PDA

View Full Version : Low & High Res Facial Rigging

BigRedDogg
06-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Hi everyone,

I am hoping some one will be able to explain to me a way to set up a low&high res face for rigging. Here is my situation:

I am bringing a high res and a low res obj from ZBrush into Maya and I would like to rig up the low res and have the high res automatically deform. Just like you can do with smooth proxy. If this is possible please let me know how.

Hezza
06-05-2006, 09:59 PM
Just wrap deform the highres model onto the lowres one. Simple as that really, as long as they match up closely (which i assume they do) and theres another detail in the lowres one then you shouldn't really have a problem.

Another option would be to go the displacement map route, just rig/animate the low-res mesh and then subdivide/displace at render time.

Hez

BigRedDogg
06-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Hezza,

Thanks, I will do a few tests of wrap deforming and displacement mapping it. I am not familiar with displacement maps, I understand the concept but have yet to put it into practice.

If I use one displacement map come render time will the mesh deform throughout the animation?

Hezza
06-06-2006, 02:11 PM
If you want to experiment with displacement maps then i highly advise getting the zbrush->maya displacement guide. Its available on the zbrushcentral forums and will save you lots of headaches and frustrations :) It gives a pretty good step by step example of how it all works. + there's a few massive threads on the subject here and again on zbrushcentral.

Good luck
Hez

CGTalk Moderation
06-06-2006, 02:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.