PDA

View Full Version : X-Men 3 knocked off the top spot by..

eek
06-05-2006, 02:21 AM
http://apnews.excite.com/article/20060605/D8I1OEEG0.html

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Supported by real-life romantic splits and hookups, Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn's "The Break-Up" pulled an upset over the mutant world of the "X-Men."

"The Break-Up" debuted more strongly than expected with $38.1 million to take over as the No. 1 weekend movie (http://apnews.excite.com/article/20060605/D8I1OEEG0.html#) from "X-Men: The Last Stand," which slipped to second place with $34.35 million, according to studio estimates Sunday.

Public getting bored with special-effect bonanzers?

RobertoOrtiz
06-05-2006, 02:33 AM
Nah, give it a week. The movie is a Drama with some comedy in it, with a marketing campaing that sold it a light comedy. And I hear the movie has some VERY dark scenes in it. The word of mouth will shoot down this puppy.

-R

OneSharpMarble
06-05-2006, 03:01 AM
You can never have too many movies with talent the likes of Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Aniston in them........

Ouch my sarcasm gland hurts. :(

Apoclypse
06-05-2006, 03:06 AM
i heard about that marketing move. I was baout to go see it then i saw the reviews 33%. Ouch!

maX_Andrews
06-05-2006, 07:47 AM
It was not worth it. Saw it because we got to the theatre too late for mission impossible, it was "OK" but there wasn't really a point or any real depth, and it wasn't funny enough to be a full-on comedy, so it seemed like a silly, adolescent drama.

JDex
06-05-2006, 07:51 AM
Nah, give it a week... The word of mouth will shoot down this puppy.

-R

I think the same can be said for X3... everyone I've discussed it with this week who hasn't seen it, doesn't plan to, and those who have said it wasn't good.

leigh
06-05-2006, 07:54 AM
The word of mouth will shoot down this puppy.

More like word of mouth shot down X3. Let's face it, most people who saw it don't seem to like it. I thought it was pretty weak myself.

noisewar
06-05-2006, 08:00 AM
You can never have too many movies with talent the likes of Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Aniston in them........

Didn't know they were that hated... I've never had a problem with them myself, always seemed to do their roles well as typecast as they were. :hmm:

JDex
06-05-2006, 08:17 AM
Didn't know they were that hated... I've never had a problem with them myself, always seemed to do their roles well as typecast as they were. :hmm:

I agree... neither are obvious Grade A dramatic thespians, but come on... considering how pathetic the performances of certain more "praised" actors have been in recent years, they always strike me as believable and enjoyable in the roles they choose.

In The Good Girl, Jennifer really shined... great part and performance. Vince is always good in his signature roles.

unchikun
06-05-2006, 02:48 PM
The word of mouth will shoot down this puppy.

I think the word is Cars ;)

6foot5
06-05-2006, 03:06 PM
i liked x-men 3, i know it was instantly forgetable but i enjoyed it, Why does every film have to have a life changing impact on you??

As for Vince Vaughn and the girl Aniston..meh, i think both are perfectly likable. just my tuppence worth.
:)

AdamHerbert
06-05-2006, 03:20 PM
I think the word is Cars ;)

That's what I was thinking. Saw X3 and thought it was alright and I think The Break Up looks ok as well, but Cars is what I'm really looking forward too.

NanoGator
06-05-2006, 03:34 PM
It's also worth pointing out that this is movie has a potentially wider audience than X3.

charleyc
06-05-2006, 03:53 PM
i liked x-men 3, i know it was instantly forgetable but i enjoyed it, Why does every film have to have a life changing impact on you??

I agree, I liked it. And strangely enough, so did everyone I went to see it with as well as their friends. To answer your other (rhetorical) question; Everything to us is comparative, graded on the curve of our opinions. X3 was a very well made, high production film. But it wasn't as good as some of the other films we have seen within the last couple years, so...it sucks, it was lame, total crap... The problem with this fact of human nature is the very issue you get with things like drugs...what did it for you before, doesn't do it for you now. Critics can have a sway to what people will and wont see, but in the end, it is the sheer numbers that really matter to Hollywood. X3 made (and will continue to make) a ton of money. As long as it brings in enough to turn a profit, it is a successful film, regardless of what the critics are saying.

The summer is just getting started. There are a number of films that will no doubt blow these initial films out of the water. Cars, Pirates2, Superman...whether good or not, LOTS will go see them.

Rick Flowers
06-05-2006, 05:02 PM
if superman and pirates suck too... (but I doubt as hard as xmen did)... then I can officially say that the moder blockbuster is bad- and have evidence going back to poseidon.

lest we forget Son of The Mask

oh and Pirates will make record box office numbers. Mark my words.

charleyc
06-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Superman could easily be the biggest success of the summer. Superman has got to be the most well known super hero of all time. People that are not even big super hero fans will go see this movie. Even if many adults don't like it, children will be a lot less picky. Everyone I know with young kids is anxiously awaiting this film. I think Cars is the only other film I know of that is going to draw in the kids as much.

Rick Flowers
06-05-2006, 05:25 PM
I promise you that Pirates will beat Superman.

Tons of people are fed up with super heros this year, and last year, and it will only get progressively worse.

Besides, the sexes are involved. *hint*

People will see both at least once, but all the fangirls will go see Pirates more than once. Thus, Pirates makes more money.

Anybody remember Titanic? It was the girls who though Decaprio was the cutest thing ever. The movie wasn't actually that good, or short.

Plus, Superman's trailers are not good at all.

I have a lot of evidence to support a prediction of Pirates winning the year's box office.

charleyc
06-05-2006, 05:36 PM
LOL I like some of your points. However, if so many people were really fed up with super hero movies, then X3 wouldn't have broken records for opening day ticket sales. Most of the people I know that are not in any way into any part of the film making industy are very anxious to see Superman (as well as Pirates2). I will be the first to admit, I am probably anticipating both films equally, so I would never say that your prediction is unfounded. Just don't underestimate the power of the kid apeal. Pirates2 could be a bit too dark for younger children, Superman most likely will not be. My children (the two that can communicate, 5 and 4 years old) love to watch the first Pirates, at home on a tv. They said they do not want to go see Pirates2 in the theater, they want to see it on tv. Also getting a babysitter is not always easy and conveniant, films that parents want to see that they can take children to (who also want to see it) are a good thing for them.No matter, for me, so far this year, I am liking the films and it seems to only be getting better.

Array
06-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Nah, give it a week. The movie is a Drama with some comedy in it, with a marketing campaing that sold it a light comedy. And I hear the movie has some VERY dark scenes in it. The word of mouth will shoot down this puppy.

-R

Heheh. The same thing happened with Ramis' "The Ice Harvest"! The marketers billed it as the next "bad santa". Boy were they off. Half the theater left halfway through the showing (there were only about 20 people in the theater to begin with though). Regardless, it was a great flick :)

Rick Flowers
06-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Well I simply disagree.

May I remind you that X3 didn't break any records.. it came in second. Sure it broke a record for "memorial day weekend".... but hey, I'm sure any of these summer movies could have done that if they had opened on that day. +_+

If we had a big flick come out today on Monday, we could talk about how it broke ALL RECORDS OF ALL TIME FOR JUNE 5TH. but I mean, come on. It's no different than the abused "#1 MOVIE IN AMERICA" routine.

It was the comic book geek fans, good timing, and the efforts of the first two films that gave X3 a paycheck. Otherwise it would have been dead in the water. I can't find a single non-obsessed geek who thought it was any good. Even most of its fans think it sucked.

I went to showcase how bad it was to a friend, and, the small audience laughed at parts that were not intended to be funny, and had outbursts such as "OH MY GOD".. (not in the good way).. and... "yaaaaaaay"..

X3 is laughable. Ice Age 2 made more money, and it didn't even need a holiday 4-day weekend. It doesn't even have fanboys.. or overbown advertising... etc.

Edit: Pirates 1 made $46,630,690. Opening weekend.
That is approx half of what XMen3 made.. WITHOUT any real fans, or shoving it in everybody's face at every screening a year in advance.

CupOWonton
06-05-2006, 06:08 PM

Ouch my sarcasm gland hurts. :(

Youre a brave brave man. My sarcasm gland would have vaporised had I tried to say that.

charleyc
06-05-2006, 06:11 PM
I am not an obsessed geek. I never even really read comics, never the X-men ones. I watched the cartoon some times, I just like to watch super hero movie. The theater I saw it in clapped at the end (something that annoys me terribly..as if anyone who worked on the film can hear them...). I and all the people I saw it with really liked it. One of them is a massive sports fan who only went because his kid likes this stuff. The reason that the memorial day weekend thing is even worth mentioning is that it is a day when a lot of people have off, make plans, do family outings..., so I am sure a lot can go see movies if they wanted, which they apparently did. The show was selling out opening day, we had to bump our time and some one of our friends wife couldn't watch with us because she couldn't get the ticket in time. To me that says that people are not fed up with super hero movies.

I am not saying your opinion of how well Pirates2 will do is misplaced, I just think that some of the reasons you think Superman will not do so good is.

Also, Pirates1 had LOTS of fans. Most everyone who has ever been to a Disney Theme Park.

CupOWonton
06-05-2006, 06:19 PM
Edit: Pirates 1 made $46,630,690. Opening weekend.
That is approx half of what XMen3 made.. WITHOUT any real fans, or shoving it in everybody's face at every screening a year in advance.
I hope Pirates 2 blows StarWars out of the water on every record.

JeroenDStout
06-05-2006, 06:27 PM
Pirates, eh? Johnny Depp (always a handsome man), Keira Knightly (always a gorgeous woman) and Orlando Bloom (bloody elf he is)... versus a man in tight pants saving the world wearing a big 'S' on his chest. I know who the comic book / superhero / action flick people are going for. But the large market, the 'female market' mostly, I'd estimate going for pirates.

Somehow I'm not excited about it, though. I really liked the first movie, but eventually fangirls ruined it for me. There's only a number of time one can see Johnny Depp avatars and being reminded how they'd do anything for a Depp-kiss before his libido is making clear to him that Pirates has horrible repercussions.

Not that Depp isn't great. He is. It's just, I hate his dedicated fans. Same'd happen if I entered a boy's room with poster of half-nude Natalie Portmans. It'd just think "Oh christ, he's .. oh ewwww, I love that girl, damnit!" and hate him for it. Not that I ever would enter such a room. Can't imagine why, anyway. ... Rooms, eh?

archerx
06-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Jeroen, I find your post a bit Ironic with your Alyx avatar, but that could just be me.... :p

JeroenDStout
06-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Now there's an 'oops' moment.

*lightning fast action*

Soooo-oh, what avatar were we talking about, eh? Stilllll... I never quite started drooling over Alyx. Well. Not much, anyway. Oh, alright, I was in awe that she hugged me - but I never started about smoochies! ANYWAY! It's nowhere near the.. the... largeness that is the drool over Depp... and...

Oh, alright, you'd better shut it, young man, before I think of something witty enough to pop your mind! :scream:

DAZKevin
06-06-2006, 06:19 PM
I don't know a single person who isn't hotly anticipating Pirates...

I am hard pressed to find someone who is that anxious for Superman.
Mind you, there are plenty of people who want to see it, and will--many on opening day-- but it isn't the same kind of excitement...

RobertoOrtiz
06-06-2006, 06:31 PM
Supes and Pirates will BOTH do well.

Overseas sales for both will be HUGE.

-R

JeroenDStout
06-06-2006, 07:26 PM
I don't know a single person who isn't hotly anticipating Pirates...
Found me ;)

Supes and Pirates will BOTH do well.

Overseas sales for both will be HUGE.

-R
You mean... European sales?

Digit
06-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Found me ;)

And me! :) I hated pirates of the carribean and am skipping the sequel for sure!

simps
06-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Plus, Superman's trailers are not good at all.

Are you high? Superman looks great! I am one that is anxiously awaiting it. Pirates 2, well, I'll see it too, it looks good.
Don't be surprised if Cars wins the summer Box Office.

unchikun
06-07-2006, 02:28 AM
I didn't like the trailers that much either. The comping wasnt so good I thought, but with the past popularity of Lois and Clark and these days with Smallville I'm sure it will be a big hit.

I also noticed it will be in Imax 3-D which might be interesting.

Michael5188
06-07-2006, 02:39 AM
Gotta say I'm not looknig forward to Superman, but then I've never been a fan of him as a superhero. I'm really looking forward to Pirates, I just find Depp's role really entertaining to watch.

DezFX
06-07-2006, 03:52 AM
I am going on record here, so mark my words. Also, feel free to come back and rub it in my face if I am wrong about this...hehehe

Cars will be #1 in the box office for at least the first 3 weeks it is in theaters. Then it may be bumped to #2 for the week Superman comes out. But all of July will belong to Pirates 2.

I have said this before and I will gladly say it again...Cars will be the Oscar Winner for Best Animated Feature this year. For those who say, "let's wait until we see it before making that claim..." I have.

:applause: BEST PIXAR FILM TO DATE! :applause:

Peddy
06-07-2006, 05:25 AM
wow so people really are anticipating Pirates2? well there ya go....
i may see it. kiera knightley sounds more appealing than blue and red tights, even if she is a size negative something.

CGTalk Moderation
06-07-2006, 05:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.