PDA

View Full Version : Challenge issues resolved here.

lildragon
01-11-2003, 01:39 AM

InnerVortex
01-11-2003, 02:29 AM
can we use models weve done before?.. since.. the thing is not to model but the animation.. or.. should just do some.. very very simple model for this challenge?

lildragon
01-11-2003, 02:34 AM
yup that's fine, it's all about animation here

salud

A MacVey
01-11-2003, 02:57 AM
what about models downloaded from websties like 3dtotal? can i have more than one shot angle in the animation? Do you know what the prices are going to be? I need some kinda motivation;)

PS: sorry for being OT but i was only joking about the the prizes as being my only motivation. I know i have no chance for them, i mean come on what chance does a 14 year old boy who has been character animating for about 2 months have against people twice my age who have been doin it for years? My motivation is learning and that feelin i get when i finish something and i am really proud of it

SheepFactory
01-11-2003, 03:10 AM
your motivation should be learning ;)

bentllama
01-11-2003, 03:10 AM
your motivation should be the animation itself.

prizes, IF they are supplied, will not be announced till later in the challenge anyway.

Lano
01-11-2003, 05:03 AM
question about rig?

what if our rig is built and is styled to look like a character, do we then still need to build the geometry for the character?

thx

LucentDreams
01-11-2003, 08:19 PM
if someone was crazy enough to dot his classically what would be the guidlines for them, since I obviously won't have time to paint, no 3point lighting, just curious as I already have a LOTR model I will be dong, and a 2D picture to paint, I need to do what I'm faster at to even try to getinto this one, besides no one else is animating with a pencil.

bentllama
01-11-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Kaiskai
if someone was crazy enough to dot his classically what would be the guidlines for them, since I obviously won't have time to paint, no 3point lighting, just curious as I already have a LOTR model I will be dong, and a 2D picture to paint, I need to do what I'm faster at to even try to getinto this one, besides no one else is animating with a pencil.

go ahead with 2d. it will be rereshing to see some classical animation here.

just follow the guidelines that you can...static camera...format...

LucentDreams
01-11-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by bentllama
go ahead with 2d. it will be rereshing to see some classical animation here.

just follow the guidelines that you can...static camera...format...

static camera should be easy :) Well we'll see what I can do will start to night, busy painting right at the moment and working on website, so much to do not of it paid for :(

DrAdamDinosaur
01-12-2003, 12:19 AM
Does the main light (shadow caster) have to be fixed or can it be moved?

bentllama
01-12-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by DrAdamDinosaur
Does the main light (shadow caster) have to be fixed or can it be moved?

the main light CAN be moved...

ie) torch, lamp, rudolph's nose, :)

Marion
01-12-2003, 12:58 AM
can we use models weve done before?..

yup that's fine, it's all about animation here

is that ok even if the model doesn't comply with the challenge rules? (i.e. not segmented...) I've got a character I just got ready to go and I'm kinda itching to try it out on this... but it's skinned:hmm:

Pleeeeze?

SheepFactory
01-12-2003, 01:04 AM
guys ,

A new topic [Elven dexterity] has been added to the challenge topics you can choose from.

--

Lano
01-12-2003, 04:43 AM
ok i have a rig i built, but i am confused as to the geometry of the character. i have attached an image. one of the characters (which is an orc) with just the body renderd, and a render where you can see the rig.

http://www.nickchilano.net/orc.jpg

http://www.nickchilano.net/orc2.jpg

i just want to make sure the model i built which is obviously very simple will do for the challenge?

thank you

Twisted-Imperial
01-12-2003, 04:44 AM
well so were ok to do 2d animation this time round? i missed out last time, didnt realize it was there with animation till the end, anyways i may do a animatinon pecie after i finish my 3d peice, as long as its still alright to do, not that i care too much about the winnig and loosing its all about challanging ur self right? but im still curious will it be judged amonst the animation peices?

peace

bentllama
01-12-2003, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by Lano
ok i have a rig i built, but i am confused as to the geometry of the character. i have attached an image. one of the characters (which is an orc) with just the body renderd, and a render where you can see the rig.

*snip*

i just want to make sure the model i built which is obviously very simple will do for the challenge?

thank you

Lano,

that model will do just fine. it is exactly meets the challenge criteria...

Have fun animating!

Jozvex
01-12-2003, 08:27 AM
I have two questions,

1. Even though it's a static camera, can we still have multiple camera angles?

I only mean 2 or 3, not 10 or anything. I may not even need them but I can see it being difficult with only the one.

2. Can we use compositing effects for things like disappearing (after putting on the ring)?

Thanks and don't worry, I'm not going to use heaps of distracting effects when it's an animation challenge.

LucentDreams
01-12-2003, 08:31 AM
not one to make official answers, but it seems to me multiple camera angles and effects could distract from the task at hand which is the character. I think the VFX challenge will start on monday.

Jozvex
01-12-2003, 10:00 AM
It wouldn't distract! Honest!

I only want 3 static camera changes, and 1 disappearing effect!

You know how in LOTR they don't just *pop* away when they put the ring on? It's like a quick wipe effect thing?

That's all I want!

RezaMisaghi
01-12-2003, 12:25 PM
Hi there ...
Yes Please !! Can we use multiple Static Cameras ?? 2 or 3 ??
That's good for every thing !!! And nothing will go out of focus !!

I have another question ! Can I use DOF or Motion Blur ??

Thanx
Reza Misaghi

schmu_20mol
01-12-2003, 05:31 PM
just one quick thingie....what's this with sectional geometry...what's this? ....i'm used to just do my things as they flow, so i can't imagine what you think of when using this word:D

bentllama
01-12-2003, 09:58 PM
Static camera: 1 fixed camera...1 fixed shot... [this promotes clever use of staging, and allows one to focus on the animation at hand]

DOF and motion blur are allowed...but remember the focus is the animation...

sectional geometry are simple representations of parts of a character that are parented/linked to the joints/bones...look at the link below for an example: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27771 ...the sectional geometry can be as simple or as complex as you like...no deformations are to be used [ie: blendshapes, skinning, etc]

have fun guys...hope to see your entries soon! :)

:beer:

bentllama
01-12-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Twisted Imperia
well so were ok to do 2d animation this time round? i missed out last time, didnt realize it was there with animation till the end, anyways i may do a animatinon pecie after i finish my 3d peice, as long as its still alright to do, not that i care too much about the winnig and loosing its all about challanging ur self right? but im still curious will it be judged amonst the animation peices?

peace

2D animation is still animation, last time I checked :) ...and this is an animation challenge...

motion is universal

Jozvex
01-13-2003, 01:50 AM
Static camera: 1 fixed camera...1 fixed shot... [this promotes clever use of staging, and allows one to focus on the animation at hand]

Ohhhh okaaaay!

no deformations are to be used [ie: blendshapes, skinning, etc]

Well rule 11 actually says we can use use blendshapes this round, just thought I'd save confusion.

Ok so I'm stuck with one camera angle, but what about my disappearing effect? Is that allowed?

A MacVey
01-13-2003, 03:39 AM
is it fine if i just use the standard bip?(i would modify the proportions somehow) or is part of the challenge to rig up the model?

bentllama
01-13-2003, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by Jozvex
Well rule 11 actually says we can use use blendshapes this round, just thought I'd save confusion

So it does. Someone must have slipped that one by me...

:surprised

Fede
01-14-2003, 08:18 AM
Hey guys, same question as above, can we use standard CS bip with edited parts or do we need to rig?

Thanx

bentllama
01-14-2003, 10:13 AM
If you cannot create a custom rig, then the CS biped setup will be OK to use...

...just don't render the ugly thing! :) lol

Fede
01-14-2003, 10:27 AM
HEHEHE Thanx bentlama, i'll do my best to hide the skanky biped.

later

lostfilez
01-14-2003, 08:50 PM
How strict is the 15 second limit?? Is it absolutely 15 seconds, or maybe 2 to 3 over?? Just curious :shrug:

LucentDreams
01-14-2003, 09:40 PM
down to the exact millisecond, anthing over and they take your little dog too ;)

danyrey
01-15-2003, 12:05 PM
Hello,
im planning to participate on this challenge for the first time and i have one but simple question:

The rules say sorenson quicktime a must, but how do i encode that?
I have qt installed but in Virtualdub sorenson isn't listed.
Will MPEG1 do fine, too? I mean, it should be viewable on all systems.

LucentDreams
01-15-2003, 07:32 PM
true mpeg 1 is viewable in all, and virtual dub won't do quicktime, but you should be able to render as a quicktime straight out of your app, and its not like there will be a load of post editing done on these filmms as the focus is 3D character animation

ACFred
01-17-2003, 10:22 AM
Does static camera mean completely non-animated camera? What about focal length. Camera stays put but focal length changes. I was thinking of doing that for the reveal shot.

Alec

bentllama
01-17-2003, 05:39 PM
static camera is a fixed camera that cannot move...focal legth can change, etc, etc...but as soon as the framing on your shot moves...then it is no longer a fixed/static camera...

BishopLynx
01-19-2003, 08:48 PM
I just wanted to make sure that this scene is going to be allowed.
I kept it as simple as possible but before I proceed I would like to make sure this is OK.

BishopLynx
01-20-2003, 10:49 PM
to clarify...the reason I am asking is because I used a texture in the background for the trees. I realize that we are not to use textures so I just wanted to see if this would fly.

srv
01-21-2003, 03:11 AM
This is similar to BishopLynx' query.
I am thinking of maybe animating my rock giant traditionally, the main character is 3d.
Can I composite the two together?
E.g a textured background

bentllama
01-21-2003, 07:38 AM
Again the focus is on the animation...

a character that is 2d animated is acceptable...

2d backgrounds are acceptable too, though keep in mind that the animation itself is what is key in the scene...and if the animation is weak, then it really does not matter what eye candy you put in the background...

looking forward to seeing the entries progress...now time to get working on mine :)

Jozvex
01-23-2003, 07:38 AM
Can we have a little dynamics?

My elf has a quiver of arrows on his back, and I was thinking of having them be rigid bodies so that they'd jostle about while he walks etc. Just to add some secondary motion.

*predicts a response of: "if you want secondary motion, animate it yourself!"*

bentllama
01-23-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Jozvex
Can we have a little dynamics?

My elf has a quiver of arrows on his back, and I was thinking of having them be rigid bodies so that they'd jostle about while he walks etc. Just to add some secondary motion.

*predicts a response of: "if you want secondary motion, animate it yourself!"*

i would say animate it by hand, since it will be more of a challenge...but useing dynamics is not against the guidelines posted...

Jozvex
01-23-2003, 08:29 AM
Ok cool, though it seems like it may actually be more trouble than it's worth.

KayosIII
01-25-2003, 10:38 AM
Soronson Codec IS NOT AVAILABLE on my platform... I do not have tools for working with this format.... Ability to view this format is still months off and ability to encode in this format may never happen due to patent issues.

Can we please please please choose a more open codec.... I am willing to help with testing....

Thanks
Danni

bentllama
01-25-2003, 07:28 PM
I will chat with lil'D and the other mods about the codec... :)

KayosIII
01-25-2003, 10:53 PM
Thanks BentLlama

zeroeefx
01-25-2003, 11:48 PM
is this setup??????? ok plz let me know ,there one directionalLight and two point lights , just making sure this is ok before i start my thred:airguitar :thumbsup: :thumbsdow let me know

bentllama
01-26-2003, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by zeroeefx
is this setup??????? ok plz let me know ,there one directionalLight and two point lights , just making sure this is ok before i start my thred:airguitar :thumbsup: :thumbsdow let me know

looks fine.

Stephen Vyas
01-27-2003, 01:52 PM
Another possibility could be mpeg-1 codec, which seems to have a better compression rate. From tests I've done, the compression rate is a bit higher than divx but still quite suitable.

A divx file at 1.75 megs is 2.26 megs in mpeg-1

Cheers
Steve

TRi-14
01-29-2003, 11:16 PM
hiys guys,

are particles allowed?

i would like to use an emitter with some fields only to get the message to the viewer that a torch is being blown out by a breeze....
i know of other solutions, so moderators, please let me know if you approve. if not thats perfectly cool with me :) :cool:

Thanks guys!!!

TRi

BishopLynx
01-30-2003, 11:56 PM
Just curious,

When all is said and done with all of the challenges how are they voted upon. Is it by the moderaters or what?

THanks,

Matthew

phansmeier
02-02-2003, 12:56 AM
hey can I do more then one entry I have two ideas one for the weapon drawn in a cave and the other for finding the one ring. please can I do them both.(':shrug:')

thanks Paul

prestonh
02-02-2003, 01:14 AM
hi my question is about partical fire. Like just simple cartoony fire, using basic particals. if not I will just make some quick riped up modelst of fire to simulate the partical fire. If you have any suggestions let me know.
javascript:smilie(':buttrock:')
thanks Preston javascript:smilie(':airguitar')
I will soon post my storyboards later today.

Yan Loong Wong
02-28-2003, 03:17 PM
hi,
is there a place where we can upload all our entries? i'm asking because i've been using those free web space from geocities, and often times it'll exceed data transfer. I'm afraid that might make my entry unavailable for viewing by the submission deadline(which is today..)

-yan

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.