PDA

View Full Version : Races of Middle Earth - character - Agent D

Agent D
01-10-2003, 11:01 PM
Interesting challenge topic! I don't really have any ideas right now, so I'm just putting up a placeholder for now. Time to go draw and look at my Fellowship of the Rings artwork book. :D

KingMob
01-10-2003, 11:34 PM
lets see a concept man, you are lagging behind!

hehe cant wait to see what ya come up with.

Agent D
01-10-2003, 11:42 PM
I'm not lagging! Only a fraction of the 20,000 people have started yet! :p
Anyway, I'll think of concepts tonight, as well as studying my FOTRs artwork book and LOTRs creature book I got for Christmas. Maybe I'll have something by tonight or tomorrow.

erilaz
01-11-2003, 01:50 PM
Do a giant squirrel.:p

Can't wait to see what you've in store for us!

Agent D
01-12-2003, 07:00 AM
Ok, I've beek sketching a little bit, so I'll post what I have so far:

Agent D
01-12-2003, 07:01 AM
Here's another. Probably some sort of nocturnal assassin.

Agent D
01-12-2003, 07:04 AM
This is a non-aligned cave creature which eats passerbys. I like this concept the most so far.

Per-Anders
01-12-2003, 07:05 AM
good start, lets see some modelling on this freaky toothy character!

Agent D
01-12-2003, 07:06 AM
Another picture of the cave creature.
By the way, these were drawn with a mechanical pencil so go easy on me. :p I am starting a drawing class, so I'll get better soon. *Note: This is a later version than the previus image, and I've added another set of legs to help it climb around on the cave walls*

KingMob
01-12-2003, 07:10 AM
nice Agent.

I like the last one best...should be fun to see in 3d.

now get modeling boy! :thumbsup:

AgentX
01-12-2003, 07:35 AM
Very Nice D. I think you should do that last one. I wish i had time to join in the challenge! ...Damn college...

Agent D
01-12-2003, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the comments, everyone! I think I've decided on the cave creature concept. I'll post again soon with the description/origin of the creature, and hopefully I'll start modelling tomorrow or the next day. Here's a drawing of the creature's head I made today:

Agent D
01-15-2003, 12:52 AM
The delduwathi are very rare and reclusive creatures that are said to inhabit the deep jungles and caves along the coastlines of a remote island. Many years ago, a powerfull easterling warlord captured and domesticated several of these creatures to guard his cavern vaults against intruders. The delduwathi proved to be very intelligent and were able to easily discern between the occasional thieves and the workers who brought shipments of arms and treasure to the vaults. During a suprise incursion by a neighboring warlord, the vaults were cut off from the main kingdom, and the guard detail on the surface was forced flee. Sealing and camouflaging the entrances, they left to rejoin the main army.

The opposing army captured and held the neighboring territory for many years, but never discovered the vaults. Finally, in the face of defeat, the easterling warlord made a pact with one of his former enemies to join him and drive off the invaders in exchange for a share of the treasure in the vaults. The gamble was a success, and soon they had reclaimed their land. A small group was sent to scout and reopen the seals, but never returned. The warlord, fearing that the enemy had captured them, sent an expeditionary force to the vaults, and found them to be open, and apparently deserted. Upon entering the vault, they were ambushed and almost completely slaughtered by a large number of delduwathi. Survivors reported that the creatures had set traps in the tunnels and even seemed to be communicating with eachother in a primitive language. A military campaign was started to reclaim the vaults, but due to the narrow passageways, success was impossible, and the vaults were abandoned.

It is theorized that the delduwathi have a primitive culture which was dormant during their captivity, and that they simply reverted back to their previous state when abandoned. The cavern vaults are currently the only known habitate of the creatures, and while the vaults are a considerable draw to thieves and scholors alike, none but the most foolhardy dare to venture inside.

P.S. I have actually started modelling, and here's the result of about 30 minutes of work roughing out the arm shape. The preportions look a bit off because of the perspective.

AgentX
01-15-2003, 01:12 PM
*sigh* Looks decent so far AgentD. But i expect some good work from you! You have plenty of time...unlike other people! :annoyed: Keep posting!

coCoKNIght
01-15-2003, 01:50 PM
This is a cool creature you're going to model, good luck! :thumbsup:

Agent D
01-16-2003, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the comments, all are appreciated! Just roughing out the basic head shape. I haven't really worked on it much, but due to my wonderfull schedule planning, I have no school until Monday night! :buttrock:
I'll probably model the entire body like this, and then work from there to add detail and form to each area.

AgentX
01-16-2003, 11:33 PM
Looks good, I want to see more! Comon, you have no school until monday, you ought to have a good bit done! :D

KingMob
01-17-2003, 12:02 AM
looks good so far!

keep it comin homey :buttrock:

Agent D
01-17-2003, 02:33 AM
Not really an update... just messing around. :)

AgentX
01-17-2003, 03:21 PM
Awesome AgentD. I like it, although i really would like to see a test Sub-D version. It would help get an idea of the direction it is going. Thanks. Keep it up. :buttrock:

Agent D
01-18-2003, 01:05 AM
Torso polygon render:

Agent D
01-18-2003, 01:06 AM
Torso Sub-D render:

Agent D
01-18-2003, 01:08 AM
Any C&C appreciated.

leigh
01-18-2003, 01:20 AM
Cool creature! Although I do think that it needs a fair amount more detail, however, since this is very much a WIP, I'm sure you are going to be adding more detail soon ;)

It might be cool to model some really wrinkled areas around the eyes :)
Also, you should make the teeth a little more jagged - it's not likely that a guy like this visits an orthodontist all that much, so make his teeth nice and skew! :D

Agent D
01-18-2003, 01:29 AM
Thanks, Leigh! I'm going to be working further on the torso and adding more arms/legs this weekend, then I'll start working more on the details. That's a good idea about the teeth though, I'll keep it in mind. :)

Agent D
01-19-2003, 03:25 AM
Minor updates. I've been working on the face a bit, as well as the hands (hard to tell there) Tomorrow I'll add another pair of arms.

Agent D
01-19-2003, 03:26 AM
Face comparison:

Lukashi
01-19-2003, 07:56 PM
:bounce: Good stuff Agent D, really like the arm muscles :)

eddy-3ddy
01-19-2003, 10:34 PM
I like the teath a lot. I don't have too add some comment here. They already did

CobraX
01-21-2003, 05:48 AM
Nice Creature MAn !

The design is way cool :) Keep it up :)

:bounce: :bounce:

AgentX
01-24-2003, 04:16 PM
Hey AgentD, are we ever gonna see more? Your last update was 5 days ago. Comon man, you must have more by now! :p

AgentX
02-05-2003, 03:50 PM
Hey AgentD...did you die or something? Comon man, lets see an update! We are waiting! :p

KingMob
02-05-2003, 03:58 PM
Yeah whats going on here?!

and people say my updates take to long...

if you update again, I'll play AAO with you guys (and get shot many times)

Come on may, the people have spoken!

Agent D
02-06-2003, 03:46 AM
Yes, I was run over by a sleigh powered by donkeys. It all happened while performing good deeds for the community, and unfortunately I was in fact killed. However, as a member of the undead, perhaps my work ethic will now improve.

Anyway, here's an old update. I'm just attaching the arms right now, and haven't really modified the shape/size of the second pair.

mtmckinley
02-06-2003, 04:27 AM
coming along well, D. :)

chadlychoo
02-06-2003, 05:45 AM
Looking great! I love the head, really cool!

Agent D
02-09-2003, 12:37 AM
Well, small updates again. I'm having trouble keeping concentrated on it, but hopefully I'll be able to sit down and really work on it soon. The deadline doesn't seem so far away now... ;)

Agent D
02-09-2003, 12:39 AM
Another shot. What I want to do this weekend: Work on proportions, tweak the arms and hands, add a tail.

elloco
02-09-2003, 12:53 AM
cool ... imaginative ... I like it ... the way it's progressing, it is in danger of becoming a spider tho ...

AgentX
02-10-2003, 07:13 AM
Nice D, I like it. However i will agree with the last post it is in danger of becoming a spider. How about maybe Legs on the back, instead of arm like limbs. And/or stretch the body out. IT is kind short, makes it look very spider like with their little round bodys. I like it though. Keep it up!

Agent D
02-13-2003, 03:36 AM
I've managed to work on it a bit tonight, and I've started to add new back legs and modify the torso, as well as various other tweaks. I also put the tail on it, which helps it look a lot less spider-like.

KingMob
02-13-2003, 04:11 AM
agent d! that looks great man, i love the pos so much, and that tail adds so much...i can see this critter lurking in a cave ready to eat a poor wittle hobbit!

aces!

AgentX
02-13-2003, 07:05 AM
Ah ha! Very nice. I like that look alot! No more spider like appearance. A distinct look to him. Good pose as well. Keep it up, I want to see more!

AAO!

Fetus23
02-13-2003, 07:23 AM
Agent D!!..this pose looks much better and more natural for the character.. :thumbsup: ..Will he be a creature with matieral possesions and trinkets or a truely free spirted animal with no need for such things?? :).. Keep up the good work!!

:wavey:
fetus

Agent D
02-13-2003, 07:53 AM
KingMob: Maybe I should model a hobbit and have the creature biting it's head off in the final image... :twisted: ;)

AgentX: AAO tomorrow night!

Fetus23: I am considering giving it a crudely modified human weapon, as well as some sort of ornamentation such as a metal collar or arm bands, but I'm not sure yet. I'll try to finish modelling and texturing it before I worry about that. Someone also recommended that I give the creature tattoos, which might look cool.

elloco
02-14-2003, 01:17 AM
... very nice progress ... lost the spider element ... I love the eye ... it's entrancing and scary at the same time ... the perfect trap ... :surprised

Lukashi
02-14-2003, 02:09 AM
Nice stuff agent, but i needs more details :), get to work :wip:

AgentX
02-19-2003, 02:56 PM
Um...AgentD...did you die again? Comon! UPDATE! Time is getting short! You gotta finish, I must see more! AAHHHHHH! *THUD*.......................................... ;)

Agent D
02-22-2003, 03:01 AM
Well, another minor update again... :hmm:

http://agentd7.tripod.com/updatefeb21high.txt

Mangled Poly
02-22-2003, 05:43 AM
AWESOME!

coCoKNIght
02-22-2003, 08:24 AM
It's getting better and better, good work!

AgentX
02-22-2003, 09:32 PM
Sweet D! I like it! Looking really awesome! Can't wait to see final product!

Agent D
02-27-2003, 02:28 AM
I made the UV map (my first) yesterday, and I'm starting to work on textures. The top creature has a basic greyscale color map applied, and the bottom two have an additional color layer applied. I'm just messing around with colors right now, so I'm not sure what I'll do with the final image.

http://agentd7.tripod.com/creaturerender1.txt
Any crits or comments appreciated.

KingMob
02-27-2003, 02:48 AM
I really like the subtle colors idea...and its stillt o early for any big texture crits, so Instread I am going to give my..opinions! (wheee)

I think making him really slimy and gross would be cool...like sickly colors... mixed with that brownish purple.. that would be keen.

ANd dont go to snake/reptile like...I see him more like spider/hairless rat thing... just something unsettling and wrong.

just my humble opinions. good stuff so far!

if you keep the tat's btw, give him a few trinkits and such to hold onto, otherwise he is just a nudist of his people (to that could be an interesting story)

coCoKNIght
02-27-2003, 06:24 AM
I like the colors very much, also the tatoos fit very well. Keep it up! :thumbsup:

AgentX
02-28-2003, 06:15 AM
Excellent D! Coming along nicely. I like thsoe textures alot. I agree, no hair... I think some more muscle definition with the textures would be cool. But that is a great start! Where does this creature live? That would factor in his texturing...like if he lives in a dirty area...etc... I like it! Keep it up!

Grub
02-28-2003, 06:27 AM
With four arms he looks like he might swing throught the tree-tops... Maybe a forest camo colour scheme would suit?:shrug:
Commendations on your modelling, Agent. Over and out.:cool:

Agent D
02-28-2003, 07:34 AM
Another update: Textures are still in an experimental mode, as is the lighting and environment... :hmm:

Thanks for the comments everyone! These particular creatures live in caves, and don't get a lot of sunlight, hence their slightly pale look. If they were from the jungles, they would be much healthier and well fed. Anyway, I'm not sure how much time I'll have to work on this, as it's due later today (EST) and I need sleep.

http://www.cgchallenge.com/entries/2496/20_large.jpg

KingMob
02-28-2003, 07:45 AM
hey man I really like how it looks! i still think you should do a slightly harshe rbump on it. add some wrinkles and details that way...but I dig it man, good work! hope you get at least one more update in ;)

Jos Metadi
02-28-2003, 06:14 PM
Very cool concept and work!

The middle shoulders and chest don't feel right to me. It makes it look like you did him with 4 limbs, then just copied the torso again and moved it up. Perhaps try making the muscle structure different from the top shoulders and chest.

Also, I'm not sure if you've already planned this, but the tip of the tail could use some more detailing (no pun intended) and shaping.

JoS

OZ
02-28-2003, 06:40 PM
CREEPY!!!veeery good work....thecreature is very well designed and modeled.:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.