PDA

View Full Version : Ok I just laid down 2k on a system! Someone tell me it was a goo choice!

E17JO1
06-05-2006, 05:15 AM
Haha ok I'm not used to spending a lot of money on a system (more like 600 bucks) but seeing how i'm starting to get into 3d Apps, I knew I had to upgrade.

Keep in mind that i'm an extreme beginner to 3d apps so although I would have liked a BOXX or something spectacular, I finally was being practical and decided to get a "decent" system!

These are now my specs!

-Asus A8N-E NForce4 Ultra Mobo (I Really didn't need all that SLI stuff as I don't want 2 vid cards and I don't play games)
-AMD Athlon X2 4400+ with stock Heat Sink & Fan (I don't OC)
-2 GIGS (2x 1GIG) of Kingston DDR 400 PC3200
-XFX 256MB GeForce 7900GT
-Lian-Li PCV1000 Plus With Stock 3x120mm fans
-Sony DVDR 16x Dual Layer
-Western Digital 74 GIG Raptor
-Thermaltake 550W Power Supply
-Windows XP Professional OEM
-1 Year Parts and Labor Warranty

Everything was 1977.71 after tax.

I know I could have gotten things cheaper online but knowing my luck, I will end up getting half my parts DOD and I dont like the hassle of shipping it back and paying a 15% restocking fee!

So did I do ok?

SweetDreamz
06-05-2006, 05:22 AM
Ask before getting it would have helped. :P

Everything looks great, any more harddrives? Or just the Raptor? Consider getting another one for storage and use the raptor for apps/games...etc.

E17JO1
06-05-2006, 05:42 AM
Oh yeah! Trust me, I've asked and asked and did a lot of research and that's what I came up with haha!

Yeah, just the Raptor for right now! If I do decide to get another hard drive later, maybe it will be an external or something! I've been using my computer that I have right now and it has a lot of songs, games, maya + max (poorly runned), and some other crap and I have a stock 80gig using only about 24gigs all together.

Ed Caracappa
06-05-2006, 12:13 PM
you should be very happy with that system.

Ed

alejandro_m1
06-05-2006, 03:51 PM
I wouldnīt recommend to use an external HDD for all your files, I have used many (LACIE, Western Digital, Maxtor, even one builded by myself) and they tend to get a bit buggy from time to time, they serve great as backup or for moving files, but you should get an internal HDD for your important stuff.

Usually for the price of a big external HDD you can buy a couple huge internal SATA drives and have them in RAID either for being ultra fast or extra safe. Donīt wait until your hard drive is full to buy this, nowadays HDD are pretty cheap and usually they donīt come DOA if you buy them in the internet.

BTW great system you have there

Valkyrien
06-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Pretty much what I was going to build :) Mine, however, was going to cost closer to $1000, though all of the major expensive components were the same...

You'll be wanting Windows x64 though, not regular Pro :)

jbo
06-05-2006, 07:11 PM
You'll be wanting Windows x64 though, not regular Pro :)

why? with only 2gigs of ram xp64 wouldn't do anything differently unless he runs native 64 bit apps which is unlikely.

PanzerMKZ
06-05-2006, 09:23 PM
what you going to do with the old box? I would say buy another drive. Yea I know you don't really need it. something like maybe a WD 320gig. Move all of your data (music and such) to that drive. and then slick old box and setup for network render. That way you get just that much more power.

Panzer

PanzerMKZ
06-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Ed did his standard search for boxx and posted to this thread. Laugh. Thanks again for the Boxx shirt. I wear it with pride.

Panzer

MassTA
06-06-2006, 09:08 AM
-1 Year Parts and Labor Warranty

Crappy 1 year warranty. :P

PanzerMKZ
06-06-2006, 05:04 PM
Yea but in one year this machine will be out of date.

Panzer

MattClary
06-06-2006, 06:08 PM
Crappy 1 year warranty. :P

If computer hardware survives a good 72 hour burn in, it will last years, barring an act of god or an act of stupidity.

lollygag
06-06-2006, 06:20 PM
If computer hardware survives a good 72 hour burn in, it will last years, barring an act of god or an act of stupidity.

Both of which.. (depending on where you live and who you are) can be quite common.

lolly Ü

CGTalk Moderation
06-06-2006, 06:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.