PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2: Episode 1 out today!

Digit
06-02-2006, 06:08 AM
Haven't played it yet but looking forward to it this weekend: http://ep1.half-life2.com/

heavyness
06-02-2006, 06:18 AM
i pre-loaded it and ready to play. waiting for the weekend to sit down and play it.

can't wait.

leuey
06-02-2006, 07:22 AM
I started playing today. The art direction and lighting (in particular) of this game is fantastic - it's a cool game too (so far). IMO the best NPC ever created (Alyx). But since this is CGTalk I have to give my props to the artists. Just a stunning job.

-Greg

RockinAkin
06-02-2006, 08:10 AM
Checked it out this evening - Amazing art direction over there at Valve.
The game looks spectacular. Congrats to everyone who worked on it. :thumbsup:

Seven
06-02-2006, 09:13 AM
Yeah congratulations to everyone at Valve... this really has to be the best first person experience ive ever had. Its truely marvelous! The 'cutscenes', character work, and supprises are so far ahead of anything else out there its scarey.

I also downloaded the Sin episode a few weeks ago when that was released, you just cant compare the two. Episode 1 is about a million times better in almost every aspect, its shocked really.

Cant wait to get home from work today to play some more.. coommmee on! :)

DimitrisLiatsos
06-02-2006, 09:48 AM
Playing it!!! ..weeeeeee...it's awesome.

Gehof
06-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Lots of complaints around about its length, but it took me a good 5-1/2, 6 hours to finish and I loved every second of it. Episode 1 is one of the most perfectly crafted first-person shooters I've ever played, and Valve deserves all the credit in the world for creating such an unbelievably brilliant experience.

daart
06-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Some screens:

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/7793/ep1c1702a00093ww.jpg
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/6424/ep1c1702a00111bm.jpg
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8914/capture010620061913426ob.jpg
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/8232/capture010620061920292fx.jpg
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/3292/capture010620061930248qp.jpg
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1496/capture010620061941021iu.jpg
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/226/capture010620061946492af.jpg
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/3213/capture010620062000439xn.jpg
http://666kb.com/i/ael7qnnrn4ckz1fp0.jpg

Icarus
06-02-2006, 01:17 PM
im looking foward to purchasing this, really loved the first HL2, hopefully its just as good,

Any mention or sight of ZEN?

DarkTure
06-02-2006, 01:25 PM
Looking forward until I've got time to play it :)

tciny
06-02-2006, 03:10 PM
It seems really promising and I'd really like to play it, but as long as valve decides to shove steam down their customers throats I dont see me buyingany of their products.
If it wasnt about data harvesting, they could just as well realease a non-steam version. I just hope they'll stay the only ones to adopt such a model. If Microsoft or Sony would propose something like this people would be outraged, but for Valve it seems like thats ok...

CupOWonton
06-02-2006, 04:15 PM
Is it actualy a FULL game?
I bought Sin Episodes : Emergence, and that thing was short as heck.

Digit
06-02-2006, 04:32 PM
It seems really promising and I'd really like to play it, but as long as valve decides to shove steam down their customers throats I dont see me buyingany of their products.
If it wasnt about data harvesting, they could just as well realease a non-steam version. I just hope they'll stay the only ones to adopt such a model. If Microsoft or Sony would propose something like this people would be outraged, but for Valve it seems like thats ok...

Have to agree. I like the principle of it but in practise it just annoys the hell out of me, especially with my flaky internet connection. Once I have bought the game I should just be able to play it. If it was any other game, I wouldnt go through the hassle...

Dirtystimpy
06-02-2006, 05:17 PM

I think its more about supporting the developer..

I think steam works great, and don't have a single problem with it.

heavyness
06-02-2006, 05:37 PM

can you explain how steam is a bad? i love that fact i can purchase new games off of it and it keep everything up to date. data harvesting as in they know the specs of your system? oh no, people know i have 2 gigs of memory! i'm outraged!.... and just to let you know, Microsoft has something like this, its called Xbox Live. it keeps track of all games, keep them up to date, and allows you to dl and purchase game online.

mech7
06-02-2006, 05:43 PM
Is the story a bit better then HL 2.. as the graphics kick ass.. gameplay kinda repeative but fun... but the story kinda sucked

Lunatique
06-02-2006, 06:13 PM

It's been said over and over and over by game developers that something like Steam is how the developers are trying to take the power back from publishers, so they no longer have to be bullied by the publishers. We, as gamers, should support the developers as much as we can. Sure Steam isn't perfect--but it's a step in the right direction. It we don't support Steam, then developers will always remain in the clutches of the publishers, and we as gamers will always suffer the consequences of that--and we've seen what publishers has done to our beloved game industry.

Digit
06-02-2006, 06:22 PM
can you explain how steam is a bad?

Im not saying its bad but its a problem for me for a couple of reasons. Before writing this I switched on the PC on which half life is installed. As usual, that pc has a problem connecting to the internet so when I try to run Episode 1, steam kicks in, tries to connect to the internet, fails to connect, starts complaining about this and that and generally being a pain. Eventually after ten mins the PC connects and I can play.

I havent really started with the game yet, but the two times Ive booted it up its had to run through the decyption process each time too.

I would argue that once I have bought the game through steam and and its done its decyption routine once, then I shouldnt need an internet connection to play.

(by the way, i dont know whats wrong with my PC. It connects to the modem but doesnt want to see the web. The other computers at home all connect fine through the same network)

R10k
06-02-2006, 07:05 PM
The idea behind Steam is a good one, it's just that Steam often makes things much harder than they need to be. I mean, do I really need to download all the icons and advertising for every available Steam game before I can enjoy a game?

I've said it before, but I much prefer the way Totalgaming.net handles things.

Lunatique
06-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Then talk to Valve. Send in user's feedback. Help them make it better. All of those are better than just writing it off completely. Any new methods of deliver will face growing pains, and if we don't help them through it, who will?

dax3d
06-02-2006, 07:23 PM
I know Steam can be kind of a pain, but I would rather have people try stuff like that for changing distribution than having....EA....and only EA. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of games put out by EA. But when they buy the rights to whole sports, that gets me nervous. I don't want to have only 1 choice in the future.

tciny
06-02-2006, 07:41 PM
It's been said over and over and over by game developers that something like Steam is how the developers are trying to take the power back from publishers, so they no longer have to be bullied by the publishers. We, as gamers, should support the developers as much as we can. Sure Steam isn't perfect--but it's a step in the right direction. It we don't support Steam, then developers will always remain in the clutches of the publishers, and we as gamers will always suffer the consequences of that--and we've seen what publishers has done to our beloved game industry.Why should I sacrifice my own privacy just so game developers can be more independant of publishers? I'll chose whats the better deal for me, as a customer.
I think you disregard that steam logs what you play, when you play it, with whom you play it etc. etc. If that's not breaking into my private life that I dont know what is. People will tell you it's nessecary to avoid picarcy, but it's really not. HL2 was available as a cracked version and so will any other product released via steam. It's just that this online publishing thing has the nice side effect that you can do a _lot_ of data harvesting without having to itroduce any extra measures that people have to agree to. So, I myself chose to boycott such services... I wish more people would.
If valves intent wasnt to spy on people in order to gather data that can be used for marketing, why do you need an internet connection even if you buy the game in a store and never wish to play online?
This discussion is really about who do you trust to hold so much of your personal information? Dont you mind that valve knows how long you play games a day? If you have steam auto-start it'll even tell them how long your computer is running in general. As steam tells valve when you launch a game and when you quit it they can even tell how much gaming you actually do per hour you're at your computer.
To top it all off, valve even has the right to, at any given time, block your license and make you pay for the game again in order to continue playing it.

Lunatique
06-02-2006, 08:03 PM
tciny - Just curious, what don't you like about Valve knowing your gaming habits? I personally have no negative feelings about them knowing my gaming habits--it only helps them cater to me needs more. It's not like they are looking up my phone number, credit card number, my emails, or anything else that's of vital importance and then selling them off. They also won't be telling your boss or parents or wife how much time you spend playing games a day. ;)

tciny
06-02-2006, 08:34 PM
Why wouldn't you want the city you live in to monitor your habits via security cameras that do facial recognition? It's not like you have anything to hide, do you? It'll help them to make the city more secure after all...
Same goes for google. Why mind them reading your e-mails, storing what you search for, when you search for it, what links you click, what kind of news you read or where you travel to (google maps driving instructions)?
I dont know about you, but I wouldn't want _anyone_ to systematically store data about me.
Who tells me valve isnt selling those informations or that someone hacks their servers and steals the information? Looking at HL2 got leaked it's not really far fetched.

The whole point is that they dont do it to help you. They have interests of their own and it's not like you have any means of removing that information once they have it. The US goverment already forced Yahoo and afaik MSN to reveal information about their customers. Google so far managed to resist, but I dont think they can hold out forver. Looking at how people generally look at games I wouldn't be surprised to hear the argument that "We need to know who's playing those violent games excessively!".
Would you want the goverment to know that you virtually shoot aliens in the head 3 hours a day in the context of people supposedly going running amok after playing games like doom too much?

It's not about some guy at valve knowing that the user with id xxx is playing game x, but about connecting those informations.

daart
06-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Episode Two video (http://gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?fs=1&id=2804) by Valve :)

leuey
06-02-2006, 10:46 PM
Just finished - I loved this game. Valve is just years ahead of the competition putting it all together - gameplay, graphics, sound, physics, animation, facial animation, AI, acting, story arc - it's just fantastic.

Steam is great IMO - i guess it would suck if your internet connection blows. But I don't have that problem. As far getting info from your machine - they do ask you.

tciny....honestly...dude....please.......

-Greg

mv
06-02-2006, 10:55 PM
damn paranoid conspiracy-theorists...

anyway, loading it right now, in the middle of the night(thanks for steam ;) ), can't wait to play!

DimitrisLiatsos
06-02-2006, 11:04 PM
Hhahaha...yeah...relax guys...i think it's a great way as Lunatique mentioned so that good games go away from publishers mambo jambo and come to your machine right form the developer...as far as Steam goes..i really don't understand why all the noise...i can mention a lot apps/sites who are doing that during loading or installing and many of them don't even ask....

Equinoxx
06-02-2006, 11:04 PM
just bought it ... it's installing now :D

I for one really dig things like steam. I wish ALL developers would use a single platform like steam. something like a virtual Games Shop.
BUT ... I do think you should be able to play the games without internet, and the games shouldn't be linked to steam, so if steam doesn't work (no internetconnection for instance) the game should still run ...

I could really care less if all they monitor is my gametimes and what not.

Digit
06-02-2006, 11:23 PM
Episode Two video (http://gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?fs=1&id=2804) by Valve :)

Cool! But when is it gonna be out...

I reckon for this episodic content to work they should be releasing at least 4 a year... what does anyone else think?

Rick Flowers
06-02-2006, 11:29 PM
Why wouldn't you want the city you live in to monitor your habits via security cameras that do facial recognition? It's not like you have anything to hide, do you? It'll help them to make the city more secure after all...
Same goes for google. Why mind them reading your e-mails, storing what you search for, when you search for it, what links you click, what kind of news you read or where you travel to (google maps driving instructions)?
I dont know about you, but I wouldn't want _anyone_ to systematically store data about me.
Who tells me valve isnt selling those informations or that someone hacks their servers and steals the information? Looking at HL2 got leaked it's not really far fetched.

The whole point is that they dont do it to help you. They have interests of their own and it's not like you have any means of removing that information once they have it. The US goverment already forced Yahoo and afaik MSN to reveal information about their customers. Google so far managed to resist, but I dont think they can hold out forver. Looking at how people generally look at games I wouldn't be surprised to hear the argument that "We need to know who's playing those violent games excessively!".
Would you want the goverment to know that you virtually shoot aliens in the head 3 hours a day in the context of people supposedly going running amok after playing games like doom too much?

It's not about some guy at valve knowing that the user with id xxx is playing game x, but about connecting those informations.

Disclaimer: I am a conspiracy theorist myself... to a degree of realism that boils down to limited corruption and money...but...
this by far has got to be the worst and more ignorant post I have seen all year.

Oh yeah and I just played through Ep1 and it was brilliant. Definitely worth my money, even though I beat it in about 4 hours.
Way better than a movie. Replayability? heck yes.

daart
06-03-2006, 12:27 AM
Cool! But when is it gonna be out...

I reckon for this episodic content to work they should be releasing at least 4 a year... what does anyone else think?

IŽve read somewhere that ep 2 should be out by the end of the year.

mmkelly011881
06-03-2006, 12:37 AM
yeaaaah.. im about halfway through ep1 and it's fantastic...

ep2 trailer.. WOW!!!

Carl007
06-03-2006, 01:01 AM
Well, as I avid macuser I for one are very happy for steam... makes me not need IE etc..
And MacBook Pro...

Finally I can play HL2 :-)

switchblade327
06-03-2006, 02:38 AM
Disclaimer: I am a conspiracy theorist myself... to a degree of realism that boils down to limited corruption and money...but...
this by far has got to be the worst and more ignorant post I have seen all year.

I have to kind of agree, not quite so venomous. I'm pretty paranoid myself but in the 21st century, Steam is pretty benign. Stores track your shopping habits, credit card companies track your buying habits, the government may be listening to your phone conversations... My system specs. and gaming habits are bits of information that I could care less who knows.

I'm pretty sure Steam doesn't even sell email addresses (I noticed no change in spam when signing up). Why on earth would the sell game usage statistics to the government or anti-game advocates and shoot their own industry and cashflow in the foot?

Steam has not only given power to the developers but it's also given exposure to indie games that never would've seen the light of EB or Best Buy shelf space, bringing innovative games to consumers and giving creative developers a new reason to actually innovate instead of crank out another publisher-friend license or sequel.

The guy with the crappy connection has a legitimate complaint about Steam, for sure. But missing out on Hl2, Counter-Strike: Source, Day of Defeat, Darwinia and now HL2: Episode 1 because you think Valve's unintelligible radio-chattering secret police are going to raid your house because you like to bean headcrabs with a crowbar!? Your loss, my friend. There are far bigger breaches of your privacy to concern yourself with.

leuey
06-03-2006, 03:19 AM
just to swing around back on topic - what did you guys think of the HDR lighting? I really liked it personally - it would be hard to go back to something without it. For the most part it was pretty subtle.

One are that needs to be improved are the volumetric fx for smoke and dust - I thought COD 2 was pretty good in this area. In HL2 Ep1 you could always see polys edges - kind of took me out of it.

-Greg

JeroenDStout
06-03-2006, 03:22 AM
I really waited a looong time for this game and... graphically, socially (with Alyx) and game-play wise this is just great. I only felt that the 'arch' type of story from HLČ missed; I have 'a purpose' but it never felt to me as 'the purpose'. At any rate;

I can go into the reactor of a hyperadvanced alien race's overruling Citadel -which is more than a mile high and a deadly killing machine- and fix it with a charged up gravity gun... It's a good plot-arch, but technology isn't 'magical' enough for me to suspend my belief that I can fix a unstable core by running around shooting energy bolts. Quite frankly, it'd be harder to fix a nuclear power plant.
I really felt all the goals, purposes and drives were either based on 'need to get away from here' or some other form of unsuspended belief, something I had in Sin: Emergence as well (even though in Sin it was so bad at every plot-event I started moaning out loud).

So, what I'm getting at is... it's great in almost every aspect but the story; and it misses soul. I really never felt soul. Perhaps it's because I write stories, study gamedesign and have a fascination for 'the psyche', but somehow with every 'occurence' I could say: "They make Alyx experience this so that I think..." or "They show me this now because later on they'll get back to me on it". Then later on I listened to the commentairy and I heard they actually in every way made those desisions so I'd behave in those ways, which made me feel even worse about it. I think it was too obvious. I don't expect things that fool me completely (I wish there were, but my tastes are just to elistist-like for that), but Half-LifeČ showed Valve could get me far enough, Episode One kept on the whole "I'm concious that I'm being guided very carefully".

Alyx quite saves the game no matter what I put up against it, but I feel that they either should've taken Alyx' character even further or should've given me better targets.

Gabe Newell is so getting a mail from me. I wonder if he can find it, between the two-and-a-half million other mails he gets after giving his e-mail in the game itself for you to reply to.

Digit
06-03-2006, 03:52 AM
Yes, but its only episode 1 so maybe they will build something more substantial out of it.

So, Jeroen, I would like to hear what games you would say have a story and a soul. In that respect I thought half life 1 was more satisfying than half life 2. The best example I can think of though is Ico, which was really amazing. The Zelda games too could be quite involving. But generally game stories are not really all that important for me.

JeroenDStout
06-03-2006, 04:03 AM
Half-LifeČ itself had plenty of story soul. And really cross-genre, things like Psychonauts, Beyond Good & Evil certainly get to me. I never quite got it with Half Life, really, seeing as it actually was a game 'before my time'.

I don't think a great story is always required. I just really need some suspense to make the game world stay real. When I see why a developer did something, or why something happens to someone, I just loose that. It feels like the game is made to furfill a checklist rather then be something the developer wants to make. Or something in that direction. I never really can define it properly.

Gehof
06-03-2006, 04:30 AM
I know I've basically already said this, but I love this game. I've played through it two and a half times since it came thanks to my (now waning) ability to negate sleep after classes/labs. I love this game...did I mention that? The length to me is perfect, because it feels almost exactly like playing through a movie. Games in the past have felt cinematic, but a short, white-knuckle thrillride crammed with aliens ammo and adrenaline that begins and ends just in the right places with spot on "acting" for Alyx really hit the sweet spot.

Synthesizer
06-03-2006, 08:06 AM
I just bought and finished it today and I loved it! I really can't see why some people are so upset about playing $20 for it, I thought it was definitly worth it. It seems like all the people on Valve's forums can do nothing but be critical of everything they do :sad: I liked the HDR in this better then Lost Coast, it seemed way to saturated there, and it runs faster in EP1 then LC. This is definitly the best looking game out there.

I've never had any problems with Steam. It kind of sucked when I had dial-up and I was trying to update the games, but most finished in an hour or two, and I sometimes downloaded the update at school, backed it up and installed it at home. I think it's great that I can go to any computer in the world with an internet connection, sign into Steam, and have all my games that I've paid for available.

My favorite part was in the hosptial, when everything and everyone is flying around, so many grenades going off and tossing zombies, combines, and zombines around, it was great :D

itsallgoode9
06-03-2006, 08:48 AM
I haven't gotten to play this yet but I plan on picking up soon. I had bought Sin Episodes:Emergence the other day and that was the first I heard about the new half life 2 episode.

I tell ya what man, I'm REALLY diggin' the concept of these shorter episode games like Sin Episodes and Half Life 2: Episodes. Much of the time I get bored with a game after 5 or 6 hours and I end up playing through the rest of the game just to beat it and not nessesarily cause I care what's happening. With these episodes I get just enough to make me want more. It's like in Sin Episodes i'm really excited for the next one to come out so I can see where the story goes.

Anyways, can't wait to pick up the new Half Life

KolbyJukes
06-03-2006, 09:47 AM
started and finished it tonight. Took me 4 hours, and I died a lot of times.

Anyway, it was pretty cool. Some really exciting moments, though some of the puzzles/mechanisms felt way too simple and needlessly repetitive.

The opening scenes with Dog and Alex interacting was great, great acting and some good humour. I hope we see more Dog in the future.

I'd probably pick up the next episode. I really dig this idea of episodic gameplay, opens a lot of interesting doors for developers.

overall, a positive experience. I'd recommend picking it up.
-K.

John-Stetzer
06-03-2006, 10:22 AM
can you explain how steam is a bad?

I don't think the idea of steam is bad, at least as far as buying something; I personally don't like that it forces me to connect to the 'net to play even if I've purchased a boxed game package. I keep my gaming system seperate from my 'net systems; I've no desire to play online against anyone, I can transport patches over manually if need be, and I just want to keep games seperate. Connecting to the 'net even once is too much for me personally in this instance; a bit extreme on my part, perhaps, but there are plenty of other games out there for me to fill the time with, and I doubt Valve is missing my purchase too terribly much ;^).

Icarus
06-03-2006, 01:12 PM
i love how every thread on halflife or anything related to valve ends up being a steam bashing event, ffs ppl.

Im downloading it as we speak, watched the trailer to Ep 2, and im really really hoping they dont mess it up, i loved halflife 2 :D

innermindseye
06-03-2006, 01:47 PM
so let me get this straight, iv got to pay for an extra 5 hours of game play for the same game iv already paid 35 pounds for in the shops and got ripped off for. I didnt get any of the extra steam games that people who purchased online got and i bought it on release day in the shops just because i wanted a box. and i didnt even get a manual. (serves me right for being a fan of the game and buying it a.s.a.p) forget steam. I loved hl2. great game, one of the best. But i dont like valve anymore. thieves. (and i still had to go through a whole days worth of registration to get the bloody thing to work)

ill look at hdr lighting on every game on the 360. itl look better too with no slow down. paying for the same experience is pretty loony. especially when they cant figure out a thick enough story to tell you. ending in hl2 was lame, and im not made out of money.

sirap
06-03-2006, 02:04 PM
At first I was reluctant to buy it, as it costs quite a lot in Malaysia ringgit, but decided to go ahead. Now i'm glad I did ;)

mv
06-03-2006, 09:04 PM
yay, finished it, VERY cool. A bit short indeed (can't wait for ep2 ! ) but it felt like all the scenes were more dense than in hl2. And Alyx was amazing, that's some great acting / animation. Also, now that I've seen quite a few HDR games, I think HL2 has the best implemented one (ironically, it's the hdr system that runs on the lower end cards..and it's quite fast). It's nice to see how they fined tuned the tone mapping in EP1, compared to lost coast where it was a bit overdone; though I would have liked the HDR a bit more present in the dark places.

JacquesD
06-03-2006, 10:15 PM
While I'm downloading the Ep1, I thought I'd try the 'lost coast' one... I start the game, every looks fine and fast and then, after 30 sec... almost when I'm getting close to the gate, my screen goes wild and I get some kind of kaleidoscope effect... I can't get out and have to reboot the PC.

I tried everything they propose on their support forum... change Firewall settings, desactive services and *.ini' files with the 'msconfig', updated with the latest driver, etc.
I asked the question there but I thought I'd ask here as well.

I just hope I'll be able to run Ep1 when the download is done though :sad:

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Jacques.

Rick Flowers
06-03-2006, 10:42 PM
HL2 Ep1= Best FPS experience to date IMO.

Constructive critisim please. E.g. SPOILER AHEAD: the part where you have to keep bringing new "groups of citizens" to the train was really lame. I mean, I got a total of maybe 6. Where is the realism when it comes to scale of characters? Guess we have to wait for HL3.

hmm..Don't ask for tech support here, well, ask, but don't expect answers- go to hlfallout.net or whatever. =)

Apoclypse
06-03-2006, 11:23 PM
dammit, I can't play this cause of the whole motion sicknes thing. I've had the same problem since HL2 andjust can't get over it. It really does make me pretty sick even after I change the fov. Ah well, here's to money well spent.

BTW, I kind of agree with tciny on his views on steam. To call him ignorant because of his beliefs is imo ignorant. In times like these when even the government wants to know everything about you on some semblance of providing safety and words like war and protection gets thrown around like so many aol cds it kind of hard not to think that everything that is gathering information from you is not doing it for the right reasons. I personally do mind that steam is monitoring my gaming habits and how many hours I have my computer on. I also mind that they know what my specs are. Why? With ms talking about drm enabled hardware, and companies now trying to implement drm in their hardware, steam will know if I have a drm enabled device or not. I don't believe in drm or at least not in the way MS and these hardware manufacturers and Hollywood believe in drm. I believe that yes software should be paid for, and that music and movies should be purchased ( though I do believe that alot of these so called artists and actors who do the most complaing are overpaid, and considering Hollywoods track record as of late I believe that they are too). I don;t however want someone else to force me into doing something because some greedy conglamerate wants to protect theri money.

This might be faroff or maybe I AM a little paranoid. However, where does the data mining stop. Where do we draw the line, when it affects us financially (credit cards, ss scams), when it affects our lives ( ID theft) otherwise we don't care. The fact that all this information that we don't care about can easily when combined be used to create a pretty complete profile of you that the government can use to label you as dangerous or not to me is why the little things like steam scare me. On its own its nothing special or malicious, combined with other sources of information it can definately be a threat.

Ubik
06-03-2006, 11:50 PM
Try using Logitech Bucket or Microsoft Intelli Bucket with HL2 ^^

Seriously though, have You tried turning off camera bob, It helped one of my friends with Quake.

John-Stetzer
06-04-2006, 01:15 AM
i love how every thread on halflife or anything related to valve ends up being a steam bashing event...
I wasn't bashing (" I don't think the idea of steam is bad, at least as far as buying something"), just saying that it is something that makes HL2 not worth it to me, esp. w/all the other gaming options out there. If I could buy it from steam and move it to my gaming computer without having to connect to steam again or if I could buy the boxed game and play without connecting to steam, I would. I can't, so it remains unpurchased. Where did I bash?

daart
06-04-2006, 01:44 AM
I finished it too right now and itŽs absolutely great! But to short :hmm:
I think IŽll wait until you get all three parts in a box for a better price.

Kion
06-04-2006, 02:15 AM
I Beat it!!. I like it! I perfer shorter games like this, doesn't take to much time, the gameplay experince was very tight and to the poin! I'll get the next episode at the end of the year ! sweet!

Mysterious X
06-04-2006, 04:10 AM
juuuust finished it...hard difficulty is very challanging..specially the elevator and the mother ant lion chapters...the rest were alright..took around 4 to 5 hours..good play

for some reason I couldn't help noticing that there are no headshots..or very hard to shoot it ? i dont know...and the zombines..tough bastards..

I think that this game forces you to change your play style in a sense that you have to really think and plan your moves and choose your weapons carefully...and what I didn't like in the game is the lack of ammo and the over use of the gravity gun..it's cool but not all the time..

great game at the end and cant wait for episode II

froggyplat
06-04-2006, 06:13 AM
Great game! I got it for $13 at Fry's, plus it came with a case that fits my 5 HL2 cd's. It looked great and ran well on my aging FX 5500. I wish more companies would follow along and concentrate on gameplay and animation, not just the pretty stuff.

JoshBowman
06-04-2006, 09:00 AM
I really enjoyed this short but sweet episode.

The story was rather slow, but I can see why they decided to create the episode around getting out of city 17. It was a good reminder of what happened and is the bridge between HL2 and Ep. 2.

I thought the animation, texturing, lighting and all the rest of that stuff quite well done. There were a couple of low res textures here and there and obvious cube iron gates which looked a little out of place in the detailed surroundings. The character animation, while good, still had a few problems in morphing between facial expressions ie. Alyx would have a very calm look on her face while running away from something but then as soon as she stopped her expression would flick to one of distress.

Ep2. looks pretty intense story wise. But I thought the bump mapping on the vortigon(sp?) was a bit over kill.

9/10 - It had it's flaws, but overall a very good experience.

Apoclypse
06-05-2006, 12:40 AM
you said turning of camera bob helps, well Ima try it and see. I don;t understand why I can last like about an hour or so in Farcry but can't make it 20 minutes in HL2, I really do want to play this game since I payed for it and all. I heard that there are pills, but that seems a little drastic just to play a game, and I'm nit a pill guy in the worst of times.

Andyman
06-05-2006, 03:06 AM
Just finished it this afternoon. My only complaint is that it's short - glad it was only $20 (I know I would've paid $50, but for the length of it $20 is much better).

As far as the whole HL-universal story goes, it didn't advance much - it just follows the escape from the Citadel and City 17. However, it never felt like it was dragging. As someone else said, it's tight, and very good.

I liked it better than HL2, actually. Alyx was great, it felt suspenseful at parts, it was a good challenge, and.... I just really really liked it. I just wish you'd get a gun sooner in the game.

And for the record, I don't mind Steam at all. I think it's pretty neat. However, I did buy the game from an actual store - I wanted the real box and disc.

glynnsmith
06-05-2006, 03:14 AM
you said turning of camera bob helps, well Ima try it and see. I don;t understand why I can last like about an hour or so in Farcry but can't make it 20 minutes in HL2, I really do want to play this game since I payed for it and all. I heard that there are pills, but that seems a little drastic just to play a game, and I'm nit a pill guy in the worst of times.

I got slight motion sickness with HL2, and found that it was because I was playing in 1024x768.

I changed up to 1280x1024 and I played all the way through it without being troubled again.

heavyness
06-05-2006, 03:59 AM
i also get a bit motion sick from HL2. certain games get me, don't know what it is but i think its the better looking ones that i get really sucked into, kinda fooling my own mind that i'm really there.

helps with some lights on and slow down your mouse sensitivity. i wish i could turn down the movement sensitivity cause it feels like Gorden moves 5 feet in any direction when i press the W, A, S, or D keys to move.

Apoclypse
06-05-2006, 04:16 AM
I get motion sickness with these type of games anyways, which is why I stick to 2d games or rpg's like FF (Kingdom Heart does it to me too). In fact I was playing star fox (the snes one) and I was actually feeling the dizzyness, crazy I tell you. Its not something new with me its just that it usually takes about an hour before it realy sets in, If I force it then the dizzyness lasts for about a day and a half. Pain in the ass I tell you. Happens in cars too. Went to th bar on Friday, thought I was gonna hurl before I even drank a drop.

Anyways, the only game I could play (still surprises me btw) is Knights of the old republic. I played that game for hours on end without feeling the least bit sick. Then again I wasplaying it at 800x600 cause I had a crappy 5200 at the time. When I switched to a 9800 pro it was I upped the res and definately started to feel a little bit dizzy nothing significant though. I never even though about the rez having any effect, now that you mention it. I'll definately have to try lowering or raising the rez. Just have to install it again it was just wasiting space. Racing games have absolutely no effect on me though. Weird.

aki
06-05-2006, 07:40 AM
Did anyone download HL2-EP1 via Steam? And if so, how big is the download?

I am on limited bandwidth atm. and I don't think it will hit stores in Australia until earliest tomorrow. Grrr....

Cheers,
_aki

sirap
06-05-2006, 07:41 AM
it's about a gig plus

aki
06-05-2006, 07:50 AM
Mhm... and can you resume the download?

sirap
06-05-2006, 07:52 AM
yeah, steam lets you pause/resume downloads

Ariel
06-05-2006, 08:19 AM
i also get a bit motion sick from HL2. certain games get me, don't know what it is but i think its the better looking ones that i get really sucked into, kinda fooling my own mind that i'm really there.

helps with some lights on and slow down your mouse sensitivity. i wish i could turn down the movement sensitivity cause it feels like Gorden moves 5 feet in any direction when i press the W, A, S, or D keys to move.

Someone at work mentioned the other day that this kind of motion sickness sometimes has to do with poor framerate. Have you tried lowering the visual qualitty settings a bit (or upgrading your machine ;))? Not sure if it works but you might want to give it a shot.

DMJ
06-05-2006, 09:52 AM
I'm in the middle of EP1 now, and i like the game. Those zombies have been training i guess.

On steam: what if valve goes bankrupt and i still want to play any games that need decryption via an online signal?
Thats my biggest issue with all those online activation and registration things in software, what if the developing/supporting company shuts down?

techmage
06-05-2006, 09:56 AM
Why should I sacrifice my own privacy just so game developers can be more independant of publishers? I'll chose whats the better deal for me, as a customer.
I think you disregard that steam logs what you play, when you play it, with whom you play it etc. etc. If that's not breaking into my private life that I dont know what is. People will tell you it's nessecary to avoid picarcy, but it's really not. HL2 was available as a cracked version and so will any other product released via steam. It's just that this online publishing thing has the nice side effect that you can do a _lot_ of data harvesting without having to itroduce any extra measures that people have to agree to. So, I myself chose to boycott such services... I wish more people would.
If valves intent wasnt to spy on people in order to gather data that can be used for marketing, why do you need an internet connection even if you buy the game in a store and never wish to play online?
This discussion is really about who do you trust to hold so much of your personal information? Dont you mind that valve knows how long you play games a day? If you have steam auto-start it'll even tell them how long your computer is running in general. As steam tells valve when you launch a game and when you quit it they can even tell how much gaming you actually do per hour you're at your computer.
To top it all off, valve even has the right to, at any given time, block your license and make you pay for the game again in order to continue playing it.

I think in your valiant attempt to 'stick it to the man' you forget what was so bad about the man in the first place. Data harvesting is not inherintly bad, data harvesting is only bad when it is bad. Nothing is wrong with valve wanting to know playing trends of their games, in fact almost every single company that offers any kind of online gaming experiece with a central matchmaking system does this. Its the same type of thing as a television network keeping track of ratings of their shows or a brokerage company keeping track of marketing trends. It's not evil, it's just smart buisness strategy, its part of what allows valve to to stay in buisness, if they don't know what their customers like then how are they going to make more of it? I understand the need for privacy, but when your evangelical attempt to uphold privacy in the most petty of ways starts to hurt the ability for honest companies to survive then it's just idiotic. It is a good thing that valve wants to know what their customers like and wish to tune their products to their customers, not a bad thing.

And the only time you -need- an internet connection is to activate half-life 2 or play online, after it's activated it can run single player or on lan games just fine without an internet connection. Also while on the subject, valve saw there was disgress from players about the inablity to pirate the game and play together at lans. So now steam allows multiple people to be logged in with the same account as long as there on the same internal network.

Synthesizer
06-05-2006, 02:36 PM
Hmm, for the people with motion sickness, have you tried putting it to a widescreen resolution? It gives you a wider fov, and you don't need a widescreen monitor, it just puts it in a letterbox. I play it like that, but I don't get motions sickness, so I can't say if it'd help or not.

cosmonaut
06-05-2006, 04:20 PM
I too get motion sickness from HL2. I play a lot of FPS's and that's the only one that does it. No idea why (it ain't framerate because it runs insanely smooth on my system). I'll play Doom3/Quake4/BattleField 2 no problem but 1/2 hr with HL2 and I'll feel kinda sick. Anyway, played episode 1 this weekend and beat it way too quick. It was cool but not really worth the $20. But I'm sure I'll give in and buy episodes 2 and 3. Maybe I'll get them at Fry's on sale next time...

Squash-n-Stretch
06-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Hmmm...it's interesting to read about HL2 affecting people who suffer from motion sickness...

Anyway. Is it a long game? I was worried about this so I didn't pick it up the other day (so I picked up Fahreinheit instead; what a mistake!!) but I might buy it if it's long enough (because I don't play these games online). What do you guys think?

heavyness
06-05-2006, 05:15 PM
Someone at work mentioned the other day that this kind of motion sickness sometimes has to do with poor framerate. Have you tried lowering the visual qualitty settings a bit (or upgrading your machine ;))? Not sure if it works but you might want to give it a shot.

thanks for the advice. i don't have all my setting to the top so i can get a nice frame rate and i do play on a wide screen monitor at 16x10 [so nice]. i'm not to worried about, i get motion sick sometimes sitting in the back of some people's car. but i'm looking into a new video card for the hell of it.

Apoclypse
06-05-2006, 05:59 PM
On my rig the framerate was actually pretty good. i'm kind of embarrased now but this was a monster when I first built it. AMD 3400+ 9800pro 1 gig of ram 2 80 gig harddrives raided and 1 160 gig harddrive. 1 gig of ram. Nothing special by todays standards and I plan to get a whole new rig. I was just waiting for the am2 chipset to come out from amd. PCI express here I come. I'll be damned if I'm not rocking two 7900 gts at some point.

I'll try changing the resolution though.

cosmonaut
06-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Saw this over on slashdot posted as a fix for the motion sickness. Haven't tried it myself (I plan to tonight)...

"I was hoping that they would have added a config options for it by now, but apparently not. The fix is the same as before:

1. In the game list, right click on Half-Life 2: Episode One, and select "Properties".
2. Click on "Set Launch Options..."
3. Add "+sv_cheats 1 +fov 90 +default_fov 90".
4. Click OK, Close, and launch the game.
5. Headache-b-gone!

If HL2 gives you headaches, while other FPS games do not, this fix is for you. It sets the field of view to 90 degrees, instead of HL2's default 75."

daart
06-07-2006, 04:05 PM
There is a interesting interview at eurogamer with Gabe Newell talking about the upcoming episodes. By the way, the 3 episodes are HL3!

Link (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=65345&page=1)

Peddy
06-07-2006, 04:35 PM
that was a great read, thanks very much!

DimitrisLiatsos
06-07-2006, 04:50 PM
I like their idea of three episodes instead of a Half Life 3 after 2-3 years....Smart thinking..and we get to paly more Half Life...:)

thx for the link to the interview.

mindrot
06-07-2006, 04:55 PM
It's in the post :)

Strangely enough when Episode 1 was first brought to light ages back I thought that you'd actually play as Alyx...

~M~

Digit
06-07-2006, 06:06 PM
I like their idea of three episodes instead of a Half Life 3 after 2-3 years....Smart thinking..and we get to paly more Half Life...:)

thx for the link to the interview.

I kind of like the idea of that ... but then this doesnt feel like half life 3 to me. Theres not really anything new here. Maybe under the bonnet there is but it looks and feels the same as half life 2 to me. Which is fine but its not half life 3. In fact the name is half life 2: episode 1 so who's he trying to fool!?

Peddy
06-08-2006, 03:58 AM
hes not trying to fool anyone, he's simply trying to bring home the fact that they are seriously developing and furthering the plot. its not half-life 3

Digit
06-08-2006, 04:05 AM
"Gabe Newell: Half-Life 3 [a.k.a. Episodes One to Three] is about the relationship with the G-Man and what happens when he loses control of you, when you're not available to him as a tool and how he responds to that, and what are the consequences of that."

Guess its just the way he put it... I took him too literally :)

Right, now Im gonna go home and finish episode 1 off!

Peddy
06-08-2006, 05:15 AM
yeah i realise that he did actually say half-life 3 in the interview. but he can't throw that term around loosely. it downplays the magnificent debut of half-life 2 and its huge buildup.

Digit
06-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Well, I finished it. Thought it was quite good but I didnt find it really fantastic. The little preview of episode 2 looked great though.

I have to say that the orginal half life is still my fave FPS, despite all the amzing technology in this one.

HapZungLam
06-09-2006, 09:44 PM
it keeps saying that i can't connect to the internet -_-

mindrot
06-14-2006, 07:22 PM
it keeps saying that i can't connect to the internet -_-

Could be your firewall if you are using one.

~M~

mindrot
06-14-2006, 07:24 PM
Anyone know when Episode 2 is out? I just finished Episode 1 and need more :cry:

~M~

CGTalk Moderation
06-14-2006, 07:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.