PDA

View Full Version : BBC: Microsoft debuts security package

RobertoOrtiz
06-01-2006, 04:05 PM
Quote:
"Users worried about staying safe online will soon be able to get software to protect their home PC direct from Microsoft.

The software giant's first security product goes on sale in the US from 1 June and will become available in other countries over the next 12 months.

The product, dubbed OneCare, rolls anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall programs into one package.
OneCare costs $49.95 (26.50) to protect three computers for a year. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/5032832.stm

-R

JosephGoss
06-01-2006, 04:29 PM
its a shame they won't bundle it in vista,

because if they do, all the other anti virus compaines will sue them for being anti competetive
, they would be gret though, a virus scanner with the OS

>jOe

mustique
06-01-2006, 04:49 PM
I wouldn't want MS to take care of security, let alone "PAY" for it.
MS is responsible to patch security holes for its own OS, at no additional cost.

This not just against antitrust laws but against common sense too.

How will I know that MS doesn't patch security holes intentionally,
just because there are those clueless people that feel like having to pay for it?

MS shouldn't be allowed these kind of business practices anymore.

pixelmonk
06-01-2006, 05:09 PM
its a shame they won't bundle it in vista,

because if they do, all the other anti virus compaines will sue them for being anti competetive
, they would be gret though, a virus scanner with the OS

>jOe

it may fly considering the amount of viruses and firewall issues Windows has had in the past. MS's case in court could be that they are making sure their OS is more secure because of its new security additions. They didn't get sued for adding a real tiny firewall into XP. They shouldn't get sued for taking it to the next level.

CIM
06-02-2006, 05:47 AM
I'll stick to the free programs that work just as good as the pay ones.

TumikSmacker
06-02-2006, 05:54 AM
I can see it now...

"Wow OneCore has the update for this new deadly virus that no other company has, I wonder how they countered the virus so fast..."

KayosIII
06-02-2006, 06:56 AM
Quote:
" protect their home PC direct from Microsoft.

Because we all know that home PC users need protection from Microsoft
:p

bluemagicuk
06-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Oh for the love of god ... what is going on, how can microsoft sell consumers protection for their own product. Sure people will be dumb enough to buy it but come on this has got to be illegal ??? This is dumber than the e3 guy with controler problems.

avinashlobo
06-04-2006, 02:10 PM
I wouldn't want MS to take care of security, let alone "PAY" for it.
MS is responsible to patch security holes for its own OS, at no additional cost.Um, that's exactly how it is right now. Have you been paying someone to update your copy of Windows? If you have, you're being ripped off by someone smarter than you.

How will I know that MS doesn't patch security holes intentionally,
just because there are those clueless people that feel like having to pay for it?This is where the great capitalist machine kicks into gear. If Microsoft doesn't patch it, there are a dozen of other vendors who will. Just cancel your subscription with Microsoft & use aother product instead. Can you imagine the smugness? "We fixed it faster than Microsoft could..." It's gonna be a mad, mad, rat-race & you're gonna be the one benefitting the most. Smile!

What a more genuine worry would be that Microsoft creates intentional security holes so that people scramble to renew their subscriptions. Of course, this would conversely create bad publicity for the OS, so that doesn't seem likely either, considering how much hype they're throwing behind Vista's enhanced security model.

avinashlobo
06-04-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz Quote:" protect their home PC direct from Microsoft.

Because we all know that home PC users need protection from Microsoft
:pActually, the quote was "...will soon be able to get software to protect their home PC direct from Microsoft"

I think the meaning is pretty clear. Twisting semantics on misquoted statements might be cute, but it doesn't really form the basis of anything constructive (except cuteness)

mech7
06-04-2006, 04:51 PM
Actually vista has something which does not allow user to patch core.. It could be disabled i thought.. I would never buy a antivirus from ms though no matter how good it is :p

This is where the great capitalist machine kicks into gear. If Microsoft doesn't patch it, there are a dozen of other vendors who will. Just cancel your subscription with Microsoft & use aother product instead.

paintbox
06-04-2006, 05:02 PM
Quote:
"Drivers worried about staying safe on the road will soon be able to get airbags to protect themselves directly from <insert car manufacturer>.

The industry giant's first security measure goes on sale in the US from 1 June and will become available in other countries over the next 12 months.

The product, dubbed OneBag, rolls air, a bag and warning system into one package.
OneBag costs $49.95 (26.50) to protect one car for a year. "

FallenSwordsman
06-04-2006, 05:18 PM
Has anyone else thought that this might be really inappropriately named - especially if said in a French accent.

avinashlobo
06-05-2006, 08:50 AM
Has anyone else thought that this might be really inappropriately named - especially if said in a French accent.hehehehehe.. so funny man! :applause:

avinashlobo
06-05-2006, 08:59 AM
Quote:
"Drivers worried about staying safe on the road will soon be able to get airbags to protect themselves directly from <insert car manufacturer>.

The industry giant's first security measure goes on sale in the US from 1 June and will become available in other countries over the next 12 months.

The product, dubbed OneBag, rolls air, a bag and warning system into one package.
OneBag costs $49.95 (26.50) to protect one car for a year. "At the risk of sounding like an MS fanboy (which I'm not, I just like keeping things fair), the analogy is skewed.

Here's a more appropriate (albeit similarly exaggerated) one -

Drivers worried about getting their car torched and being crushed by a hail of bricks from an angry and unreasonable mob will soon be able to get a state-of-the-art armour system from <insert car manufacturer>

The product dubbed OneRAMBO, rolls force-fields, mine-sweepers and anti-aircraft missiles into one package.

OneBag already ships for free, known by its other monickers - Windows Firewall, Windows Defender, the Disk Checking utility & the Disk Defragmenting utility.

CGTalk Moderation
06-05-2006, 08:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.