PDA

View Full Version : ATI Introduces Complete Line of Next Generation FireGL Cards

pixelmonk
06-02-2006, 12:12 PM
http://ir.ati.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=105421&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=846094&highlight=

ATI's Avivo™ technology powers new family of high performance FireGL products for DCC, CAD and visualization customers.

ATI Technologies Inc. (TSX:ATY)(NASDAQ:ATYT) today announced a complete top-to-bottom line of next generation FireGL™ workstation graphics accelerators for professional users. The new family of products range from an ultra high-end one gigabyte configuration to 128MB model, and are all based on ATI's scalable, ultrathreaded architecture with Avivo™ video and display technology.

The next generation FireGL family includes the FireGL™ V3300 and FireGL™ V3400 for the entry level segment, the FireGL™ V5200 targeting the mid-range, and the high-end FireGL™ V7200, complementing the ultra high-end FireGL™ V7300 and FireGL™ V7350 announced in March of this year. With these products, ATI continues to advance the state of the art in workstation graphics, and drive advanced features to more affordable price points. Based on ATI's industry-leading Avivo technology, these accelerators incorporate the following advanced features:

A 10-bit display pipeline capable of rendering scenes with over a billion colors;
High dynamic range (HDR) 16-bit per RGB component output for incredible image fidelity;
Dual link output, capable of driving ultra-high resolution cinema/widescreen monitors.
"ATI's engineering excellence continually leads the industry, and these new workstation products are no exception, delivering the first one gigabyte framebuffer, the first dual link output in an entry level solution, the first to offer two dual link outputs in a mid-range product, and the first to develop a 10-bit rendering pipeline as a core capability," said Joe Chien, General Manager, Workstation Group, ATI. "With this new lineup, ATI delivers the fastest performing and most fully featured workstation graphics accelerators at each price segment."

"ATI has now set its sights on expanding their business further into the mid-range and high end segments of the market, having led the entry level workstation graphics market since the industry transition to PCI Express," said Lloyd Cohen, Research Director, Technical Computing, IDC. "ATI is well poised to make a competitive play in all segments with this new product lineup."

"At Autodesk, we're continually striving to meet the needs of our customers, who are being challenged to handle increasingly large and complex scenes. Alongside the tools and architecture that we provide in Autodesk Maya software, our users require graphics hardware that can give them the power to drive these sophisticated and intricate data sets that are becoming the staples of their day-to-day work. The FireGL has all that and more," said Jill Ramsay, Senior Product Manager for Autodesk Maya Software. "With support of the 64-bit OS and now its new Avivo technology, ATI is an important partner that understands the direction that we want to take the industry in and is delivering the kind of experience professional users demand."

ATI's next generation workstation graphics accelerators offer a wide range of memory configurations and processing power depending on the needs of the end-user. The new line of FireGL products also offer the widest cross-platform support, including the upcoming Windows Vista™ operating system, and is optimized for applications based on OpenGL® 2.0 and DirectX® 9, ATI's FireGL products are supported by a unified driver, which is tested and certified by professional 3D ISV partners, ensuring system compatibility and reliability, while simplifying system administration and reducing maintenance costs. All FireGL products come with a three year warranty and direct access to a dedicated workstation technical support team.

The FireGL V3300, FireGL V3400, FireGL V5200 and FireGL V7200 are shipping today, from Workstation System Integrators - Alienware, Amax, Armari, Boxx, Cad2, Colfax, Monarch Computer Systems, Omnitech, Polywell, Safe Harbor, Systemax, Polywell, Velocity Micro, Voodoo PC, Xi Computer and 3dshop.com - from distributors - ASK, D&H, Exxact, Elsa Asia, Ingram Micro, JB&A, Man & Machine, Noesse Daten Technik GmbH, Schneider Digital, Synnex and Tech Data - and Value Added Resellers.
For more information about ATI's FireGL products, please visit www.ati.com/FireGL (http://www.ati.com/FireGL).

About ATI Technologies
ATI Technologies Inc. is a world leader in the design and manufacture of innovative 3D graphics, PC platform technologies and digital media silicon solutions. An industry pioneer since 1985, ATI is the world's foremost graphics processor unit (GPU) provider and is dedicated to deliver leading-edge performance solutions for the full range of PC and Mac desktop and notebook platforms, workstation, set-top and digital television, game console and handheld device markets. With fiscal 2005 revenues of US $2.22 billion, ATI has more than 3,400 employees in the Americas, Europe and Asia. ATI common shares trade on NASDAQ (ATYT) and the Toronto Stock Exchange (ATY).

private
06-02-2006, 02:05 PM
If they would provide better drivers for their products, there's no reason they couldn't be equal to nVidia. Until then, regardless of their innovations, they will be #2. I hoping this is the start of something good!

kierrato
06-02-2006, 02:34 PM
If they would provide better drivers for their products, there's no reason they couldn't be equal to nVidia. Until then, regardless of their innovations, they will be #2. I hoping this is the start of something good!

Oh my god, what have you done !

*runs off inside a fireproof bunker*

schuubars
06-02-2006, 02:44 PM
Their FireGL Drivers are not the same as the catalyst, i had a FGLX2 and it was damn fast in XSI, but sure improvements are alway possible, i would never buy a NVidia card anymore, but thats just personal preferences and experience, nothing more. ;)

Buexe
06-03-2006, 11:35 AM

I can second that. OpenGL is not their territory and all FireGLs I have seen so far really sucked performance and display quality wise. Maybe they take the professional cg needs more seriously now that 3dlabs stepped out of this arena and don´t want to leave it empty for Nvidia. Anyway, I will not buy one anytime soon mainly because I don`t need a billion colors ;) .
my 2 cent

Lone Deranger
06-03-2006, 02:06 PM
Hm... I sure wouldn't mind a setup capable of displaying full 16bit (or even 10-bit cineons) without the signal being quantisized down by graphics card and/or display. Down with colour banding! :)

Anyway, I will not buy one anytime soon mainly because I don`t need a billion colors ;) .
my 2 cent

CGmonkey
06-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Yuck! No more ATi for me. They need to shake their own foundation for me to buy an ATi card ever again.

macsupremacist
06-04-2006, 05:20 AM
Wish they would add some mac support for these. Having more pro options than just the Quadro FX 4500 would be cool.

Apoclypse
06-04-2006, 11:22 PM
Better opengl drivers here means better opengl drivers for linuxx as the same core for both platforms is used (linux uses a kernel warpper, not the best solution but nVidia does the same yet their performance doesn't suck , so the only excuse has to be their opengl drivers).

Szos
06-04-2006, 11:47 PM
Are they implementing any kind of software that lets you use the GPU to render?!?

If not, no thanks. :yawn:

Here is a tip to the videocard makers: STOP with all the non-stop feature-itis that you guys are piling onto your chips (the equivalent of bloatware in the software world). 90% of these "awazing" features never seem to every be used, simpply because there isn't a standard for software makers to take advantage of them. Sure your tech-demos might look amazing, but if a feature isn't part of either OGL or D3D no one is going to write code for it.

BillSpradlin
06-05-2006, 01:54 AM
Personally, I'll never buy an FireGL product again after the horrendous headache I had with their FireGL X2 and the "high-end" FireGL customer support team of ATI. Worst CS I've ever encountered.

goldenarm
06-05-2006, 03:07 AM
Personally, I'll never buy an FireGL product again after the horrendous headache I had with their FireGL X2 and the "high-end" FireGL customer support team of ATI. Worst CS I've ever encountered.

We had those for awhile too, what a headache. It would be very very hard to convince me to go ATI ever again after having that card.

albedo4800hp
06-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Are they implementing any kind of software that lets you use the GPU to render?!?

If not, no thanks. :yawn:

Here is a tip to the videocard makers: STOP with all the non-stop feature-itis that you guys are piling onto your chips (the equivalent of bloatware in the software world). 90% of these "awazing" features never seem to every be used, simpply because there isn't a standard for software makers to take advantage of them. Sure your tech-demos might look amazing, but if a feature isn't part of either OGL or D3D no one is going to write code for it.

Check your sources the D3D standard contains every feature ATi offers. I wouldn't be sure about OGL though. The OGL standarization process is way too slow you will always see vendor specific extensions there. But in the last three years D3D spec was always ahead of GPU features. And I think with D3D10 it will be continuing to be ahead for a while.

CGTalk Moderation
06-05-2006, 10:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.