PDA

View Full Version : BBC: Toshiba's fuel cell technology for laptops put to the test

RobertoOrtiz
06-02-2006, 02:40 PM
Quote:
"Electronics companies are promoting fuel cells as an environmentally-friendly and convenient alternative to traditional lithium ion batteries.

The technology promises to supplement or replace today's batteries in laptops. Instead of storing power, fuel cells generate electricity by breaking down methanol via an electrochemical process.

The cells can be recharged by topping them up with methanol from a cartridge. Recently, Toshiba, Hitachi, Fujitsu, Samsung and Sanyo, among others, have shown prototypes that suggest that the technology is just around the corner"

>>LINK<< (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5016984.stm)

-R

SHEPEIRO
06-02-2006, 02:56 PM
yeah and when your computer crashes one more time and this time you cant take it anymore, crack open your laptop and get merry

DaveWortley
06-02-2006, 11:03 PM
what it potentially means is laptops will run for days not hours, or it'll mean they can be more powerful and run for similar lengths of time.

I did some work for a fuel cell company last year.

www.fuelcellmarkets.com (http://www.fuelcellmarkets.com)

my brother works for them, u wanna know anything about fuel cells they're the people to ask.

PatternRecognition
06-03-2006, 06:00 PM
I can't wait to get one of these. I hope they make them compatible with older laptop models too, I got mine the beginning of this year and regulary take it on 6+ hour bus trips with me :)

utchamp
06-03-2006, 06:31 PM
yeah, but i didn't see them mentioning even a starting price.... in my book- bad news. And methanol isn't exactly over the counter.

this raises another question: will the company pay for a new laptop if the electrolosis frys yours?

And also, i have a dc to ac converter for my laptop so it is no problem to run in the car or at home or anywhere else. Why do i need this technology??

Don't take me wrong, i am very intreseted and i think that it is cool that people are doing this but will it really be that great?

quyeno
06-03-2006, 10:03 PM
i think the technology is awesome. who would think that 100ml of methanol would power a laptop for 10 hours! i wonder what spec of laptop they tried it on and what type of software?

CGTalk Moderation
06-03-2006, 10:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.