Kirt
01-14-2003, 11:44 AM
GO GO GO GO GO

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Any concepts yet?

wildsheepchase
01-14-2003, 02:36 PM
lol@Kirt!
I'll try to get a concept up in the next few days. I just took a new job and it's sucking up all my time:argh:

Tommy Lee
01-14-2003, 03:43 PM
COMON!!!!!!!!(just to say something):D

Carlocki
01-14-2003, 09:17 PM
I want to find space here to say how I liked your living toon entry

wildsheepchase
01-15-2003, 05:53 AM
Hey guys! Thanks for the replies!
Here's my concept...sorry it's so sloppy:blush:
http://members.cox.net/sheepchase/fishermansketch.jpg
I'm thinking he's from a race of people living along the coast, who are mostly fishermen. They keep to themselves so not much is known about them.
I'm really too tired to think up anymore of a story line right now..sorry:insane:
crits?
Carlocki: Thanks for the compliment:love:

wildsheepchase
01-15-2003, 07:03 AM
And a really quick underpainting...
http://members.cox.net/sheepchase/fishermanwip1.jpg

Gamoron
01-15-2003, 01:46 PM
Hey, I like it. Nice little details in the clothing. Good mood colours in the underpainting. But I hope you warm it up later.
:beer:

Pancreas
01-15-2003, 03:48 PM
Nice guy, me like those interdigits membranes (hitting english), and the blue tones are very "seashore reminding"

Carlocki
01-15-2003, 04:27 PM
yes good colour palette

Tommy Lee
01-15-2003, 05:29 PM
Great Character man..I like it alot.
I dig ya style:thumbsup:

Cheerz:beer:

wildsheepchase
01-16-2003, 06:10 AM
Here's an update:
http://members.cox.net/sheepchase/fishermanwip2.jpg
Thanks for the c&c:cool:
Gamoron: The palette is going to remain relatively cool, but I'll be adding some orange tones when I get further into rendering to add some depth.

Pancreas&Carlocki: Glad you like the palette and it reminds you of the seashore...that's what I was going for. It should be even easier to get that feel now that I've added the sea:D

Tommy Lee: Thanks dude!:beer:

Tommy Lee
01-16-2003, 09:06 AM
Rachel, ya style is so unique,.. so moody. Your use of colors is superb.
Ya have to post ya work in some online-artshop and ya pieces are sold allready!!!!!:thumbsup:
You do absolute sellable(does this word exist???lol) images. I like to have them on my wall. Keep on ya good work...

BTW: This piece reminds me on Friedenreich Hundertwasser...let him rest in piece!

Cheerz dudette

Tommy Lee

wildsheepchase
01-16-2003, 02:38 PM
Tommy Lee: :love: :blush: :blush: Thanks for the kind words, dude! I'd like to illustrate professionally some day, so maybe I'm getting closer to that goal.( I hope) Thanks again:beer:

wildsheepchase
01-17-2003, 03:55 AM
Here's another update. I'm beginning to smooth out the lines from my sketch with the smudge tool. I will be going back over to add in sharper details later on in the rendering. It looks a little fuzzy right now though.:p
http://members.cox.net/sheepchase/fishermanwip3.jpg
And a detail of the face:
http://members.cox.net/sheepchase/fishermandetail.jpg
I will also be adding more highlights to define the light source a bit more.
Any crits?
Suggestions?

Tommy Lee
01-17-2003, 12:10 PM
May ya give some warm yellow(max 10-15% oppacity and 20% Flow) to the Higlights in multiple-mode with the airbrush to give a warmer look then spot in some white in normalmode with ca. 50% oppacity and 20% Flow. Make sure ya turned airbrush off!!!And also some high amplitude Highlits to the eyes: Normalmode up to 80% opacity and 20% Flow. Thats it... Now it should look something like this:

Lunatique
01-17-2003, 02:01 PM
Like your color choices. I might get a bit more orange/reds in there where the yellows are right now, so the piece is not entirely cold.

Gamoron
01-17-2003, 03:07 PM
Yeah I'd agree with the other 2. A bit of warm highlights in there, the mood of the scene is great but this guy is obviously a happy sort, and I think you should bring his joy out some how. I love it.

P.S. Do they walk hunched like that, or is he doing it for the image?

wildsheepchase
01-17-2003, 05:55 PM
Thanks guys! I had actually started to do exactly what you're suggesting...I just hadn't made enough progress to update:D
I'll be painting more today...so an update is coming a little later. I'll work those warm tones in:thumbsup:
Thanx for the paintover, Tommy:beer:

Slacker
01-18-2003, 02:18 AM
I agree with the rest, you really did a good job creating a sea atmosphere. looking forward to the next update. :thumbsup:

Tommy Lee
01-18-2003, 02:44 AM
Ya welcome Rachel!!!:beer:

wildsheepchase
01-18-2003, 07:09 AM
Here's an update:
http://members.cox.net/sheepchase/fishermanwip4.jpg
I will probably go back over and brighten some of those highlights again. They might not be warm enough yet...and I really liked Tommy Lee's paintover:D
Gamoron: I think I like the idea of the whole race being kind of hunched over. I picture this race being kind of apprehensive of outsiders and the stance of this guy kind of evokes that, I hope. Also, I think it helps make him a bit different from humans or elves...even though he has similiar proportions. I want him to look friendly, but also a little shifty if you know what I mean.:D
Slacker: Thanks!:)

Tommy Lee
01-18-2003, 03:24 PM
Great..just warm it up a bit more.. to get more contrast.
Keep going dudette:thumbsup:

wildsheepchase
01-19-2003, 12:11 AM
Another update:
http://members.cox.net/sheepchase/fishermanwip5.jpg
I'm beginning to work all the details back in and I'm just beginning to go over and add more layers of yellow/white into the highlight areas.

By the way, where is Sleepless these days? I'd really like to see what he would come up with for this challenge.

Thanx again, Tommy....you've been a huge help:cool:

Bruzundanga
01-19-2003, 12:57 AM
gosh!!!!

beatiful!! :beer:

nice colours!

maybe a blue one coming from the back....
i don't know

love everything

keep posting

c-ya

Tommy Lee
01-19-2003, 02:29 AM
You do a great job Rachel. IŽve nothing to crit now.
Absolutly superb image:applause: :applause:

wildsheepchase
01-19-2003, 02:35 AM
Thank you, guys!!:beer:

Gamoron
01-19-2003, 05:23 PM
Well, I hope you improve it a little more. Though I can't see what you'll do to make it better, I'm loving it as is. Your work was awesome in the past too, but I think I can see that this shows that you've moved forward with your style. Gotten stronger with it.

wildsheepchase
01-19-2003, 05:31 PM
Thanx Gamoron:cool:
It's not done, yet. I still have a lot of little details in mind and I intend to go back and tweak the background some more. I feel like I learned a lot on this challenge, so far.
Thanx for the reply:beer:

wildsheepchase
01-19-2003, 09:03 PM
Another update:
http://members.cox.net/sheepchase/fishermanwip6.jpg

Culann
01-19-2003, 09:23 PM
Very nice, Wildsheepchase, I like the slightly stylised... err...style. ;)
I also rather like the costume design of your character, it fits very well.
Keep up the good work. :)

Jake
01-27-2003, 12:04 AM
Great image! The colors and composition really come together nicely.

I just have a few comments:

1. is the character wet or dry? If he just came out of the water, maybe you could push the specular highlights a bit more to make him look more drippy. Also, water dripping off of him could disturb/discolor the sand where he's walked.

2. I think the footprints need to be darker, they read as shadows.

3. I think you could vary the shading a bit more so that the parts of his body that are closer to the light source are brighter. Right now I think the arms and legs are too close in terms of brightness, which flattens the form a bit.

Just minor nitpicks. Excellent work!

wildsheepchase
01-27-2003, 01:23 AM
Culann: Thanks!:beer:

Jake: Thanks for the crit! I was kind of thinking the same thing about the footprints and sand. I hadn't really thought to much about whether he was wet or dry, though it would make more sense if he was wet...I'll see what I can do about that. I'll also see if I can push the contrast even a bit more on the legs and arms. Thanks again:D

I'll be posting an update later this evening! Thanks y'all:beer:

wildsheepchase
01-27-2003, 05:29 AM
Ugh! I had to quit working on this tonight because of a hand cramp. I think I'm getting pretty close to being finished, unless someone has any major suggestions.
http://members.cox.net/sheepchase/fishermanwip8.jpg
I'm still not completely satisfied with his fishing rod and a few other minor things...so, there probably is still another update or two.
Crits anyone?:wip:

Gamoron
01-27-2003, 06:08 AM
Well WSC, I think it looks great. You've got all these little details in his clothing that add to an image that I always forget. I have one small crit that might improve this.

check this image:
http://ebiomedia.com/gall/eyes/images/Jodi's-eye.jpg

See how where the light hits, the eye is darkened with a hotspot, and the light reflects through to the other side? Thats what I think you should do to his eye in the light to give it more life. More umphf! that isn't the greatest image, but it gives you an idea that you can go and observe for yourself.

Cheers!:beer: :buttrock:

wildsheepchase
01-27-2003, 06:11 AM
Thanks Gamoron...I'll see what I can do about that:D

Tommy Lee
01-27-2003, 09:56 AM
Wow...amazing. The details are pushing the image to the top. Just do the little thingy Gamoron told ya. Thats the last izzibizzy detail missing.
Great Job :applause: :applause: :applause: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tom

wildsheepchase
01-27-2003, 10:23 PM
Another update:
http://members.cox.net/sheepchase/fishermanwip9.jpg
I tried to fix the eye, but I'm not sure I understood the crit exactly. I added a little bit of a warm patch at the outer left rim...is that what you had in mind, Gamoron?
I also added some detail to the hair, fishing rod, and some other stuff.
Thanks for all the help everyone!:beer:

Royal
01-28-2003, 12:21 AM
I like it :thumbsup:
I dunno if it's the jpeg but The pic intends to be a bit blurrish coloring wise in some parts but that's prolly just a matter of taste.
:)

SEL
01-28-2003, 12:57 AM
good to see you have your own unique style. I was just looking over your thread, and saw your last picture. I know all artists are different based on how they see their own art, so dont listen to me if you dont want to. I think though that the whole piece seems a little flat, not towards art, but in color, meaning not enough lights and darks are affecting the image. I run into this a lot for lighting is difficult to capture in art. My only suggestions are to do the basic hue and saturation in photoshop to change the color scheme a little and so the clothe stands out a little more, then mess with the brightness and contrast a little. And maybe do a spotlight coming from the sun to the right to give the clouds on the upper left a feeling of shadowing the character, meaning more darker in the left, lighter on the right. Your piece is fantastic, thats why I thought I could maybe help out and see if anything I said can make it even better. Great job all around..

theSEL

wildsheepchase
01-28-2003, 05:00 AM
I tried boosting the saturation and contrast...
http://members.cox.net/sheepchase/fishermanwip10.jpg
I'll let you guys tell me if this is an improvement. I've stared at it so long that I don't know anymore:surprised :insane:
Thanks for the comments thesel and royal:thumbsup:

Tommy Lee
01-28-2003, 05:50 AM
Just Perfect!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

May ya send me a high res Jpeg at my email adress:

tommy.lee@chello.at

That would be nice, want it as Wallpaper:beer:

Cheerz

Tom

SEL
01-28-2003, 08:20 AM
Looks so much better and the character stands out so much more, I got DSL, so was able to go forwards and back really fast to see the difference. You nailed it right on! Great piece! Now you have about 30 more days to make the dust particles in the air, and strans of hair, one by one.. HAHA.. I dont know how much more detailed you want to get, but either or, if you stop now, youve got a great composition.

theSEL

P.S. Oh, forgot to tell you, another idea that you could add to the piece could be minor scales on his body and face, showing hes a sea creature.. a thought!

wildsheepchase
01-29-2003, 02:29 AM
Thanks a ton, guys!
Tommy: The pic is in the mail:D
Thesel: Thanks for the help. Like you said, I have another whole month to nitpick at the details, so there may be some more updates on the way.:wip:

Tommy Lee
01-29-2003, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the pic!:beer:

About the details: Less is More!!!!!

Cheerz

Tommy Lee

Virtuoso
01-31-2003, 09:33 AM
What's in the water over there in Arizona????? Because whatever it is I want some over here in Malibu........Really a wonderful image,I think it's spot on beautiful,great depth and colors,the feel is surreal but warm. I want this creation in a full length movie now! Really great work wildsheepchase.................. :thumbsup: :airguitar :beer:

wildsheepchase
02-10-2003, 07:52 AM
Here's another update:
http://members.cox.net/sheepchase/fishermancomboweb.jpg
I wasn't completely happy with the last version I loaded. I think it lost some detail and I thought the background looked a bit too pumped up after I changed the saturation. This update was my attempt to try and use the original background, but with the character more saturated. There was also some minor tweaking throughout the whole painting. I think I'm pretty much done with this, unless anyone has any crits to add.:arteest:
Virtuoso: Thanks!

Tommy Lee
02-10-2003, 07:55 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

wildsheepchase
02-10-2003, 07:57 AM
Thanx Tommy:D

Frinsklen
02-10-2003, 12:28 PM
wow, very nice!

I like the mood you've achieved, much much better the new one with boosted saturation and constrast.
His left hand looks kinda weird, not sure if it's the proportions or the pose. Maybe you could add some more contrast on that area, looks like it confuses with the background more than the rest of the body.

:thumbsup: keep drawing!

Virtuoso
02-10-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Lee
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DITTO............Ambiant,surreal,In-depth,stylistic to the max,fantastic.I cannot post 5 thumbs up anymore because I have Tommy Lee's up already.;) But If I could I would.:)

A true contender for this Challenge,among quite a few great entries.5 stars all the way.:beer:

dmcgrath
02-13-2003, 03:30 AM
I love the paint and the mood here a lot, sheep. It took some time to find some constructive crits, here.

But I'll offer some suggestions for you though. The shoulders are at very different levels, but the elbows aren't. And I think you would see more of the chest if the body is twisted like that.
Last thing, and now I'm really trying to find things wrong here. The hand holding the fishing pole, doesn't really look like it's holding it. Can you see that the top of the hand, and the pole are going in two different directions?

Tommy Lee
03-01-2003, 07:12 PM
YouŽll be the runnerup close behind Gamoron:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cheerz dudette

Tom

jeroentje
03-04-2003, 02:16 PM
He wildsheep, you're doing excellent in the voting :)
Good to see you in the top of the votings.
And this is one of the best things I've seen from you indeed. So, very well deserved IMO :beer:

Gamoron
03-04-2003, 04:30 PM
Hey Wild. Looking good so far. Can you post a link here to the version in cgchallenge? I tried to save your pic as... but it wouldn't let me have a copy. Awesome work, loving the details.:beer: :applause:

wildsheepchase
03-04-2003, 05:39 PM
omg:eek: I didn't expect it to do this well. Thanx to all of you for helping me make this image decent.:D

Gamoron: The version loaded on cgchallenge is the same as the last one in this thread...which I think you should be able to save. Let me know if you can't and I'll send you a version or try to fix it.

Jeroentje: Thanks!:cheers:

Tommy Lee: I don't know about your prediction...there's still a long ways to go and there is a ton of awesome entries this month. But thanks for the vote of confidence:thumbsup: :D

dmcgrath: Thanks for the crits. I kind of ran out of time to work on this and it felt finished, if you know what I mean. I'll keep those crits in mind for my next piece though:D

Awesome challenge! I can't wait for the next !one:buttrock: :xtreme: :drumrock:

SEL
03-04-2003, 06:25 PM
:) , I bumped you into first :), great piece overal, from start to finish! Great job, Hopefully next challenge Ill have more time.. Gotta get to school!

SEL

Gamoron
03-04-2003, 09:35 PM
I got it. Thanks Wild.:thumbsup:

Lunatique
03-05-2003, 05:24 AM
I voted for you. :)

Gamoron
03-06-2003, 02:59 PM
Hell, you're still slaughtering, but all that you need is the other 5 missing votes and you'd be well beyond. Nice job.

wildsheepchase
03-06-2003, 03:15 PM
lol..thanks for all the votes:beer:
Nice picture raft...kind of remind me of fat albert.:D

Gamoron
03-06-2003, 07:21 PM
Well if everyone voted like they are supposed to, you'd be way in the lead. Cover page though!

raft
03-06-2003, 11:38 PM
This is lame. Every single post I make on this site, gets deleted. I've made what 5 posts on this site, and 4 of them have been deleted. I used to have respect for this site.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.