PDA

View Full Version : AK47 rigid sling, how to rig properly?

Morganhahaha
06-03-2006, 10:24 PM
Its just a sling for gods sake, how come 3D Max keeps bugging out when I try to paint the weights onto it?

What exactly am I doing wrong here? More importantly, how do I just get this thing to have one parented to Point A on the gun, and the other end to point B, with the middle section for me to manipulate side to side as to give the effect of gravity/inertia when the gun is moved?

A rigid sling is very noticable, anyone know how to rig this so I can have it's ends stay where their supposed to, and so the mid section can be adjusted when I move the gun?

http://img333.imageshack.us/img333/8876/slingo14jl.jpg

http://img333.imageshack.us/img333/2672/slingo24bq.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Morganhahaha
06-03-2006, 10:31 PM
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/4170/ak10328fw.gif

See what I mean about the sling? I don't mind animating it to swing back and forth, I just don't understand how to rig it to work like that.

eek
06-04-2006, 03:45 AM
Add a point at the middle of the sling, parent it to the main bone, and add the point to the skin. Then weight it and animate the point. If you cant export a point use a bone. Im asuming the ak is skinned to a bone or several for the mechanism to work etc.

or if you have two points, at each end parented to the gun, you could use them as bones in the skin, weighting the middles of the sling to each 50/50 etc. Then all you do is rotate the points. But the ends will rotate unless you have another point or a main bone to skin them to.

eek

darkjedi1929
06-04-2006, 04:53 PM
Unless I am very much mistaken, yo do have splineIK in max....you could try using it. And if you have any export restrictions, you could try baking the animation to the bones and then deleteing the splineIK setup....

Morganhahaha
06-04-2006, 07:48 PM
I considered Spline IK, but my max tutorials are all gone, and I can't find one on the internet that is free. I put down 6 bones in a chain, and lines it up to the sling, then I clicked the first one, selected Spline IK, and clicked the second bone, and thats all it would let me do. Did I do that wrong? Its been a long time since the spline IK snake tutorial on 3ds max 6 :rolleyes:

Also, for parenting the ends of the sling to the AK's sling swivels, is there any way to make a ball joint constraint of some sort? Or do I just make two dummies, parent them to the AK where the sling swivels are, then parent the end bones to those dummies?

eek
06-04-2006, 11:57 PM
It really doesnt need to be that complicated - and using too many bones will be overkill. I take it this is for unreal or source. And your using the actor-x exporter if in unreal. So make, one bone for the main gun, make another for the mechanism pin, one for the ammo and one more for the strap. Parent all these to the main bone.

Skin the gun to its bone, the mechnism to its bone and the ammo. Skin the strap to the main bone and its bone, (being one in the center of the strap). Then just animate the bone in the middle of the strap.

You dont even need all those bones, just have two bones, "main" & "strap" skin the main gun to the main bone, and parent the mechanism and ammo to this bone. Then skin the strap to the main bone and strap bone. Parent/constrain the main bone to a point to animate, do the same with the strap bone and parent that point to the first point. Then just animate the points.

Morganhahaha
06-05-2006, 12:00 AM
Thats what I've been trying to do, but the envelopes haven't been cooperating at all, being too too rigid, not letting me set absolutes without in causing errors, etc... I'll try again though :(

eek
06-05-2006, 12:30 AM
Dont use envelopes, weight the vertices, either by hand or paint the blend weights - its a lot easier. Envelopes are a rough estimation. You got "show vertices' ticked in the skin modifier (at the top) Theres even a blend weight button that does some amazing fixes.

cheers,

CGTalk Moderation
06-05-2006, 12:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.