PDA

View Full Version : XSI 5.1 on win XP 64 freezes bigtime

daniel77
06-02-2006, 06:19 PM
This not a questin more of a cry out in dispair. I run XSI 5.1 on a XP 64 machine. The problem I am facing is that XSI locks up as soon as I do a region render (or any other render aswell). This is very anoing and slows down my workflow ALOT.

I have read on the softimage site that they know about this problem and that it doesn't exists in the 5.0 release. I can't go back now because I am in the middle of a project. So if anybody on the softimage team read this. PLEASE fix this bug because your wonderful product is becoming a pain in the #@$@ when it comes to rendering nowadays.

francescaluce
06-03-2006, 03:45 PM
This not a questin more of a cry out in dispair.
so let me cry a bit too... renderregion with 5.1 is pretty crap..
64 and 32bit, - it does not update anymore and you can't even
stop it when you have a dual cpu or even a satellite. I need to
tweak always with a single cpu or a single machine. really hope
this thing will be addressed as with 5.0 there're no problems. :cry:

ciao
francesca

Sbowling
06-03-2006, 11:55 PM
so let me cry a bit too... renderregion with 5.1 is pretty crap..
64 and 32bit, - it does not update anymore and you can't even
stop it when you have a dual cpu or even a satellite. I need to
tweak always with a single cpu or a single machine. really hope
this thing will be addressed as with 5.0 there're no problems. :cry:

ciao
francesca

I've seen a similar problem with network rendering, but I have no problems with my dual core systems. The satellite problem was there with 5.0 as well. I just make sure I have satelite rendering turned off unless I'm doig my fdinal renders and don't have any problems (with win32, don't really use win64 much).

francescaluce
06-04-2006, 12:41 AM
I've seen a similar problem with network rendering
yep I was referring to that while speaking about satellite. it's that I
have both installed on my machine (5.0 and 5.1) and the latter really
don't wanna work smoothly when in distributed rendering. :cry:

ciao
francesca

rooktooky
06-04-2006, 03:59 PM
I've mistakenly found out why XSI locks up. This is at least the solution for my system. You have to be connected to the internet and XSI has to be able to accept connections. I watch ZoneAlarm and every time I render, there is a mass of activity happening. This includes render region. You must be constantly connected. Check your security software. I don't know why this is happening but I hope it gets fixed.

qba3d
06-04-2006, 04:53 PM
hmmm:) funny ... i just connected a second LCD and my render region became useless... i tried many drivers but my gf 6800 and two 20 inch lcds dont like XSI or vice versa:).... i wonder what to do? Shluld i go back to single Monitor layout or what? It just freezes... 100%cpu and thats it..

Dont want to still the Topic but it seems that the problem is moehow related... or it is not?

Q

Atyss
06-05-2006, 12:57 AM
I've mistakenly found out why XSI locks up. This is at least the solution for my system. You have to be connected to the internet and XSI has to be able to accept connections. I watch ZoneAlarm and every time I render, there is a mass of activity happening. This includes render region. You must be constantly connected. Check your security software. I don't know why this is happening but I hope it gets fixed.

It has always been that way and it is not a bug. Never wondered what were those 7003/7050 messages when you install XSI or the SPM? mental ray and XSI use your computer ports to communicate with the license server and with satellites.

Btw you need not be connected to the internet, but your TCP/IP needs to be functional and the executables need the port access by the firewall.

As to why is the rendering problem happening I have no idea, hopefully you guys have reported these issues in great length to Softimage customer support?

Cheers
Bernard

Spacelord
06-05-2006, 01:53 AM
Satelite rendering crashes even on regular renders for me, not just render region.
I am running XSI 5.1 32bit on Windows64bit so that could be some of the cause.

XSI crashes sometimes when I go into pick mode, Picking a reference edge,
or picking material from object. Any body else getting these crashes ?
I was thinking this is probably driver related.
In the task manager XSI just sits just using %50 of the cpu, doesn't matter how
long I leave it, it never comes back.

cheers

CGTalk Moderation
06-05-2006, 01:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.