PDA

View Full Version : T-Rex Animation

derkoi
06-02-2006, 07:32 AM
Hi, i'm busy making FX tests for an upcoming short film. I used the 'Dons dino' scene in Messiah and textured the dino in Lightwave and photoshop and composited it in After effects.

The footage was shot using my Canon XL1.

Any comments/crits welcome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWeq9sVpXms

derkoi
06-03-2006, 05:19 PM
Any feedback please?

bRuNuShky
06-03-2006, 11:59 PM
I like the dinosaur texture ...you cant see the all dinosaur in the frame but the part that is showed in the video looks fine... may be you have to fix some things the dinosaur is overlaping your head and this look strange...

and tweak a little the color correction...well that is my opinion ..but I like it ...ell keep em updated with this.. good luck Mushiman

Scott Harris
06-04-2006, 06:24 PM
Oooo... I don't want to be a stickler... but can't resist to comment on t-rex motion

The animation looks great! Really good
...Itís just that Iíve done a lot of study for dinosaur motion (t-rex especially)

So technically, (I'm a nerd and have to say) t-rex would never have his legs as crouched as you have them in your other youtube clip. It looks good... just depends on if your going for accurate or cool looking. But it looks really good I think!

http://www.apple.com/pro/video/naturalhistory/
http://www.apple.com/pro/video/naturalhistory/video3.html

derkoi
06-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Thanks guys,

Scott, can i ask you a question? Is there an animal i can study video of, simlar to the T-rex in terms of motion, or should i just keep watching the Jurrasic Park movies?

Cheers

bobzilla
06-04-2006, 07:10 PM
Yeah, I think it looks like it's taking big "monster steps" as it walks. Needs to look more natual. Maybe lead with nthe hips a little first.

Lift up the leg/foot slower than the foot goes down.

Scott Harris
06-04-2006, 07:19 PM
For accuracy... please do not watch JP (hee hee)
They took the liberty of over over exadurating everything. (I say this with respect, knowing that their animation is better than mine ever could be)

Actually... for our exhibit I was told to study BIRDS for foot movement (mostly oustrages and turkeys) T-rex curled his feet up as he lifted them from the ground. This is considered a scientific fact learned from fossil evidence.

And we also studied elephants, just because of their sheer size. (Could you imagine a elephant running at 45 miles per hour? no... and neither could a t-rex) t-rex would never get past 15mph.

***now go post about my rat eating a snake! It needs SOOO much work and crit!

bobzilla
06-04-2006, 07:31 PM
For accuracy... please do not watch JP (hee hee)
They took the liberty of over over exadurating everything. (I say this with respect, knowing that their animation is better than mine ever could be)

Actually... for our exhibit I was told to study BIRDS for foot movement (mostly oustrages and turkeys) T-rex curled his feet up as he lifted them from the ground. This is considered a scientific fact learned from fossil evidence.

And we also studied elephants, just because of their sheer size. (Could you imagine a elephant running at 45 miles per hour? no... and neither could a t-rex) t-rex would never get past 15mph.

***now go post about my rat eating a snake! It needs SOOO much work and crit!

Scott...

Saw the exhibit last summer (I think) very nice. Lots of cool stuff...

When you say T-rex curled it's feet'toes when it lifted its feet, did they actually curl, or fold down where the toe meets the foot. I've watched geese alot in the park (for dino reference!) and they seem to fold toes in and down, not necesatily curl.

Scott Harris
06-04-2006, 07:39 PM
yeah... maybe fold in and down is a better term.

either way, the biggest thing I learned while working on the dinos exhibit was that the t-rex was a real animal... just like real animals today. And they acted a lot like other animals we can watch right now. They were not stomping, jaw open, lizard monsters.

PS. bobzilla nice to see you again.
thanks for seeing the show! I hope you liked it!

you should have sent me a PM letting me know you were going to be around.

bernoccoli
06-06-2006, 11:07 AM
maybe you just want comments about animation.. maybe not.. i really like the rendering itself and trex moves correctly but compositing its quite incoherent.. i mean, lighting doesn`t match the scene. good tracking, but those full-black self shadows are ugly, use some green point rim light to simulate grass` color bleeding or, better, try hdriing the t rex, or final gathering it with an envball of the setting. (take a look at the foot of the beast laying on the grass).

derkoi
06-06-2006, 06:25 PM
maybe you just want comments about animation.. maybe not.. i really like the rendering itself and trex moves correctly but compositing its quite incoherent.. i mean, lighting doesn`t match the scene. good tracking, but those full-black self shadows are ugly, use some green point rim light to simulate grass` color bleeding or, better, try hdriing the t rex, or final gathering it with an envball of the setting. (take a look at the foot of the beast laying on the grass).

Hi, the T-rex is renderered using radiosity, using a HDRI lightprobe of the scene that i shot using a Nikon D50 in raw mode. Also as this was a test i didnt bother with the shadows on the ground.

Thanks for the tips though, it all helps me.

Nintendians
05-11-2007, 07:06 PM
your that guy, cool and i have one of you video as my fav. in youtube, nice work.

derkoi
05-12-2007, 11:42 AM
your that guy, cool and i have one of you video as my fav. in youtube, nice work.

Haha! Nice one dude, glad you like the work.

SittingDucky
05-12-2007, 12:15 PM
hi, i think it looks really good, but you need some secondary motion jiggling on his neck skin and leg muscles..dinos really come to life then :) i guess that shouldnt be a problem since you use messiah..cheers

derkoi
05-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Hi,

Cheers for the reply, but this project was completed last year, it was an old topic recently dug up!

SittingDucky
05-12-2007, 02:33 PM
oh, right! : ))) i see now, well i guess you've put some jiggling anyway :D

derkoi
05-12-2007, 05:59 PM
If you're intrested, you can check the finished film here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5UQsxfmKug)

It came out great, given my limited skills, i know there are lots to be improved but the client was very impressed. :D

Nintendians
05-12-2007, 08:16 PM
cool Mushiman, i'm watching it and i hope to see more of it.

Nintendians
05-13-2007, 12:40 AM
there's something wrong in your movie, the t-rex have no tongue.

SittingDucky
05-13-2007, 02:11 AM
hahah funny video :). and rex came out fine..i was a little annoyed by the same jp rex sound over and over : )) but thats ok

chrishaighcomposer
05-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Great vid very clever and a message!!! lol
is there a reason the T-rex has no tongue.

very good stuff, congrats

Chris Haigh

cgluca
05-26-2007, 10:21 AM
Hi man,
your Trex animation is great !!!
I would like to ask you if it is possible to have the model and try to animate myself too, it was been my dream animate a trex like jurassic park.
Please let me know and answer me on my private email : cgluca@libero.it (http://forums.cgsociety.org/cgluca@libero.it)
Thanks man

Gianluca Fratellini
www.cgluca.it (http://www.cgluca.it)

CGTalk Moderation
05-26-2007, 10:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.