PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 8.5 unstable on a Mac

acjwalker
06-02-2006, 07:47 AM
Anyone found the lightwave 8.5 is really unstable on a mac. Its always just crashin on me and my colleague. We have g5's so have the power its just bloody annoying.

biliousfrog
06-02-2006, 09:22 AM
it's not just macs....8.5 is the most buggy version of lightwave I've used & it's annoyed the hell out of me ever since it was released because Newtek haven't supported it. I got the impression that they thought, "we've been promising a 64bit version for ages, other 3d apps are beating us to it, 8.3 is a bit buggy, lets just give 'em something to shut 'em up & move on to v.9"

PixelInfected
06-02-2006, 12:09 PM
under mac you must check some little annoying things:
- check permittion of folder of lw and folder where it save config file, if you install like other user or admin and you work like simple user that cause ig problems.
- clear all plugins, reload it with exception of legacy folder, that you need it only if you load scenes build with 5.6 version
- check your firewall that not fight with hub, eventually try to edit cmdline of modeler and layout, add "-0" that cause not using of hub, that increment a lot stability if you have problem about tcp/ip and firewall
- verify to have last update of system and last update of firmware of g5 and graphics card.
- defrag your disk, you don't imagine how many problems born from frammented disk
- good luck

biliousfrog
06-02-2006, 04:03 PM
just remembered something.....remove itunes!

not only is it rubbish but there's a known compatability issue with it & Lightwave 8+. Unfortunately Apple has decided that you MUST have it if you want quicktime but we've managed to either uninstall or remove it whilst keeping quicktime.

plotz
06-02-2006, 05:32 PM
...but there's a known compatability issue with it & Lightwave 8+.

Are you talking about PC or Mac here? I'm on Mac and iTunes is always in the background...I've never had a problem.

I think a key to getting 8.5 stable on the mac is to re-direct your config files into a directory other than the system folder. I put mine in the same directory as the programs and plugins folders and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

biliousfrog
06-05-2006, 08:38 AM
I believe that it's an issue on both but if it's working ok for you, great....it's just one of those things that was discovered shortly after Apple decided to bundle itunes with quicktime & seemed to create a lot of instability problems with Lightwave, no idea why...I'm sure a search on here or Newtek's forums will throw up some more info.

Bonzodogboy
06-06-2006, 01:04 AM
Are you talking about PC or Mac here? I'm on Mac and iTunes is always in the background...I've never had a problem.
Same here.
I run itunes on my mac here at work, and i have no trouble with LW 8.5 and itunes running together.
I do have trouble with itunes on my PC at home... it is a dog to run, and is just a horrible application on that machine.
But on a mac itunes is great.
And in regards to LW 8.5 being unstable... I find it that if it does crash it usually has something to do with multithreading or a plugin, change the setting or remove the plug and the crash goes away.

Machine Model: Power Mac G5
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 2.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 2.5 GB

BeeVee
06-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Hmm, I've not had problems with iTunes on the four machines I use all the time here at work, nor on my laptop or home machine, but as always YMMV... If you are after Quicktime without iTunes, it's always been possible on the Quicktime site, you just need to look for Quicktime standalone installer (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html)

For me 8.5 is one of the most stable releases of LightWave ever (beaten by 5.6), but I guess you would expect me to say that... be advised that I've been using LightWave since version 2, and had my own copy at 3.1 with the IML "dongle"...

That said, LightWave 9 is shaping up to be even better in soooo many respects.

B

CGTalk Moderation
06-06-2006, 09:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.