PDA

View Full Version : Animation demo reel

enian82
06-02-2006, 05:23 PM
Hi all

I am going to do my demo reel in which i am going to focus only on ANIMATION. I am an animation student who is going to finish course in 2 months time and i would like to do a good demo reel which would fetch me a job . I am doing my animation course at Seneca college , Toronto

I am prety confused with how to go about it

1. Either to take up a small 10 seconds sound clip and then doing it like 3 or 4 clips
which will constitue approximately about 40 seconds .
2.Doing a fight sequence for a minute.
3.Doing a small story for two mins which will have all texturing lighting and modeling.

For the first two i am not going to do anything other than ..animation i am going to grab a few rigs in the internet .

I wish you could guide me a good solution as soon as possible
Yeshwanth

Thanks in advance for your valuble replies

AN-DR
06-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Take into consideration the whole point of a demo reel is to show potential employers your range of skills. Would a 1 minute fight sequence show your vast array of skills? You would have to be careful not to duplicate animations which would be difficult in a fight scene, how many different animations could you throw into a 1 minute fight sequence? The vast majority of students just finishing education usually show a few examples of their work as this shows you they can do several types of animation. Concentrating only on character animation would cut down potential jobs. What would you like to see if you was going to hire an animator?

Abhimation
06-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Hey Enian,

1. Either to take up a small 10 seconds sound clip and then doing it like 3 or 4 clips
which will constitue approximately about 40 seconds .

Yeah that sound good. You can pick your own sound clips too from any movie you like. This way you can showup your acting skills in your reel.

2.Doing a fight sequence for a minute.

Doesnt sounds nice. Concentrate on making your reel compact, interesting to watch and clips with variety of required animation skills. You can go ahead for animation excercises like lifting a weight or different attitude walk cycles, waiting for a bus etc.

3.Doing a small story for two mins which will have all texturing lighting and modeling.

If u are hardcore animation lover..i dont think you wanna spent time on modeling, texturing and other things ??

Keep working on different kinds of shortclips like actings, animation exercises, attitude walk/runs. Pick out the ones you and your mates love the most.. compile them n therrr...thats your reel.

GoodLuck !!

enian82
06-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Hi

Thanks a lot Mr Abhi and Mr Andrew...for your comments
i think i rather take up 10 secons clips and work on it...
Thanks a lot

CGTalk Moderation
06-07-2006, 10:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.