PDA

View Full Version : Rise of Legends cinematic from Blur Studio

PaulHellard
06-02-2006, 10:11 AM
Just finished an interview with Dave Wilson and the team at Blur Studio.
Another Spectacular game cinematic from the team that don't know when to stop.

http://features.cgsociety.org//images/plugs/feature/rise_legends_plug.jpg
(http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=3597)
Click the image to go to the story at CGSociety.

varunbondwal
06-02-2006, 10:20 AM
cool!! he looks fresh from the battlefield

jonone
06-02-2006, 10:30 AM
crazy!
great job again from blur.

ChewyPixels
06-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Fabulous work!

You guys and gals are having way too much fun over there at Blur. I'm jealous.

JSlotosch
06-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Wow, fantastic work!
Nice design.
Greeting,
JOsef

Johny
06-02-2006, 11:03 AM
one of my favorite character design so far...speechless...CONGRATS!

HellBoy
06-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Now thats awesome

Staszek
06-02-2006, 11:16 AM
wooow!grate article!! Big project! greate project! Greate artists! : )

cabotinecco
06-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Oh my god~~it's so great~~I'm so exciting~~:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

s-rajesh78
06-02-2006, 11:27 AM
Wow Cool, but I cant see the video , cuz my office servers doesn't allow .mov file format download. Is there any Zip format, or Wmv format to see this Video. can anybody post a link.

azazel
06-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Is there any chance of higher res, less compressed version ? It's so sweet it deserves bigger picture ;) :thumbsup:

Grayscale
06-02-2006, 12:32 PM
Kudos to all that worked on that. It's a great inspiration at 7am to check that out and then go into work :)

Spectacular job and congrats to the artists that worked on this.

collings
06-02-2006, 12:33 PM
Awesome cinematic once again!
I dig the main character, congratz Blur's guys.

DDS
06-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Although it was awesome, I thought that animations and facial expressions were poor for being Blur's.

rcronin
06-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Although it was awesome, I thought that animations and facial expressions were poor for being Blur's.

check out the facial stuff in this one (especially where the main guy almost dies)

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2210

MasterZap
06-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Ah, Dylan Cole mattes.

Even if I hadn't seen one of them already, the style is unmistakeable.

/Z

RockinAkin
06-02-2006, 03:18 PM
Wow... that was among the best cinematic's I've seen lately. :eek:
Congrats to everyone at Blur who worked on it... keep it up!

lildragon
06-02-2006, 04:25 PM
This is some stellar work yet again! Love the design, animation e.t.c , BUT something about it just didn't pull me into the battle, maybe it was a combination of the almost static camera angles, or the anti climatic music but it just didn't "pull" me in like Hellgate did. It almost feels like there's a dude on the battlefield with a camcorder filming the events. I got no emotion and I felt very disjointed from the battle. It's very pretty to look at tho :)

Anyhoo, great job to those involved.

kage-maru
06-02-2006, 04:33 PM
That is absolutely insane.
But I quote who said that it deserve a more powerful soundtrack.

Great job anyway :D

Artbot
06-02-2006, 05:08 PM
This is some stellar work yet again! Love the design, animation e.t.c , BUT something about it just didn't pull me into the battle, maybe it was a combination of the almost static camera angles, or the anti climatic music but it just didn't "pull" me in like Hellgate did. It almost feels like there's a dude on the battlefield with a camcorder filming the events. I got no emotion and I felt very disjointed from the battle. It's very pretty to look at tho :)

Anyhoo, great job to those involved.

I had much the same reaction. I think the reason it didn't completely draw me in is the sound design. The music is too much in the foreground and all the incidental battle noises are minimized. The battles look huge, but don't sound huge.

Still, amazing set-ups, animation, and fx from the Blur folks.

RobertoOrtiz
06-02-2006, 08:08 PM
I love the use of Davincis War Machines on the trailer.
This is an AWESOME idea.

-R

harmonic01
06-02-2006, 08:16 PM
Shweeet, inspirational stuff as always. :D Love Blur stuff. :bounce:

JWRodegher
06-02-2006, 08:19 PM
I totally loved the Davinci machines too. I think that old fashioned tech looks incredible in epic battles.

I have to agree maybe with the lack of "emotion", but maybe that's just me. Congratulation to everyone involved. Blur seems to be unable to stop producing outstanding cinematics!

Geta-Ve
06-02-2006, 08:28 PM
That was incredible! I love the interviews cgs does, the only thing I wish is that there was more concept stuff. Also higher res pictures would be great.

hkbasravi
06-02-2006, 08:52 PM
Awesome stuff.

The anti-climactic music, however, didn't set the mood well. There are a few moments where I think the ethos of this potentially great storyline could have been driven home by better musical composition.

Basically, we have this hero sitting inside a robot who tells every other human on the battlefield to get inside the city. The city is being invaded by alien beasts with scimitars (evil guys always have scimitars, have you noticed?).

The hero fights by himself, losing his also heroic companion (who is a cyborg) to a giant scorpion. I personally think that it would have been more moving if the heroic first casualty was a human, but friendly looking cyborg is ok too.

Hero is obviously outnumbered and reaches a narrow bridge. Apparently, the only bridge that's leading into the city. Now this I thought was a totally cool concept. Hero decides quick that his own life can be sacrificed for the safety of the city, and he blows himself up along with the bridge, causing evil scimitar-wielding beasts to fall into the valley below.

And a Legend is Born...

The storyline is great, simple, and deep. But I felt that it was hidden amidst a "Blur" of heavy action and weak musical score. I had to watch it twice to really get a feel for what was going on.

All in all, I think it performed its task of raising interest in the game. Although I hope the game has better music.

ts-falcon
06-02-2006, 09:51 PM
wow this was pretty damn cool, but then again its blur so there is no contest. love the rock explosions when the golems get hit, very ncie effects, would love to see a video of the making of for one of these thatd be so awesome and helpful.

Strang
06-02-2006, 10:11 PM
the skin on the main character looked great. awesome design. great animation. but
the sound fx weren't loud enough or present. i think that is the reason it didn't drag me in as far as i would hoped

neonneo
06-03-2006, 12:42 AM
blur soo sweet, blur blur blur :D

Pinoy McGee
06-03-2006, 02:22 AM
Meanwhile...tacked at the very end of the article:

http://features.cgsociety.org/stories/2006_06/rise_legends/ttl_blur.jpg is switching over to XSI for rigging and animation
at the moment. This yearís short film, "A Gentleman's Duel", is actually Blurís first project being fully animated in XSI and so far everything seems to be working great. They're still modeling, lighting and rendering in Max but just using XSI for animation.

Quite a departure I'd say, if you've been following the studio's work over the years.

monovich
06-03-2006, 02:51 AM
I don't know, this was of course really nice and an amazing piece of work, but I don't think it was as good as other work Blur has done, like Hellgate and the short films they've done. I thought the music was mediocre and I think that compromised the experience somewhat. I like the designs of the mechs and tech a lot, but the main bad guy was very lifeless and puppetlike, not to mention bland in his design. The rest of the baddies were nicely done, but everything in this genre is starting to blend together to me; orcs, dragons, bugs. It just isn't a very fresh theme.

Ugh. I don't want to be too down on it because it is a very big piece of animation and a lot of creativity shows through, but it just seems to not go that last 10% to being really great. Maybe I'm expecting more because it's Blur, and their work is so great overall?

just my 2 cents. I couldn't even begin to do something like this.

I'm really looking forward to that next short!

jfalconer
06-03-2006, 06:15 AM
Beautiful, but I think they'd capture the JRPG fans too if he wasn't sporting that helmet and goatee... Anyway, looks sweet!

GoranNF
06-03-2006, 06:15 AM
Wow,visually it's so appealing.And a great article,thanx.

Tad
06-03-2006, 09:42 AM
fan-fukin-tastic guys!

honestly, one of the best cinematics i've seen in quite some time.

Aside from the incredible ammount of detail put into this,
the whole thing is uber cool, without being so corny that it becomes stupid!

akin
06-03-2006, 10:52 AM
superb n cool

Cityboy
06-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Blur Studios is just SICK. They have the best work in the industry. I would love to see a full feature film from this company.

D-E-A-N
06-03-2006, 02:44 PM
great work! :)

Dan Wade
06-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Agree with what most of the guys here have said. Im really curious how the Rockfish feature will turn out. If they have alot more time and resources on hand, how far will Blur take the project.

Darktwin
06-03-2006, 09:41 PM
Just simply badass, Blur, you did it again, great job

atd
06-04-2006, 07:05 AM
Congratulation for Blur Studios for this new cinematic, and I agree with music comentsssss, but my concern is other. Why if in every year Blur had worked so much now with max this changing to XSI for character animation.

What has XSI that MAX doesn't have??

ATD

Buexe
06-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Wow, great cinematic and it took them only 143 minutes to render 207000 frames! :applause: :applause: :applause:
!

lildragon
06-04-2006, 11:07 AM
What has XSI that MAX doesn't have??

ATD

Please, PLEASE don't open that can of worms. http://www.thechaosengine.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_deadhorse.gif

Peeps nothing to see here move along!

MOringZZ
06-04-2006, 11:53 AM
he looks fresh from the battlefield

eddieellis
06-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Blur Rules and they alwas will, i cant wait until i get a job there

AdrianWilliams
06-05-2006, 02:56 AM
Awesome Animation, donno if its just me but som of the animation didnt quite look right compaired to the other animations Blur has done. but it might just be me - Been a big fave for some time now!

And yeah i dont get the Max to XSI thingy either.....

JMcWilliams
06-05-2006, 03:08 AM
And yeah i dont get the Max to XSI thingy either.....

My guess is that it has something to do with the face robot tools.

Zephyrpower
06-05-2006, 03:59 AM
Wow! That looks pretty damn sweet! I think I'll be getting that when it comes out, and I'm not even a fan of the "rise of" games that much. Usually I just Blizzard's RTS!

Tim Miller
06-05-2006, 05:07 PM
My guess is that it has something to do with the face robot tools.

Actually Face Robot wasn't used in this project. We only use it if we have a a fair amount of dialog or need a wide range of facial expressions. If it's just a grimace of pain here or there or an intense look or something morph targets are easier than spending a day in Face Robot to set it up. The tiny bit of dialog was from far away...so that too we just squeaked by with morph targets.

That being said I'm not sure what felt "off" about the animation....you'd have to be more specific. Personally I thought the animation looked great--especially that Rukh shot (dragons). I think the fact that there wasn't MORE dialog or somekind of verbal exchange between the two enemies made it feel a bit too "sterile". I wish we'd added a bit more "drama" to the big standoff. Live and learn. :wise:

Tim Miller
06-05-2006, 05:23 PM
[QUOTE=Artbot]I had much the same reaction. I think the reason it didn't completely draw me in is the sound design. The music is too much in the foreground and all the incidental battle noises are minimized. The battles look huge, but don't sound huge.

Lots of folks commenting on the sound and music on this piece! That great....it's usually a "second thought" to most folks but here at blur we think it's REALLY important.

So for the record let me say that we didn't deal with or give comments on the score or sound design for this piece. And we too wished it had turned out a bit richer. We always offer to handle sound and music--we work with several awesome sound studios and a couple of great composers--and we don't mark those costs up or even charge for OUR time supervising it. We just like to handle it so we can help make sure it's good. (not saying that it doesn't often end up great when we DON'T handle it.....because it often does!)

This time the decision was made to take it elsewhere for some reason. I can't remember why.....but the client handled it. We really would have liked to help. Other than that it was a near perfect experience--I LOVE those guys at Big Huge Games.....and the game is BEAUTIFUL. :applause:

Tim
blur

JMcWilliams
06-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Actually Face Robot wasn't used in this project. We only use it if we have a a fair amount of dialog or need a wide range of facial expressions. If it's just a grimace of pain here or there or an intense look or something morph targets are easier than spending a day in Face Robot to set it up.

Fair enough. Makes sense. :thumbsup:

atd
06-05-2006, 06:39 PM
Wow Tim like I seed this is a wonderfull peace of cinematic, but I continuos with my pain with the migration from MAX to XSI. I always stand a MAX Flag in front of MAYA user with your Blur rock animations made in MAX.

Tim what happeing inside blur?? , what have XSI better ??, is this a question for a new post??

Any answer??

ATD

KingMob
06-05-2006, 09:40 PM
...Tim what happeing inside blur?? , what have XSI better ??, is this a question for a new post??

Any answer??

ATD

This is a question for no post. We do not want any threads about which app is better, every app has strengths and weaknesses, and we at Blur are still using max for rendering, modeling texturing etc.

Dan Wade
06-06-2006, 12:12 AM
Great peice guys.
I was just wondering, on the lighting front....were there any hurdles on this project, more so than any other of your projects? Are you using GI for all your shots?

Not sure if you can say, but i was wondering if you will be using your current pipeline for the upcoming Rockfish feature? I mean the tools and methods you have are obviously working, i was just curious if you were going to do anything very different.

Thanx,
Dan.

3mm
06-06-2006, 07:41 AM
wow ,one of the best cinematic of Blur.:)

i especially love the Vinci hero.who was modeled and textured this character at Blur?

Congregation to all blur folk ,esp Dave Wilson and crew at Blur.:thumbsup:

pemy
06-06-2006, 02:04 PM
impressive guys!!!

WOWW!!

Daniele

tomUK
06-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Great peice guys.
I was just wondering, on the lighting front....were there any hurdles on this project, more so than any other of your projects? Are you using GI for all your shots?

Not sure if you can say, but i was wondering if you will be using your current pipeline for the upcoming Rockfish feature? I mean the tools and methods you have are obviously working, i was just curious if you were going to do anything very different.

Thanx,
Dan.

To add my two cents here,

Doing cinematics is a totally different animal then doing a full lengt feature film in CG. A pipeline that works great for cinematics doesn't necessarily work for a feature film. I hope that the guys at Blur work hard to prepare a solid pipeline to get something as big as a feature film done.

Tom

harmonic01
06-07-2006, 01:32 AM

Doing cinematics is a totally different animal then doing a full lengt feature film in CG. A pipeline that works great for cinematics doesn't necessarily work for a feature film. I hope that the guys at Blur work hard to prepare a solid pipeline to get something as big as a feature film done.

Tom

I wouldn't worry too much about that. :) I totally believe Blur can do it.

I wonder if Blur planning to ramp up on animators to do a feature. :wavey:

atd
06-07-2006, 04:32 AM
This is a question for no post. We do not want any threads about which app is better, every app has strengths and weaknesses, and we at Blur are still using max for rendering, modeling texturing etc.

Well is always good to hear the Blur voices talk about the topic and mainly if they are patternmakers of the forum, but and unintentionally to hurt fellings. I think that this it is a forum free of expression, in which one can say his restlessness. For my like I suppose that Blur stops it should be important a desition like they change MAX for XSI when encouraging, I work MAX and I have seen as XSI this catching every time but it forces and of there my question comes.
I' know that each program has its virtues and defects but I as user I worry and thats why my questions.

Now another spicy question, Why Blur change for XSI instead of MAYA??!! for character animation, single curiosity.

Sl2s
ATD

MrPositive
06-07-2006, 06:32 AM
Totally freakin sick and inventive. I haven't read a lick of the thread but my only beef would be the sound which just didn't have the same thunder the visuals provided. Still this is such an amazing piece of work. Bravo.

ThirdEye
06-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Wow Tim like I seed this is a wonderfull peace of cinematic, but I continuos with my pain with the migration from MAX to XSI. I always stand a MAX Flag in front of MAYA user with your Blur rock animations made in MAX.

Tim what happeing inside blur?? , what have XSI better ??, is this a question for a new post??

Any answer??

ATD

Stop crying man, they're just tools; whatever gets the job done in less time wins the battle.

Tim Miller
06-07-2006, 06:08 PM

Tom

Of course. We've been working on our pipeline for YEARS now getting prepped. However ALL of tools help us doing short form too. It's always been a mandate that we never "throw out the baby with the bathwater". Our pipeline will never get so cumbersome that we can't do "turn and burn" type of projects alongside any future feature films--I've seen too much of how SLOW things are at the big studios to let that happen here. We have an awesome pipeline team here writing tools....we'll have the organization AND the speed when we the time comes--Don't worry about that! We're not naive enough to assume we could jump from 2 minutes to 90 without adjusting organizationally speaking. We HAVE done longer stuff too....40 minutes for Disney year before last and we kicked ASS in terms of organization and throughput. And it looked good too. :)

CGTalk Moderation
06-07-2006, 06:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.