PDA

View Full Version : OBJ export problem???

moocowfish
06-03-2006, 10:17 AM
Hi everyone, i was hoping someone could help, im trying to export an object in obj format from 3dsmax8 and keep the material (http://69.42.87.207/cgi-bin/ezlclk.fcgi?id=9395)s attached so i can just open it in another document, or someone else could too. The material always si not there in the library, im not sure what im doing wrong, ive read the manual and there isnt much there, ive checked all the boxes that say keep materials etc youd think this would do it. Im probably doing something so obviously wrong.
thanks in advance for any help anyone can shed on this.
regards
Rob

Hexwarp
08-27-2006, 04:44 AM
lol, Rob, i'm having the same problem. I'm trying to convert a mesh form max and materials to import into Maya. I've got the model and mats into max but Maya displays the materials as being a very wide specular sheens on parts, so much that it sort of looks like hot spots from lighting. If anyone knows about either problem it would help.

kawallo
08-30-2006, 03:07 PM
...and there is another obj export problem: in the export options, even if you can choose between trialgles, quads or polygons, the polygons option is not supported. All the original ngons become triangles and quads!!!

Hexwarp
08-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Kawallo, from what I have read you should try and have the quads option selected. I have got my models imported but their still are some "defects" in their topolgy. I have been told by a friend that the .fbx plug in at Kaydara site is worth a download. I don't think their is anyway to import OBJ's and completely get a "clean" topology in my limited experince so far.

CGTalk Moderation
08-30-2006, 08:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.