PDA

View Full Version : Modelling a human head that much faster in Zbrush than Maya?

Pollo
06-02-2006, 02:04 PM
Hello,
I was watching a Gnomon tutorial and the guy was creating a human head from a simple low poly "outline" created in Maya rather fast. I have done some low poly modelling, and a little high res stuff.

I often hear people speak of Maya being great for animation and several other things, but it's 3d modelling is subpar compared to 3D Studio Max, Zbrush, etc. Now that Maya has edge-loops, that helps quite a bit.

However, those of you who have had experience modelling orgranic things (humans for this example), is it really that much quicker in Zbrush after creating a simple base model/mesh in Maya?

The video tutorial is sped up, as no human can move a mouse/select stuff that fast, but still ,if slowed down, it still is going much faster than I have seen anyone do in Maya by pulling/pushing vertices, extruding edges, et al.

Trybal
06-18-2006, 08:00 AM
Hi, I've been using 3ds max for a while, making playable characters for UT2004 (under the name Bitter Pill). I'm used to making the most out of 3k - 4k poly models, and haven't really made a high resolution model before. I just got ZBrush a couple of days ago, and decided to make a test head to learn the program. I made a very basic head in max and fully detailed it in ZBrush much quicker than I could have done in max alone. Here is what I started with and what I've made so far. Total work time is less than 2 full days. Hopefully this helps you with your question. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/thebitterpill/BasicHead.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/thebitterpill/DetailedHead.jpg

Pollo
06-18-2006, 06:14 PM
Cool deal, very good progress :)

benclark
06-20-2006, 08:26 PM
Its true that Zbrush is very powerful and gives good results very quickly but most people still use it in conjunction with one of the more traditional 3D programs

I mainly model low poly stuff and use Zbrush to create normal maps for organic portions of the mesh. For modeling things like heads it is much quicker and a lot more intuitive to add details in Zbrush than creating a highres model and editing it vertex by vertex.

Displacement maps have been around for years but sculpting them out on a mesh is infinetly easier than hand painting them

I think the trick is not to make the model look 'Zbrushy' though. Most people will automatically give their characters a really defined face structure and a ridiculous 6pack, but the people that are really masters of the software know how to use it in a subtle way

Trybal
06-21-2006, 02:17 AM
Exactly. The example I posted was a completely disposable model, only sculpted to test the software and my understanding of it. That's why I began with such a poor base model. Had this been part of a project I would have first made a very nice looking base mesh in max before exporting, and jumped back and forth between programs to perfect it. Pollo, my advice is to create the best shaped mesh you can in Maya beforehand, and not rely on ZBrush exclusively to finish it. For Example, you might find that You need to change the proportions on a model to fit an exact size from some other model (e.g. matching an alien to ride a vehicle). It could be very useful to export back to Maya and change it using a precise method. Then send it back to ZBrush for more high level refinement. From my experience so far, I know that I'll be saving a lot of time with this program. :)

CGTalk Moderation
06-21-2006, 02:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.