PDA

View Full Version : Wacom issues with Windows 2000

leigh
01-11-2003, 02:27 AM
Wacom: Graphire (the first one, not Graphire 2)

Okay, my Wacom is seriously driving me NUTS!! :annoyed:

My old computer was running Windows 98, and I never had a single issue with my Wacom.

However, now with Windows 2000, I am having an annoying problem.
No matter what I do, Windows keeps installing the damn thing as a HID-compliant device - it totally ignores the drivers that I install for it from my Wacom disc.

I've tried uninstalling it, and rebooting, but it always automatically reinstalls the device as an HID compliant device. Because of this, my Wacom is not giving me proper precision - it jumps downwards everytime I click.

Not only is it installing as an HID device, but it also installs as a USB Human Interface Device - it shows up twice like this in my Device Manager - as both an HID-compliant Device, and as a USB Human Interface Device. Why is this happening? If I try and disable on of them, then the Wacom doesn't work at all :annoyed:

Why is Windows doing this? Is there any way to prevent it from installing these automatically, so that I can try installing the Wacom driver before Windows decides what the device is?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

dvornik
01-11-2003, 03:25 AM
I've had issues with my Wacoms since I bought my first one. Intuos 1 and 2. At work as well. I assumed that's how wacom works with windows. All I can do is confirm that my tablet behaves same as yours. I don't know which part of it is problematic, I assumed that's just how their drivers work in win2k. What was it like in win98? I'll try it on XP to see what's going on.

leigh
01-11-2003, 03:31 AM
Well, as I said, it always worked perfectly on my Windows 98 machine. Never had any issues - it worked beautifully!

Now, because Windows 2000 is completely ignoring the Wacom drivers, it is not configured properly. I mean, I can use it but it's not working smoothly.

Basically, whenever I place the Wacom down to draw a line, it kinda jumps accross, so whenever I try and draw anything, all my strokes start off with a nasty straight line, about 30-40 pixels long, because of the way that it jumps.

It's seriously driving me mad :annoyed:

MCronin
01-11-2003, 03:42 AM
I think you should email Wacom's support on this one. I searched the web and Wacom's site looking for info about the HID issue but came up empty. The only thing Wacom says on their site about jumpy curosrs is to move the tablet away from anything that would cause interference (monitor, speakers, stereo, cables, and I assume this goes for the Wacom's usb cable as well.) Good thing, though, in digging through all these pages, I actually figured out how to get the pressure on my Intuos 2 working in Linux.:thumbsup:

http://www.wacom-europe.com/uk/company/contact/index.asp

MCronin
01-11-2003, 03:45 AM
One last thing, unplug the wacom, remove the HID driver and USB HID driver and reboot, hit F8 befre windows boots to go into safe mode, and try installing the Wacom drivers there.

gruvsyco
01-11-2003, 04:02 AM
Honestly, they will probably first recommend you install the latest service pack for Win2k. I'm not sure what you are using for drivers but... if you went to their site and downloaded the latest, they may have something in them that was updated for a more recent service pack (it's possible, although I don't believe probable).

Have you tried taking the HID device and switching it's driver manually over to the Wacom driver? It's just a thought. I have a Wacom Intuos and don't seem to have any problems with it.

dvornik
01-11-2003, 04:05 AM
Tried everything, including calling Wacom and emailing them. Their win2k drivers are problematic on every system and every tablet I worked with.

leigh
01-11-2003, 04:07 AM
MCronin, I tried doing the Safe Mode thing, but it didn't work either :cry:
I think that gruvsyco has a good point about the service pack thing - I've been meaning to download service pack 2 for a while now anyway....

gruvsyco - I tried to manually install the Wacom drivers over the HID-compliant Device drivers, but it doesn't work. It just keeps saying that the driver installed is already suitable :annoyed: :annoyed:

Dvornik - that is baaaaad news :sad: :cry:
Perhaps I should put the Wacom back onto my Windows 98 machine... although that is a MAJOR hassle, because I do not have a monitor for it :cry:

This is just really frustrating though :annoyed:

dvornik
01-11-2003, 04:10 AM
SP2 and SP3 didn't make any difference for me. I was surprised to hear they work fine in 98 (not an option for me).

leigh
01-11-2003, 04:11 AM
:cry: :cry:

MCronin
01-11-2003, 04:13 AM
Yeah, I had this same HID problem like I said, it took me 20 minutes to fix it and I have no idea how I got it working. I have SP3, so I don't think the Service Pack update will solve the problem.

dvornik
01-11-2003, 04:17 AM
MCronin, could you think of what you did to solve it?

By the way what shows in your device manager? I thought HID and USB human interface are normal.

MCronin
01-11-2003, 04:30 AM
Well, I'm not in Windows now, so I can't check, but it should display as Wacom. If it installs as a generic HID pointing device, which is what mine was doing, pressure and tilt won't work right, and the tablet will probably work in relative mode rather than absolute. You can still draw with the tablet, you just don't get all the nifty features you bought the tablet for.

gruvsyco
01-11-2003, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by Leigh
:cry: :cry:

It should be telling you... A suitable driver is already installed. There "should" be an option to (you have to read how it is worded very carefully) use the driver you selected and not the already installed driver.

gruvsyco
01-11-2003, 05:06 AM
OK... just took a look at mine. I DO NOT have a hardware device loaded that says Wacom anything. I do have a device loaded that says HID-Compliant Device.

My tablet appears to have all of its functionality. I installed the Wacom drivers and it allows me to adjust everything for the tablet ie tilt/modes/sensitivity and all that.

Once the driver is installed you should have a control panel device for the tablet.

gruvsyco
01-11-2003, 05:12 AM
If you guys Have MSN Messenger and netmeeting, I can try to help. gruvsyco@hotmail.com

dvornik
01-11-2003, 05:15 AM
And you never have these cursor jumps? Not the ones caused by interference, which is a different story.

gruvsyco
01-11-2003, 05:20 AM
Ummm.. no

MCronin
01-11-2003, 05:58 AM
I'm sorry, I think I may have confused the issue. It seems a properly installed USB Wacom tablet will show up under "Mice and other pointing devices" as "HID-Compliant mouse". Not Wacom, the serial tablets actually are identified as Wacom, I think. The problem I was having was that the tablet was not using the Wacom driver, it was using a "Generic HID-Compliant device" driver. So the tablet worked like a mouse, but no pressure, no tilt. This may not be the same problem Leigh is having. If you have pressure your tablet is probably using he right driver, and the problem may be something else.

nimajneb
01-12-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Leigh
Wacom: Graphire (the first one, not Graphire 2)

Okay, my Wacom is seriously driving me NUTS!! :annoyed:

My old computer was running Windows 98, and I never had a single issue with my Wacom.

However, now with Windows 2000, I am having an annoying problem.
No matter what I do, Windows keeps installing the damn thing as a HID-compliant device - it totally ignores the drivers that I install for it from my Wacom disc.

I've tried uninstalling it, and rebooting, but it always automatically reinstalls the device as an HID compliant device. Because of this, my Wacom is not giving me proper precision - it jumps downwards everytime I click.

Not only is it installing as an HID device, but it also installs as a USB Human Interface Device - it shows up twice like this in my Device Manager - as both an HID-compliant Device, and as a USB Human Interface Device. Why is this happening? If I try and disable on of them, then the Wacom doesn't work at all :annoyed:

Why is Windows doing this? Is there any way to prevent it from installing these automatically, so that I can try installing the Wacom driver before Windows decides what the device is?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Well, as I said, it always worked perfectly on my Windows 98 machine. Never had any issues - it worked beautifully!

Now, because Windows 2000 is completely ignoring the Wacom drivers, it is not configured properly. I mean, I can use it but it's not working smoothly.

Basically, whenever I place the Wacom down to draw a line, it kinda jumps accross, so whenever I try and draw anything, all my strokes start off with a nasty straight line, about 30-40 pixels long, because of the way that it jumps.

It's seriously driving me mad

I'm using a Intuous 1, big tablet. Device Manager lists it as two tems. HID-compliant interfacem and USB Human Interface Device. This normal. Has always been that way. Wacom supplies and additional driver package that has to be installed. Get the most recent WHQL driver from their website. Once you do this, you will have a new WACOM control panel to setup your tablet. Your jumps could be one of the following.

0. OS not upto date. Solution, make sure SP3 installed.

1. Bad driver install. Solution, remove the tablet. Reboot. Let windows clean out the drivers. Run the WACOM uninstaller if you've already. DL the WHQL cerified driver. Plug in the tablet, and run the installer.

2. Defective tablet or pen. Things do wear out. Skipping like you describe could be the result of a bad pen or bad sensor in the tablet. Solution, try alternated tablet after clean install.

3. Defect in the USB. Cable twisted wrong could damage wiring. Similarly plug might be effected. Bad HUB in the loop? Controller functioning as expected? Anything bad in the USB hardware could cause a non-linear signal of data and this odd response. Solution, try your tablet on alternate machine. Remove items from the USB loop.

If none of this works, then we move into the realm of major hardware problems. However I can tell you that Win2K works with my WACOM fine. Let me know what happens.

leigh
01-12-2003, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the info, nimajneb :thumbsup:
I'm sure I'll get this sorted soon ;)

frog
01-13-2003, 01:16 PM
Does your Wacom control panel work? If so then your drivers are ok.

Some settings can affect tablet performance: in the Wacom control panel unclick "double click assist" and in the "tablet mode" panel select "single mode - no dual track"

Also make sure that your tablet isn't too close to your monitor.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.