PDA

View Full Version : PARTICLES in XSI _?

Nakary
06-05-2006, 03:48 PM
Hello there.
I dont like this kind of questions, but I have already lost lots of time researching and studying the particles system in XSI.

So the question is, you guys that have experience with this, really use XSI for particles simulation_? it seems to me like many other applications can do a better job rendering them, or maybe is just my lack of experience.

Do you have any suggestion on how to approach this_? I am about to get into a project where I am going to have to simulate lots of effects, mixed with characters and stuff, where XSI is great. Does any one hace a workflow to share_?

Thank you.

TheLostVertex
06-05-2006, 04:51 PM
I will start off by saying, that depending on the situation, XSI's particle system can get the job done with some work. However, there are many other applications more suitable to doing effects, particles and fluids are not XSI's strong suit. If you could give us more insight into what effects you would be setting out to accomplish that may help in steering you in the right direction. I think most of us XSI'ers wouldnt mind a new particle system :scream:

If your work will be very effects heavy, it may become a better option to use Houdini, maya, or perhaps a thirdparty solution, depending on the needs.

-Steven

Sbowling
06-07-2006, 03:24 AM
I would highly recommend the 3dtutorials particles video. It really helped me out a lot. Also, if you need volume effects, the binary alchemy plugins are well worth the money.

Nakary
06-07-2006, 10:51 PM
Thank you very much for your replies guys.

Steven > Basicaly this is what it is.. I need to prepare some scenes animated on SPACE, its going to have lost of explisions lasers, gases, wormwholes and stuff, this is going to be happenig during the whole thing, I have the characters ready in XSI, but I am disapointed with the particles handlig of softimage. I have been seeing some volume renders in Lightwave and they look much closer to what I need, but I dunno how easy it would be to mix both applications. I would give MAYA a try on this, but I would love to see some examples of what it is capable to do when it comes to particles, if you or any has a link on this, please post it.
Thank you so much for your time.

Sbowling > Thanks for the info, I just cheked the binary alchemy that you recommended, it looks nice, I still don;t know how suitable it would be for the project I am going to be involved with. I have seen some video tutorials, but I think the problem here is the lack of volumic shader for particles..
Thank you .. :)

Have a nice day.

Richard.

mocaw
06-07-2006, 11:12 PM
The voxels in LW are great for smoke, clouds etc. but they come with a fairly heavy rendertime price tag. XSI's particles are harder to use for certain things, but they do render fairly quickly IMHO.

CGTalk Moderation
06-07-2006, 11:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.