PDA

View Full Version : question about re-install...pls help

Darkseal
06-02-2006, 05:00 PM
I am looking to upgrade the cpu in my machine. The manufacturer says that I must upgrade the Bios (flash) and possibly do a total re-install of the OS (win XP home 32bit)

My questions to you all is -

1. Will I have ANY problems reinstalling Maya 7.0 in my computer with the original flexLM file originaly give to me? Will it register fine?

2. OR - will it think its a whole new pc and make me buy a new license for a new seat ($2000)

3. Same scenario but upgrading to a new OS like Windows Vista (when it comes out) or Win 64 bit

ANY experience with a re-install of maya and your journey of problems, or lack there of, would be GREATLY appreciated.

hominid
06-02-2006, 07:19 PM
As far as node locked licenses, Maya's licensing is derived from the network adapter in your computer. If your old computer has a removeable network card in it then plug that in to your new computer. Maya will then work fine with the old flexlm file. I know this because I just replaced my motherboard, and maya is working fine now.

If you are using a built in network adapter and can't move it to your new computer then you will have to contact Autodesk/Alias about transferring the license.

Cheers,
Pete

Darkseal
06-02-2006, 11:03 PM
I'm not replacing any network adapter, I would be replacing the cpu and doing a reinstall of the OS and then MAya. So if you are telling me that the registration info come directly from the internal lan connection from my pc (if I understand right) then I will be just fine. No matter if I use a new cpu, update bios, install a NEW OS or reinstall the same OS.

Is this correct?

hominid
06-03-2006, 12:10 AM
Yes, I believe that is correct as long as the LAN hardware hasn't changed.

Pete

CGTalk Moderation
06-03-2006, 12:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.