PDA

View Full Version : UV killer app in 3DS MAX (unfold 3D plugin for max!)

dominopizza
06-03-2006, 10:44 PM
Hey guys,

I am beta-testing plug-in version for Max of unfold3d, and I am convinced that it's become now a real killer app, so I made this video just to make it sure for some friends of mine who are pelt-fan... look :

unfold3d vs pelt in max (http://dragonsanctury02.free.fr/unfold3dmaxVSunwrapuvw_xvid.avi)

Is it me, using pelt wrong way (see in video how pelt does not even succeed in getting uv map for this character model !), or is unfold3d just the best and quickest unwrapper I ever saw ???

Cheers

soulburn3d
06-04-2006, 05:59 PM
Looks neat. Make sure to post when the plugin is complete and ready for sale.

- Neil

Rigged
06-08-2006, 06:22 AM
Looks amazing,

anyone is been waiting for this !!

harmonic01
06-11-2006, 03:16 AM
Wow, that's pretty sweet. :) Under a minute is pretty impressive.

remi.a
06-13-2006, 12:25 AM
The unfold3dmax plug-in use the same code of the standalone version of unfold3d v5. So the same powerfull unwrapping algorithm is present in the standalone and the plug-in version. This algorithm newly present since the v5 is the only one able to always gives usable UV coordinates (no foldover/trianglesflip, very few distortion) with every model geometry of every sizes and in a very easy way (one click to launch the unwrapping process after having marked the seams, no parameters to adjust).

This video only shows the unfolding step. But the unfold3d plug-in for Max benefits also to the semi-automatic edges/seams selection with previsualisation like in the standalone version. Unwrapping a big character like this one (50000 facets), composed by several parts, is really a question of minutes now (including the seam marking step).

And with this plug-in version, you dont have to deal with obj import/export :thumbsup:

As the plug in is not yet released, my editor has not yet choosen the price but he said : "sold at a raisonnable price". We will see.

I realy hope that Max users will love this plug.

cheers,

remi

Haider of Sweden
07-04-2006, 07:19 AM
One hell of an unwrapper!
Even the standalone is cool itself - of course, having it plugged in, in a 3d application makes it all much easier.

Thanx for the tip - never heard of Unfold3d even though it is at v5.

Ian Jones
07-04-2006, 02:16 PM
This may seem odd, but what's it like with non-organic forms? is it useful?

Looks really great, can't believe how well that worked. :thumbsup:

Haider of Sweden
07-04-2006, 02:28 PM
It would be interesting to implent the edgeselection thing for marking out hard edges and such, for non-organic models.

I will be interesting to see how it handles non-organic models, since even this isnt so easy and not to be forgotten.

CGTalk Moderation
07-04-2006, 02:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.