PDA

View Full Version : Two simple biped questions that i'm sure you can answer :-)

everlite
06-03-2006, 03:03 PM
Hey people,

Please see linked SWF file (about 1.2mb):

http://www.thedaveidentity.co.uk/video/biped1.swf

The front legs seems unnatural, any suggestions on how to improve this? can you make the hands stay level with the ground as the feet do?

Also i recently posted this in the wrong place not realising there was actually a section for rigging :-) so any ideas on this one please let me know ...

I'm having a little trouble with biped, when i try to replace the head with characters head, through the curve editor, it seems to screw up a little. It replaces for sure but ten times larger and completely off the chart and rotated. Can't seem to figure out why, any suggestions? i've tried applying and collapsing an xform but no look.

Cheers - Dave.

akeissami
06-12-2006, 08:30 PM
cool video, helped a lot.

i wouldn't worry too much about the hands. that's just how the biped is constrained in 3ds max by default. You may be able to use subanim controllers but i think it would be more hassle then it's worth. i've set up quads (using bipeds) similar to the one you had in your video and even though the hand setup is not ideal, it was still easy to animate and manage.

to get the mesh replaced with your biped head...

1. orient your head mesh towards the negative y axis.
2. reset xForms on it and collapse your stack
3. open rotation transform type-in dialog and enter 180 in z, and -90 in y (don't worry if the values shift to -90 or 180 in y and x)
4. reset xFroms and collapse your stack
5. copy/paste your object mesh tracks

I think the scale issue you mentioned is a 3ds max bug. I would suggest scaling all the verts down in sub-object mode.

_stev_
06-12-2006, 10:36 PM
The front legs seems unnatural, any suggestions on how to improve this? can you make the hands stay level with the ground as the feet do?

If you set a "sliding key", the hands should stay level with the ground when you move them around.

Stev

eek
06-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Looks like the front legs are missing the all-important foot lock bone "metacarpus". Essentially its should walk on its toes, with the foot locking to the lower leg. As it lifts/crosses over the passing position it unlocks. I.e a transverse gallop of a horse or a rotary gallop of a dog.

http://www.seefido.com/assets/images/skeleton0303.JPG

CGTalk Moderation
06-12-2006, 11:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.