PDA

View Full Version : Poser vs Maya: Easier to get started with

CuppoJava
06-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Hi,
I'm programming a game, and I need to make some placeholder graphics that involve some mannequin going through a series of poses. I've been trying to use Poser 6, but I find the manipulation tools really confusing. eg. Twist vs. Bend vs. Rotate?

Are these manipulation commands basic stuff, so I'll need to learn them no matter what program i use? Or is the interface for Poser just kinda buggy?

I only need placeholder graphics, so quality is not an issue. I just need to make them as fast as I can. What do you guys recommend? Stick to poser and just learn it's quirks, or devote some quality time to learn Maya?

Thanks a lot
-Cuppo

PS: If anyone would like to help: my game is a top-down shooter based on the Equilibrium movie. There are 4 30-second placeholder animations that I need, which should take around 10 minutes each for someone that knows what they're doing.

vrkaya
06-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Sounds like you better focus on Poser, for now. Maya is magnitudes more complex, and magnitudes more in quality, too.

Also, this is pertinent. People who know what they're doing definitely know it takes longer then 10 minutes to create an animation. The 4 sequences you describe would be 3600 frames!! Animation only looks simple when you watch the finished project. If you work more with Poser, you will start to learn this. I do believe, though, that Poser has some sort of automatic walk-cycle feature - but I'm not sure. It's been awhile since I've used it.

Good luck,
Ron

CuppoJava
06-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the reply Ron,
I'll settle with Poser for doing my placeholders for now.

PS: Just from an industry perspective: When I finish programming the engine, I would like to hire an artist to do the graphics for me. Are there any artists out there that wouldn't mind the developer sitting in during his drawing sessions? I wouldn't distract the artist or comment on anything, but rather I just want to watch what techniques he uses. Is this an unheard of proposition?

vrkaya
06-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the reply Ron,
I'll settle with Poser for doing my placeholders for now.

PS: Just from an industry perspective: When I finish programming the engine, I would like to hire an artist to do the graphics for me. Are there any artists out there that wouldn't mind the developer sitting in during his drawing sessions? I wouldn't distract the artist or comment on anything, but rather I just want to watch what techniques he uses. Is this an unheard of proposition?

I can't speak from the industry perspective but I can say I've never heard of it myself. I can understand your desire to learn and I think you would find much better info buying some training DVDs, or one of the many good books, or attending a class at an industry convention. You probably wouldn't get near as much out of watching someone complete a job because they are going to be using every shortcut they know, things (to a newbie) will happen fast, and I'm sure they wouldn't stop to explain much. Training materials are specifically tailored to teach you how to do the work yourself.

Since you mentioned Maya earlier, you may consider downloading the Maya Personal Learning Edition. It's free, allows you to work with Maya and develop skills, and there's lots of training material to start you out. You can find Maya PLE at Autodesk's website. Maya is a good, solid choice for the cg industry.

Regards, Ron

CuppoJava
06-03-2006, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the guidance.
I actually have the Maya PLE installed, and have worked through a couple of tutorials. I'm just kinda scared by the seemingly impossible learning curve.
I'll order myself a gnomon dvd and see if that can speed things up.

stew
06-14-2006, 03:39 PM
If you just need a few stand-in animations and plan to have an experienced animator do the final version, you may want to have a look at the 3rd party content market for Poser. There are a bunch of animated poses available, some of them handmade, other from motion capture data. This won't give you original content, but should give you a usable draft in a much shorter time than learning how to animate yourself.

One place to look at would be:
http://www.the-forge.ie/

CGTalk Moderation
06-14-2006, 03:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.