PDA

View Full Version : Terpentine. What do I do whit it?

LadyMedusa
06-05-2006, 09:11 AM
I managed to get a hold of a bottle of terpentine, and I noticed it says that it's damegable for the eviroment, so I assume I can't pour it into the sink or the toilet, being one of those who care about the enviroment. Those at the art classes seem to pour it into theyr sinks, theyhad bigger sinks in theyr classrooms too, so it might be spechal made or something, or maybe something that lookes like a sink, but is just... cleaning up the terpentine, or something <.<"

So how/where do I get rid of the used terpentine?

Edit: oh yeah, I'm probably spelling it wrong aswell O.<, allthough searching did give me 5 closed topics, none containing the answer of course

Lunatique
06-05-2006, 06:12 PM
This is going to sound funny, but I just recycle it. I let the dirty can settle for a few days, pour out the turpentine to another jar, then clean out the icky paint that's settled at the bottom of the can. I always have two cans when I paint--one for initial cleaning, which tends to be a very dirty can, and the other with a much cleaner can, for second time cleaning. Then I have a third one put away so the paint will percipitate to the bottom (as mentioned earlier). The recycled turp gets yellow in color, but is fine for brush cleaning during painting, or applying some wash on the canvas.

Back in school, people just poured them down the drain, which is probably not environmentally safe. To be more responsible, contact your cityhall, because most cities should have a place where you can go and dump hazardous material.

LadyMedusa
06-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Resirculating it acctually sounds like a great idea, Its cheap and it works :)
I'll also try contact those people at the City Hall

Thanks Rob :)

CGTalk Moderation
06-05-2006, 07:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.