PDA

View Full Version : Render Layers vs Render Settings

Slyngel
06-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Hi,

I have a strange problem that I hope someon can help me with. When setting up my scene to render I have noticed the path my render settings output is changed by my render layers. When I then render my scene. The renders are put in folders named as the renderLayes which I know is correct... but what I dont know is why it is creating them before the file name prefix. I want the renderLayers to be created after a folder is created by the file name prefix so I can can control the layers towards the scenes I want. Example:

dont want: W:\JOBS\Yazoo\3D\Renders\cube(this is the renderlayerFolder)\sc_001

I want: W:\JOBS\Yazoo\3D\Renders\sc_001\cube

How can I make the file name prefix override the renderLayers

We have recently installed our Renderpal and sat up an renderfarm. Can it have anything to do with that?

Thanks for your time if anyone can help me.

cheers

Sorte Slyngel

nessus
06-06-2006, 02:01 AM
each render layer renders images and stores them in a folder which named after the name of that render layer. so for example, if you have a render layer called "Test123", then all the images will be stored in a folder called "Test123". usually its under \images\Test123 if you have your project path set properly(u can do it in file->project->set... to the path of your project dir).

for the actual image names, you can do a simple override in each layer. simply click the third icon on your render layer(the icon looks like a clip board, same as your render setting icon). then in the common tab, right click on "File Name Prefix" and choose "create layer override", change the prefix name as you wish.

i hope this is what you are asking for.

avinashlobo
06-06-2006, 07:17 AM
Thing is, the File Name Prefix defaults to the scene name only if you don't specify any name yourself. The purpose of that box is to give your generated images a meaningful name, not to identify the scene from which it was rendered, which would then logically make sense if it were to be placed below the render layer in the naming hierarchy.

If you want to specify the scene name, you should go to File -> Project -> Edit Current and in the Images location, enter images/myscene (or whatever your scene name is), and then give your rendered images a meaningful name in the File Name Prefix box.

The path would then play out like this -

project/images/sceneName/renderLayerName/imageName

You would, of course, need to manually change this for every scene that you render out.

Slyngel
06-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Hi avinashlobo and nessus,

Thansk for your replies. I have tried both of your solutions but neither have worked for me. However in the manual I found that you can control the the way your files output by typing in some code: F example: x/x/%/l%_2n%.e. Let me break this down

Replace the first x with your scene folder.
Replace the second x with the ersion of the render.
After the lowercase l the renderlayer wil create a folder.
The last bit will serach in your rendersetting the fileoutput you have and render the scene out as that.

This is the only way it has worked for me. All other solution have not been able to set the renderlayer within a subdirectory under Render. Maya forces is to appear first.

I hope this can help someone. I found this solution in the book: Whats new in Maya 7

cheers

CGTalk Moderation
06-07-2006, 10:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.