games ... The PC still is the big enchilada here ..... Keyboard + Mouse .... you cant beat , the gamePad in console are a pain in A$$ when you play first person Games ...

PC wont away ...

Personally, I wish there was some way to run around with an analog in one hand, and actually aim at the screen with the other.. Or what if you could jerk you analog hand to the side to make your character duck and roll.. hmm....

kmest
06-06-2006, 10:41 PM
yeah he's right.....i will leave my PC and sit for hours infront of my TV,playing civilization 6 with a controller copied from WII,.......

wasnt he the one who told PS5 will be as powerfull and creative as a human mind????hahahahha

Sonk
06-06-2006, 10:49 PM
eh, when does "predictions" count as CG news? :P close thread, or move it to general discussion.

ParamountCell
06-07-2006, 12:50 AM
eh, when does "predictions" count as CG news? :P close thread, or move it to general discussion.

The news is that, phil made a prediction.

JeroenDStout
06-07-2006, 07:08 AM
And we aren't generally discussing, we're biting heads ;)

HellBoy
06-07-2006, 12:58 PM
The news is that, phil made a prediction.

lol

nothing will ever kill the magic that pc games offers.
The prediction sounds way too stupid

havokzprodigy
06-07-2006, 02:03 PM
The ps fanboys are easy to spot.:)

D-3
06-07-2006, 02:52 PM
USB = keyboard, mouse, printers, photocam, and others...

use the brain guys... why you need the sony keyboard and mouse???, you have a Universal Serial Bus port... (Universal)

if kill or not the pc games i´m dont know.. but to play good pcgames you need to upgrade your computer every time$$$$

Sorry i dont have this money :)

c ya!!

pixelmonk
06-07-2006, 05:31 PM
The ps fanboys are easy to spot.:)

so are nintendo fanboys

pixelmonk
06-07-2006, 05:34 PM
USB = keyboard, mouse, printers, photocam, and others...

use the brain guys... why you need the sony keyboard and mouse???, you have a Universal Serial Bus port... (Universal)

if kill or not the pc games i´m dont know.. but to play good pcgames you need to upgrade your computer every time$$$$

Sorry i dont have this money :)

c ya!!

nah.. that's a misnomer that people keep throwing out there because other people have said it in the past. You don't need to upgrade your computer "every time" or even every year. I agree... yes, use your brain.

jdonnelly
06-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Ack!!! Did you guys hear about this??? Its a quote from Kutaragi I found over at kotaku.com

"games on PS3 are running on the PS3 with "basic configuration" - software will have different relationship with hardware (including non-gaming applications) in the future - software module will be made inside the PS3 (such as OS?) so PS3 will have no problem adopting new hardware parts (this doesn't mean you can upgrade but just different versions of PS3) - thus two models of PS3 are actually two different configurations, there might be other configurations in future, such as: enhanced version of CELL, more memory etc. The higher-end model of PS3 might be released in future."

Does this mean that if there are different versions of hardware in different models of PS3, then games will have to be configured to each person's model like you do on a PC game??? wtf is Sony doing?!

tozz
06-07-2006, 09:11 PM
I wonder when the mods are gonna wake up and change the topic title (as has happened so many times in the past).

havokzprodigy
06-07-2006, 09:29 PM
I wonder when the mods are gonna wake up and change the topic title (as has happened so many times in the past).

Dude he is saying that the ps3 will have the traditional features that a pc has, rendering pc's useless in your home as you will be doing all the past things you did on the computer now on the ps3.

What are you not getting?

tozz
06-07-2006, 10:44 PM
Dude he is saying that the ps3 will have the traditional features that a pc has, rendering pc's useless in your home as you will be doing all the past things you did on the computer now on the ps3.

No, he's answering the question on what Sony is going to do to compete with Microsoft and their new multiplatform thing. He sais Sony doesn't need the PC as a plattform and he thinks alot of people will do ordinary tasks as websurfing on the tv/ps3 in the future. This is in line with what Nintendo is doing with DS, offering Opera for people to surf.
And again, he sais _some_ ordinary things can/will be done on the playstation, like watching movies, listening to music and browse the web, there's not a single word in the interview sugesting people will stop using PCs, that they're useless or that the end of PC gaming is here. Just realise your site has rewritten the the answer to their own liking.

Read, Comprehend, Think.

barcode
06-07-2006, 11:09 PM
I haven't read the whole thread but my two cent -

Until you can customize and modify games as easily as you can on a PC on a console, the PC will not be dead. The mod scene is huge and the customization is one of the reasons why games like the sims are so popular. While it is possible for this to be done on a console, and some games support limited customization or level editors, none of them are anywhere near what you can do on a pc. It sounds like MS is working on making this more possible with the integration of pc gaming, cell phone gaming and 360, but still it sounds like it will be extremely limited in what you can do.

havokzprodigy
06-07-2006, 11:28 PM
No, he's answering the question on what Sony is going to do to compete with Microsoft and their new multiplatform thing. He sais Sony doesn't need the PC as a plattform and he thinks alot of people will do ordinary tasks as websurfing on the tv/ps3 in the future. This is in line with what Nintendo is doing with DS, offering Opera for people to surf.
And again, he sais _some_ ordinary things can/will be done on the playstation, like watching movies, listening to music and browse the web, there's not a single word in the interview sugesting people will stop using PCs, that they're useless or that the end of PC gaming is here. Just realise your site has rewritten the the answer to their own liking.

Read, Comprehend, Think.

It seems that the entire internet seems to disagree with you.
Your doing the same thing your saying the original website posted is doing. Rewwriting the answer to your liking.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=We+believe+that+the+PS3+will+be+the+place+where+our+users+play+games%2C+watch+films%2C+browse+the+Web%2C+and+use+other+%5Bhome%5D+computer+functions%2C%22+said+Harrison.+%22The+PlayStation+3+is+a+computer.+We+do+not+need+the+PC&btnG=Google+Search

tozz
06-07-2006, 11:39 PM
It seems that the entire internet seems to disagree with you.
Your doing the same thing your saying the original website posted is doing. Rewwriting the answer to your liking.

http://http://www.google.com/search?q=%22We+believe+that+the+PS3+will+be+the+place+where+our+users+play+games,+watch+films,+browse+the+Web,+and+use+other+%5Bhome%5D+computer+functions,%22+said+Harrison.+%22The+PlayStation+3+is+a+computer.+We+do+not+need+the+PC.%22&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&start=10&sa=N
Who is "the entire internet"?
Have you even read the interview, or you're just biting the hate wave passing by?
The real interview was translated on page 3 in this thread, also, the google translation makes more sense than the site you posted. The link you posted now however goes to w3.org, I dunno what they have to do with this.
I'm not rewriting the answer (how would you know, you obviously haven't read the interview considering your statements), I'm merely using logic and common sense and reading it without the "hate mode" on.

As a prevention for the "fanboy" comments do a search on my posts and find out I'm not going either Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft.

ParamountCell
06-07-2006, 11:43 PM
I think this may be what you are refering to.

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,419072,00.html

JeroenDStout
06-07-2006, 11:43 PM
Regardless of what he meant, he voiced it in a way many people can't handle. And that's always a bad thing. You can't use 'they're idiots' as an argument, you need to watch your step, especially if you're known for silly statements and known for having to sell a console that may or may not be filled with confetty instead of coolness.

EDIT: ParamountCell
That's pretty definitive :) what.. what a silly person. If you add all functionality of a PC to a console it's a PC with a stronger graphical card. Which is what I'm currently using already!

Still, he has a point, somewhere. People like easy things, people like no sliders, no settings, no control, just pop in a DVD and play. And I guess they like that for a lot of things. I almost see a market for the PC version of this. Some form of NON-MICROSOFT system that guides you through setting up your PC, internet browser, game settings, partisioning..and installing things. Plug-and-play for the PC. The PC could do with it, it's overly complicated without all the sub-layers.
Granted, Microsoft does a fair load of simplifieng things, but then again, someone I knew once looked up their error code and found: "This program has made an error that should not happen."

which is awesome

Anyway. PC is not going away. It's just below mainstream for now. But when this disgusting commercial wave is gone, PCs'll be standing there, saying "HI-... This program has made an error and must close." And we'll laugh, and laugh, and hug the PC's and they'll warn us meatbags to hitch a ride or start upgrading drivers.

I.. I think I did a fairly poor job at defending PC's here.

havokzprodigy
06-07-2006, 11:48 PM
Hey lets take what we want from it.

If some want to add magic answers to magic questions then so be it.
And I have no reason to be in hate mode. Why would I pre-hate something I'm going to pre-order?

ParamountCell
06-08-2006, 12:30 PM
http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6152485.html

Qslugs
06-08-2006, 07:03 PM
It's the second coming of the C64! Dont forget the C128, TI994a and the All the Atari computers....

cosmonaut
06-08-2006, 07:37 PM
http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6152485.html

"Kutaragi also said that, other than the PS3's current read-only Blu-ray drive, the main reason for the console's high cost was the built-in HDD"

"Unlike a semiconductor chip, HDD cannot help lower the cost of the product. ... As a game console, the price has to, over time, be reduced to the 100 dollar range, but that is hard to do with an HDD. ... That [is why] PS3 pricing is not conforming to conventional pricing for a game console."

HUH???? A 60 GB harddrive is a main factor in $600??? Can't come down in price??? Since when???

I like this quote too:

"The reason it's expensive [is that] instead of concentrating on just the games player, which would have been done in the past, PlayStation 3 is designed to go somewhere else, where it's the center of the living room."

When will they learn....

tozz
06-08-2006, 08:09 PM
I have a hard time figuring out the harddrive thing too, sure, 2.5" drives are pretty expensive, but not that much.
As for media center.. I think they're spot on, and Microsoft is heading this way too (allthough they screwed up major with 360). Apple is going down the same path with Frontrow and the Mac Mini.
Now I'm not saying Sony will do a perfect entertainment solution, but look at what they're providing.

HDMI output, this is something that's shown on CeBit for the PC now and it'll probably take a couple of years for Nvidia and ATI to get their drivers straight (as with H.264 and MPEG2 did).
Linux. This is yet an unknown, but booting into linux running a media player of choice and with the Cell as backbone you could easily do upscaling and other postprocessing live. Check what a stand alone image processor like that is gonna cost you.
Networking, well it speaks for itself.

What you get, if they play it smart, is probably the "ultimate" media center plattform, and it will even play games. Again, I'm not saying this is how things will turn out, but only a fool would've missed what XBMC did for XBOX.

"I only want to play games". Well, the world is bigger than you, Nintendo has realised this and are aiming for non-standard gamers, Microsoft and Sony has also realised this and both aiming for new markets too. I think this is the last time we'll ever see a pure gaming machine from any company, it'll all be more integrated solutions further down the road (as has been said for years).

cosmonaut
06-08-2006, 08:29 PM
"I only want to play games". Well, the world is bigger than you, Nintendo has realised this and are aiming for non-standard gamers, Microsoft and Sony has also realised this and both aiming for new markets too. I think this is the last time we'll ever see a pure gaming machine from any company, it'll all be more integrated solutions further down the road (as has been said for years).

Unless I'm mistaken Nintendo's goal is to bring non-gamers into the G-A-M-I-N-G fold. Also, I've been hearing this convergance line for YEARS. It's along the lines of the smart house and toasters with ip addresses and tv screens. I just want my toaster to make some damned toast! Sure you can use your media center pc as a DVR but most people I know use a dedicated one. Sure you can play DVD's in your xbox/ps2 but how many people really did that for very long? I know 1 guy, everyone else eventually bought dedicated dvd players because they did the job better. When I buy a gaming machine I want 99% of the design of that device to be for playing GAMES. Sony just seems to have lost sight of this.

ParamountCell
06-09-2006, 12:11 AM
Unless I'm mistaken Nintendo's goal is to bring non-gamers into the G-A-M-I-N-G fold. Also, I've been hearing this convergance line for YEARS. It's along the lines of the smart house and toasters with ip addresses and tv screens. I just want my toaster to make some damned toast! Sure you can use your media center pc as a DVR but most people I know use a dedicated one. Sure you can play DVD's in your xbox/ps2 but how many people really did that for very long? I know 1 guy, everyone else eventually bought dedicated dvd players because they did the job better. When I buy a gaming machine I want 99% of the design of that device to be for playing GAMES. Sony just seems to have lost sight of this.

agreed.

Nintendo still has a great deal of focus on gaming, and other features take second place. However, it seems like the other two are trying to create multimedia centeres, this would kill the gaming industry, and we dont want that.

tozz
06-09-2006, 12:16 AM
agreed.

Nintendo still has a great deal of focus on gaming, and other features take second place. However, it seems like the other two are trying to create multimedia centeres, this would kill the gaming industry, and we dont want that.
I'd love to hear this one. Why does multiple functions kill the gaming industry, it's not like they're competing against each other. If anything is killing the industry it's the industry itself.

ParamountCell
06-09-2006, 02:31 AM
I'd love to hear this one. Why does multiple functions kill the gaming industry, it's not like they're competing against each other. If anything is killing the industry it's the industry itself.

Im not saying that having multiple functions is killing the industry. Rather, directing undue attention to these functions is. What I mean is this. IF Sony decide that they want to make the PS3 a multimedia center that just happens to play games, same with Microsoft and the 360, we will see a large amount of people not really caring about the games. I noticed this when I worked for Playstation technical support in the UK, many people said that they bought the ps2 because it was a dvd player, and they often didnt care much for games. Sony has a way of marketing its machines to casual gamers in a very different way to Nintendo. For example, Nintendo still focuses on innovation of gameplay to attract casuals. Sony on the other hand will converge the console with some other multimedia gadget and sell it that way. However you do have a point, the industry is also comiting suicide, by not being innovative enough, it doesnt need another multimedia center, households are already filled with those, it needs inovation.

jbo
06-09-2006, 02:37 AM

because people who just want to play games will get tired of spending hundreds of extra dollars on features that they don't want. i don't want a blu-ray player. it will add absolutely NOTHING to gameplay, yet it's one of sony's justifications for their high price.

PyRoT
06-09-2006, 02:38 AM
Im not saying that having multiple functions is killing the industry. Rather, directing undue attention to these functions is. What I mean is this. IF Sony decide that they want to make the PS3 a multimedia center that just happens to play games, same with Microsoft and the 360, we will see a large amount of people not really caring about the games. I noticed this when I worked for Playstation technical support in the UK, many people said that they bought the ps2 because it was a dvd player, and they often didnt care much for games. Sony has a way of marketing its machines to casual gamers in a very different way to Nintendo. For example, Nintendo still focuses on innovation of gameplay to attract casuals. Sony on the other hand will converge the console with some other multimedia gadget and sell it that way. However you do have a point, the industry is also comiting suicide, by not being innovative enough, it doesnt need another multimedia center, households are already filled with those, it needs inovation.

Isn't that bad for Sony? I mean, gamers will buy it for games or maybe not at all due to price. However, since Sony makes a loss on each console, if people buy it as just a Blu-Ray player they may not get their money back through game slaes. Though, if it helped them win the format war I guess it would be worth it. I wonder if there will be any major recalls or manufacturing flaws that could add to the loss.

Tomek

ParamountCell
06-09-2006, 02:45 AM
I wonder if there will be any major recalls or manufacturing flaws that could add to the loss.

Tomek

I can tell you, there will be manufacturing faults. Or else, may my poo come to life and kiss me on the face.:shrug:

SheepFactory
06-09-2006, 02:53 AM
I am really curious if the ps3 comes with a HDMI cable. I didnt know those suckers are priced from $100 to $400 up until I asked for one at best buy yesterday. Its one of those hidden fees you dont think about until its time to get one.

EpShot
06-09-2006, 03:53 AM
i think the $600 one does come with the cable, but i'm not sure.

jbo
06-09-2006, 05:44 AM
I am really curious if the ps3 comes with a HDMI cable. I didnt know those suckers are priced from $100 to $400 up until I asked for one at best buy yesterday. Its one of those hidden fees you dont think about until its time to get one.

yeah, i went to best buy to get one too, and if you ask where the hdmi cables are they steer you toward the magnolia home theater section where everything costs about 3 times what it should. they have cheaper cables in the main part of the store, they're just hidden away.

enygma
06-09-2006, 05:51 AM
I was really happy when I ordered the HD PVR satellite receiver from ExpressVu. I had ended up winning one of those HDTVs from Microsoft at GDC last year only to have found out it has an HDMI input. I had no idea what it was, so I figured it was a standard connector.

I bought a standard HD receiver for it and it had firewire, but only came with component cables. For the sake of checking, I went to Future Shop to see about DVI to HDMI. $200. So I said forget about it.

So when I decided to get the HD PVR, I was lucky to have found that not only did it come with an HDMI cable, it even came with the HDMI to DVI adapter... :D

tozz
06-09-2006, 10:43 AM
Well I think the PS2 is a very good example, alot of people bought it because it was a cheap dvd-player that played games, the same goes for PS3, it's a cheap blu-ray player that plays games. You can't really blame Sony for trying the same concept that got them the best selling console of all times last time, can you? I'm not saying it's gonna work out one way or another, but there's some logic in there. As for "I just want to play games" (again), there's a two year waiting time before any console has even a remotely good library and then the PS3 will have dropped $100-200 ;)

As for innovation, I don't think it's main problem, it's the money. Everyone wants to make games today, but I'd say it's like 5% who actually manage to make a good one. All those people want big salaries but the products doesn't pay them. So in the end we get EA, worst thing that ever happened to gaming. I remember the E3 speech.. "More new IPs..". Well, who cares about your IPs when they are shit, and they're the main reason gaming goes backwards instead of forwards, everyone is walking in the same track.

Kaostick
06-09-2006, 02:50 PM
it will add absolutely NOTHING to gameplay, yet it's one of sony's justifications for their high price.

I didn't realize increasing the maximum [potential] size of a game more than 10 fold was considered "NOTHING."

RobertoOrtiz
06-09-2006, 02:52 PM
UPDATE!
In remarks made to Japanese website Impress Watch, and translated by consumer website Beyond3D, President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Ken Kutaragi has commented in more detail on the concept that the PlayStation 3 is a computer, rather than a game console.
Kutaragi pointedly commented of the next-gen console, which is due to launch this November at dual price points of $499 and $599 in North America: "We don't say it's a game console (*laugh*) - PlayStation 3 is clearly a computer, unlike the PlayStations [released] so far."

He went on to outline a scenario where many parts of the PS3 were upgradable, much more like a PC, noting: "Since PS3 is a computer, there are no "models" but "configurations"", and continuing (though talking in the theoretical): "I think it's okay to release a [extended PS3] configuration every year". It's clear from the comments that Sony is indicating that it will be possible to upgrade hard drives and perhaps even other components easily.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/ne....php?story=9642 (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=9642)

cosmonaut
06-09-2006, 03:02 PM
UPDATE!

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/ne....php?story=9642 (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=9642)

Ha! It just keeps getting better.

JeroenDStout
06-09-2006, 03:06 PM
So... it's... like a computer for dummies.

CupOWonton
06-09-2006, 03:07 PM
PC gaming isnt going to die, end of story, however, since people are on the topic of PlayStation.

How Sony Could Have Won:

Release the BlueRay drives a year or two before PS3 is even released.

Honestly, they already FIGURED OUT a lot of this technology a long time ago, using essentialy thinner blue lazers to read more information off a disc, yada yada. They could have paid a few more scientific people to get the blue ray itself ready and already out on shelves. At least then they could have made the decision of "... do we realy want to put this in our console?" based on actual field testing of the storage medium.

It aint lookin great for sony, that's true. Still. Consider the cost of the console is still probably the exact cost the 360 will have when you add on all the extras you need to bring it up to standard. Even without that, its still only the cost of a few games.
Personaly, I think they should have either gone with HD, or waited to get the liscencing rights to use HD-DVD's inside their blue ray player.

enygma
06-09-2006, 04:00 PM
Ok lets see...

PS2: Watch DVDs, Play thousands of games, run Linux, upgrade hard drive, network capable
PS3: Watch DVDs, Play thousands of games, ?run Linux?, upgrade hard drive, network capable

Difference? Maybe the PS3 has a bit of a media centre with it and web access. Then again, I was IRCing on my PS2 rather easily.

Bite me Kutaragi. If your PS2 is a game console, so is your PS3.

Anyways want to buy an official Sony PS2 Linux kit off me... ;)

jbo
06-09-2006, 04:20 PM
I didn't realize increasing the maximum size of a game more than 10 fold was considered "NOTHING."

are you kidding? it won't increase the maximum size of the game ten fold. do you realize how large a 3d game would have to be to fill a dvd with models and textures? not to mention how much it would cost to develop so much content. with very few exeptions, the only games that won't fit on a dvd are like that for one reason: cut scenes. bluray will give you more cutscenes. YAY!! just what i always wanted.

JeroenDStout
06-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Cutscenes can be nice, games aren't all play, there's plenty of story to be told that doesn't have to be told in some "we have to make it interactive" way.

Anyway, thanks to the miracle of real pc's we already have games larger than one DVD :P though I only own one, Myst IV. For which I am ashamed. Some nice images in that game, though.

tozz
06-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Well some people prefer disc swaping and low res content and no CG. Also some people doesn't realise this is supposed to last for more than 1year. DVD as a storage medium for high resolution content in 2010 (games or otherwise)? Don't make me laugh.

PhantomDesign
06-09-2006, 05:37 PM
If anyone tries to talk to me on AOL IM using a analog controller I'm going to shoot them. People aleady type too slow as is.

Also, have you ever tried reading anything on a television (even in high-definition) where the font is normal-sized? Even on a high-definition television, the fonts have to be atleast 48 pt on high-def.

havokzprodigy
06-09-2006, 05:49 PM
If anyone tries to talk to me on AOL IM using a analog controller I'm going to shoot them. People aleady type too slow as is.

Also, have you ever tried reading anything on a television (even in high-definition) where the font is normal-sized? Even on a high-definition television, the fonts have to be atleast 48 pt on high-def.

OMG I know that would be torture.

When I first hooked up my 360 to a high def that I bought at the same time as the 360 I thought my tv was messed up(or low quality) becuase of the jagged font.

Kaostick
06-09-2006, 07:08 PM
are you kidding? it won't increase the maximum size of the game ten fold. do you realize how large a 3d game would have to be to fill a dvd with models and textures? not to mention how much it would cost to develop so much content. with very few exeptions, the only games that won't fit on a dvd are like that for one reason: cut scenes. bluray will give you more cutscenes. YAY!! just what i always wanted.

I guess I wasn't clear enough for you.. What I ment was maximum potential size.. Of course, you seem to think that 4 gigs will be enough for games at the end of the PS3s life several years down the road.. I, however, disagree. Of course, I already have several PC games that take up almost 4 gigs on my hard drive already.. I guess I'm the only one?

jbo
06-09-2006, 07:23 PM
Well some people prefer disc swaping and low res content and no CG. Also some people doesn't realise this is supposed to last for more than 1year. DVD as a storage medium for high resolution content in 2010 (games or otherwise)? Don't make me laugh.

budget constraints are a MUCH bigger detracter from the ammount of content in a game than dvd capacity is. as far as swapping discs go, yes, i'd much rather change a disc halfway through a 60 hour game than pay for an expensive new drive. i guarantee you that the vast majority of games will not come close to filling the bluray disc and those that do will do so because of cut scenes. yes, cutscenes are nice, but not nice enough to justify the price, and i'd much rather the money was spent on actual gameplay instead, cause that's nicer.

Kaostick
06-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Now imagine if you had to pop in a different disk each time you went to a different island in GTA5.. Fun fun..

EDIT: I agree, most games won't fill a Blu-Ray disk.. But I bet most games will eventually (key word here: eventually) require more storage then a DVD can offer.

ParamountCell
06-09-2006, 11:11 PM
Now imagine if you had to pop in a different disk each time you went to a different island in GTA5.. Fun fun..

EDIT: I agree, most games won't fill a Blu-Ray disk.. But I bet most games will eventually (key word here: eventually) require more storage then a DVD can offer.

'eventualy' may well be half of the ps3 lifespan ( which is 10 years from now, if we are to believe kuturagi. ) in five years the other consoles will already be phased out to introduce there new ones.

JeroenDStout
06-09-2006, 11:17 PM
By then, you can buy HoloDisks readers for PCs...

Tyson Benson
06-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Honestly ive never seen such a bunch of bloody whiners! Theres only one thing to it. Ignore some of the stupid or irrational things some head hancho is preaching, realise that your not going to get a computer that will match the PS3 in price:gaming capability, and entertainment technology is always going to get better, more expensive, and then cheaper. So just be patient or pony up the dough!

Jeez

beenyweenies
06-20-2006, 05:05 PM
My two cents for what it's worth:

1. I've never seen a console game look as good as PC games. Ever. Even the highly touted games disappoint when I get them home, I always wonder "had this guy who said the GFX are amazing never played a PC game before?" Sure these new consoles are better, but so are the current crop of PC technologies.

2. Even on a plasma HiDef television, you are viewing the console game at 1024x768, and on a screen much larger than a computer monitor (30 inch+ compared to 19" for computer monitor). In TV-based gaming you are spreading fewer pixels over a much larger viewing surface meaning that, for now, a game on a TV cannot look as good as a computer monitor.

3. For the money, even my home Dell can run Photoshop, After Effects and Maya. Not to mention internet, movies, games etc. <snark>When is Adobe releasing the Creative Suite PS3 Edition, again?< /snark> This alone destroys the comment that somehow the PS3 will kill the PC.

4. Not everyone plays video games, even fewer care enough to pay $600 JUST to play games. I would never pay that much for a console when the same $$ will get me a real computer that does a wide variety of useful and productive tasks.

enygma
06-20-2006, 05:30 PM
2. Even on a plasma HiDef television, you are viewing the console game at 1024x768, and on a screen much larger than a computer monitor (30 inch+ compared to 19" for computer monitor). In TV-based gaming you are spreading fewer pixels over a much larger viewing surface meaning that, for now, a game on a TV cannot look as good as a computer monitor.
1920x1080 if you are running 1080p. Most sets don't support 1080p, but most do support 1080i, which I found has very little difference in quality compared to 720p.

1280x720 if you are using 720p.

Some would also argue that the gaming experience is better on a larger screen regardless of resolution (480i/p -> 1080i/p), but that is more of personal preference. Size vs resolution. Which is better? If you could play a game at 1080i on a 50" plasma, would you prefer that over a 19" LCD at 1280x1024 or a 19" CRT at 1600x1200? Maybe, maybe not. I most certainly prefer my gaming in front of a TV. I still remember having a blast with my buddies playing Goldeneye on a 32" TV 4 with players.

Now about pixel spread over larger area, one could also argue that the pixel spread is nominal when playing a game 6 to 10 feet from your TV set on your couch. I would assume the further back you are, while the resolution remains, it is almost like playing on a smaller and smaller computer monitor. Maybe something like playing a game in 1920x1080 on a 42" display at 10 feet playing distance is like playing a game at that resolution on a 23" monitor at 2 feet.

For the most part though, I agree with you on points 1 and 3.

Dagibit
06-20-2006, 05:37 PM
I don't know about all these negative comments- I like the idea of turning a ps3 into my PC. It's not like it isn't happening with people's xboxes.

gurubvin
06-21-2006, 04:40 PM
Not sure too much about where the ps3 will go. All we can do right now is assume I guess. It does have the POTENTIAL I think to change the PC market.

One of the big advantages PC gaming has had over console games is modablity... is that a word? With an OS and hard drive the ps3 may have the possibility to mod games.

As a result, maybe software developers will develop for operating systems outside of Windows. Hopefully more standardization of Linux. Assuming the ps3 does well, that would mean that a standard version of Linux will make its way to enough household to be somewhat mainstream. That would definitely give developers more reason to develop for Linux.

... more stuff... but maybe later. What do you guys think? I've recently upgraded my mobo, and realised that I couldn't transfer my winxp as it is licensed under the oem eula (basically it locks on to the old mobo, not just physically, but also legally). I'm hoping the ps3 will add to Linux becoming more of a household os.

TumikSmacker
06-21-2006, 05:53 PM
Yes, he would predict that, wouldn't he?

It's funny, though; "The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC.":

So a playstation computer which fulfills all the tasks of a regular computer.. that's like...a PC. PC is dead, hail the PC!

So I guess they're creating PS3 games using PS3s instead of PCs...lol

Elekko
06-22-2006, 03:25 AM
They needed a computer to develop PS3, they cannot success the PC, it is really nonsense!
I can't wait for Autodesk realeasing Maya for PS3!

CGTalk Moderation
06-22-2006, 03:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.