PDA

View Full Version : Kubuntu 6.06 LTS Here for the Long Term

DrQuincy
06-01-2006, 11:12 AM
This came up about an hour ago - the wait is over!

"Kubuntu 6.06 LTS has been released. It is available for download now or for the first time you can order free Kubuntu CDs through Shipit. This release comes with KDE 3.5.2 and includes a new installer which you can use direct from the live desktop CD. We have focused on stability and bugfixes, as our first Long Term Support release 6.06 will be supported for 3 years on the desktop and 5 years on the server."

More (http://kubuntu.org/announcements/6.06-lts-release.php)

I'm downloading it now albeit very slowly. I can't wait to try out the Compiz XGL stuff!

AlexC
06-01-2006, 11:20 AM
I grabed Dapper when it was still Beta and was very pleased with it, I'll download Ubuntu ( I don't like KDE ) 6.06 soon. I forgot that it came out today, thanks Dr.Q!

Edit: Wow, there website seems to have gone a bit more commercial!

mech7
06-01-2006, 11:46 AM
:sad: If only photoshop / dreamweaver / flash / zbrush where available for linux i would switch immediatly. Don't forget to mention Ubuntu :p

http://www.ubuntu.com

AlexC
06-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Mech7, there are alternatives to some of those software, but I know what you mean - I wish software companies would develope software for Linux too, it's the only reason why I'm on Windows because they wont develope the main programs I use for Linux.

mech7
06-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Yeah I know there are alternatives but like the gimp it just can't really compete to photoshop.. also wine is not really an option as it usually only works with much older versions or it works kinda buggy or very diffcult to install :(

DrQuincy
06-01-2006, 11:56 AM
I agree with you both too.

I love Linux and there are many free alternatives out there but my main gripe is that a lot of stuff never makes it past Beta.

As a rule-of-thumb I do all multimedia work on Windows and all web development on Linux. When it comes to running Apache, PHP and MySQL Windows doesn't come close . . .

AlexC
06-01-2006, 12:19 PM
Dr.Q, exactly what I do - though I havn't been on Linux for a while because I have 2xSATA RAID 0 hard drives for Windows and last time I added a 80GB IDE drive in for Linux and it screwed up my Windows array/drives.

So what I do now if I want to use Linux is turn off RAID in the bios, unplug my Win SATA hard drives, then plug in my 80GB IDE drive for Linux. It's a right pain but it keeps Windows safe.

What editor do you use when coding PHP/MySQL etc? I've yet to find a good one, they all look horrible and un-useable. I just want something like PHP Designer 2006 but for Linux, that has a great UI and is very good to work with.

I also forgot about XGL too! I will try that out as soon as it's downloaded and installed ( 6 mins left! )

mech7
06-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Zend Studio is great for php.. but expensive

playmesumch00ns
06-01-2006, 12:59 PM
Fantastic! Ubuntu is the first linux distribution that i've been able to live with on my laptop. It's brilliant, tho sadly Xgl/compiz didn't work for me under dapper beta :( Have to give it a go on a clean system :)

DrQuincy
06-01-2006, 01:01 PM
Mine's downloaded now but I'm at work. Guess what I'll be doing this evening? :)

I have two seperate machines, a Windows one and a Kubuntu one. I've set Kubuntu up as an Apache web server. I use two monitors and a single mouse, keyboard and tablet and share them across both machines via Synergy.

I use Quanta Plus for Linux (http://quanta.kdewebdev.org/) (KDE only though) for PHP, HTML, CSS, JavaScript coding. It's by far the best (and it's free!) in my opinion. I don't like WYSIWYG editors like Dreamweaver, I feel more in control hand-coding everything; for me just having good text editing facilities, syntax highlighting and FTP are all I want and Quanta checks all those boxes. Quanta does enough without doing too much.

mech7
06-01-2006, 01:05 PM
Dreamweaver has the homesite engine.. if you put it on code view the code completion / hinting is really fast.. wyswyg will always suck indeed :p but coding with hand can really speed things up.. For php it kinda sucks though there are much better editors for it :D But for xhtml / css it has little competition... though topstyle has an awesome css editor.

I don't like WYSIWYG editors like Dreamweaver, I feel more in control hand-coding everything

DrQuincy
06-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Dreamweaver is a bad idea if you ask me. It tries to take control of your CSS and you end up with .stye1, .stye2, .style3475933 inline in your files.

When you're coding a PHP site where each page could be made up of up to 25 other PHP files some editors can be more of a hinderance that an aid.

AlexC
06-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Guess what i'm on :bounce: I'm doing the updates now, another 120MB download. I had to install it twice though, because the first time it messed up my username/password and wouldn't let me login. All works now though and it's fast! Though Firefox still takes ages to load.

Dr.Q Yeh I HATE WYSIWYG editors, and like you say dreamweaver takes over. I tried Qunata Plus when I used to use KDE and didn't like it that much - ah well, looks like i'm going to have to get use to something other than PHP Designer!

Now, time to install all these plugins needed and restore backups :thumbsup:

DrQuincy
06-01-2006, 01:34 PM
I'm just trying it out as a Live user now.

By the way, is it hard to get the Compiz XGL stuff working?

mech7
06-01-2006, 02:04 PM
Umm no it doesn't if you code by hand only with the code completion you won't have to type it all out.. you can work allot faster that way :p

Dreamweaver is a bad idea if you ask me. It tries to take control of your CSS and you end up with .stye1, .stye2, .style3475933 inline in your files.

scorpion007
06-02-2006, 05:18 AM
What editor do you use when coding PHP/MySQL etc? I've yet to find a good one, they all look horrible and un-useable. I just want something like PHP Designer 2006 but for Linux, that has a great UI and is very good to work with.

Try Vim (http://www.vim.org).

The best editor on linux.

KayosIII
06-02-2006, 06:03 AM
:sad: If only photoshop / dreamweaver / flash / zbrush where available for linux i would switch immediatly. Don't forget to mention Ubuntu :p

http://www.ubuntu.com

You have of course sent a letter to Adobe/Zbrush folks letting them know this. I have heard people say that a lot... If Adobe etc think there is enough demand they will look at porting.

Cronholio
06-02-2006, 06:19 AM
FYI, Compiz/XGL is pretty much unusable if you plan on doing any 3D work or using any application that has an accelerated OpenGL viewport.

Mostly, your viewport will be corrupted, if the application does work it may run 50% or so slower than under xorg. Xgl, compiz and the hardware drivers still have a long way to go before they will be usable.

DrQuincy
06-02-2006, 09:18 AM
The install was great, you do it from the Live CD and it's quick, easy and painless.

However, I spent HOURS trying to get Compiz running (on Kubuntu with an nVidia card) but to no joy. It hangs when booting up. Has anyone had any joy with it? Most of the tutorials out there seem to be for the Gnome version rather than KDE.

Thanks.

Rezonance
06-02-2006, 09:42 AM
I have had a really great user experience with Suse 10.1. Getting compiz and xgl working was much easier then I had previously experienced.

This is the guide I used and it was all reasonably easy.
http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/178/42/

AlexC
06-02-2006, 09:45 AM
The install was great, you do it from the Live CD and it's quick, easy and painless.

However, I spent HOURS trying to get Compiz running (on Kubuntu with an nVidia card) but to no joy. It hangs when booting up. Has anyone had any joy with it? Most of the tutorials out there seem to be for the Gnome version rather than KDE.

Thanks.

Yeh the install was SO quick, I had to take a spare hard drive and my new 6.06 CD around to a mates house ( Windows problems ). It took 10-15 mins to format and install Ubuntu, it took over an hour, maybe even 2 to get Windows formated and installed.

I've just got off Ubuntu now because I'm having the same problem - sort of. I can not get the ATI drivers installed, and when I do it sets and locks my monitors refresh rate at 43hz! ( You can see the horizontal lines it's horrible ). Mine also restarts or just hangs there and turns my monitor off. Looks like i'll have to re-install Ubuntu again ( for the 7th time in 2 days hehe )

DrQuincy
06-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Looks like i'll have to re-install Ubuntu again ( for the 7th time in 2 days hehe )

I know that feeling! I did four installs last night and one this morning - it's a good job it's so quick!

I found this tutorial written specifically for XGL and Compiz on Kubuntu with an nVidia card (http://noiesmo.dnsalias.net/article.php?story=20060602173658632). I'm going to try it tonight. It was only posted today so should work with the Stable release. All the other guides I've found were written for Beta.

AlexC
06-02-2006, 11:35 AM
Oh nice, I just had another go at my ATI drivers - still no luck. Hope you get XGL running, it looks so cool =) I might go for another install again after lunch

knellotron
06-02-2006, 02:12 PM
FYI, Compiz/XGL is pretty much unusable if you plan on doing any 3D work or using any application that has an accelerated OpenGL viewport.

Mostly, your viewport will be corrupted, if the application does work it may run 50% or so slower than under xorg. Xgl, compiz and the hardware drivers still have a long way to go before they will be usable.

I disagree completely! I use Compiz / XGL full-time on my workstation on KDE. I use Blender and Maya on it. I got it to be quite stable, usable, and I love it.

AlexC
06-02-2006, 03:11 PM
mmm, I wish there was a Maya PLE for Linux - i'd grab it straight away and stick to Linux then!

Well anyway, i'm back on Ubuntu - though I havn't installed ATI drivers. Oh and by the way I found a really nice editor called BlueFish Editor - it's really good and a nice UI too

mech7
06-02-2006, 04:31 PM
If you get a reply it is a default answer.. we don't have any plans to release a version for linux bla bla bla

Though this is the problem that windows will keep a monopoly.. If software was available for linux we would not be forced to use windows anymore :(

You have of course sent a letter to Adobe/Zbrush folks letting them know this. I have heard people say that a lot... If Adobe etc think there is enough demand they will look at porting.

Apoclypse
06-02-2006, 04:43 PM
I've been using K/Ubuntu since hoary. Its always been great. I skipped Breezy though. Dapper is incredible. Xgl is freaking awesome, if you use the quinndebs you get this really cool unfold cube option which is the best thing ever for compiz. The other stuff is usless like the dock, and the water plugin. Something like trailfocus can be useful if configured properly. The zoom plugin is pretty cool too though I wish they would change to an orthagonal view when they zoom and and they should also put in a zoom limit as you can pretty much zoom into the box (you end up with a black screen: not doublesided) The wobbly windows on the quinndebs are out of control though they just wobble allover the place. I definately had to change the options to something more conservative, though its very coool when you maximize or minimize a window. I can't wait for edgy which will most likey have compiz supported right out of the box they will probably be using aiglx as opposed to Xgl though.

AlexC
06-02-2006, 05:02 PM
I can't wait for edgy which will most likey have compiz supported right out of the box they will probably be using aiglx as opposed to Xgl though.

Well in 6 months you'll have Edgy, but I think they are going to stick with XGL. FC5 and SuSE seem to be the ones going with AIGLX ( Which does seem better )

Gah, I've just got Dapper all set up and now I don't want to install ATI drivers because it will proberly end up ruined again!

DrQuincy
06-03-2006, 09:30 AM
I've got a bit further but it's still not working right. I now have GDM running and I can choose to login in through Compiz. It either hangs on "Restoring Session" or it loads up and then freezes.

It's such a tease - the first time I logged in through Compiz I got toenjoy about two seconds of cool effects. :(

AlexC
06-03-2006, 09:38 AM
At least you experanced it :applause:

Are you sure you've installed Gnome correctly? Have you tried the guides on Ubuntu forums?

ThomasMahler
06-03-2006, 10:23 AM
Hmmm, I just tried some of the Linux live CDs out there, Kubuntu, PCLinuxOS and stuff like that. Are there actually some guides for total Linux newbies that take you by the hand when it comes to installing Nvidia drivers, network drivers (no linux distro seems to work with my Realtek RTL 8139 network card, at least, not automatically) and so on?

I'd like to install Linux as a secondary OS and use it for a while, to see if it fits my workflow. So, I'd be happy if someone could give me some idiot-proof guides about how to setup a Linux distro correctly.

I'm on a AMD64 3700+, 3gigs of RAM, 6800gt here.

AlexC
06-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Hey TM,

I don't think i've had tinternet working with a LiveCD, but it was a long time ago I tried it with a liveCD.

If you download the Ubuntu Desktop CD, and install that on a spare hard drive - i'd be willing to help you out if you want? - If you do get Ubuntu, this (http://help.ubuntu.com/6.06/ubuntu/desktopguide/C/index.html) is a great to set it up.

ThomasMahler
06-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Thanks a lot, I have a few very basic questions:

1) Can anyone tell me in a few sentences what the KDE/Gnome/XGL thing is all about? It's just about the 'engine' that renders the desktop, right? So XGL, AIGLX and all that fancy stuff that is coming up right now uses the GPU to render the desktop, right? How useable is this stuff, if you're using OpenGL Apps? I've seen some nifty videos and all that desktop rendering stuff looks really, really useful, but I also hear that this stuff isn't stable at all yet.

2) I always hear that there's a lot of trouble when it comes to installing GPU drivers - I'm on a 6800gt here. Is that really a problem?

3) How's the 64bit stuff working within Linux? I can't really use the 64bit version of Windows, cause there are a heck lot of drivers missing for my system. How does that work under Linux? Can you still use all the Linux apps out there, or will that be a problem?

I actually don't want to care about technical stuff at all, I just want to try it for some time on a secondary HD, to see if I could work with it, to get a feel for Linux.

kaiser_pro
06-03-2006, 11:12 AM

yup, maya reverts to software for rendering the viewport. however GlxGears works, not that its any use.

for day to day use though, you cant beat it, as soon as you turn off the wobbly bits, everything is soo much faster

kaiser_pro
06-03-2006, 11:19 AM

1) Can anyone tell me in a few sentences what the KDE/Gnome/XGL thing is all about? It's just about the 'engine' that renders the desktop, right? So XGL, AIGLX and all that fancy stuff that is coming up right now uses the GPU to render the desktop, right? How useable is this stuff, if you're using OpenGL Apps? I've seen some nifty videos and all that desktop rendering stuff looks really, really useful, but I also hear that this stuff isn't stable at all yet.

gnome/kde are comparable to explorer and themeing thingy combined in windows. XGL is the linux equivolent of Macosx's Quartz extreme. all it does is take the commands to draw the buttons and stuff and converts them to openGL fluff for the GPU to render. If you have nVidia, its usable with a little tweaking, ATI or anything else, i'd avoid.

2) I always hear that there's a lot of trouble when it comes to installing GPU drivers - I'm on a 6800gt here. Is that really a problem?

not really, nvidia is realtivly straight forward, and if you wait for novell desktop linux, it'll install them for you

3) How's the 64bit stuff working within Linux? I can't really use the 64bit version of Windows, cause there are a heck lot of drivers missing for my system. How does that work under Linux? Can you still use all the Linux apps out there, or will that be a problem?

you can run both 32bit applications and 64bit applications side by side, there are a few things that dont run very well, but unless you using something that really needs the fluff that comes with 64bits, i wouldnt bother just yet (same with windows really)

I actually don't want to care about technical stuff at all, I just want to try it for some time on a secondary HD, to see if I could work with it, to get a feel for Linux.

live CD?

-Sai-
06-03-2006, 04:38 PM

try fedora core 5.

http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm
http://www.fedorafaq.org/-fedora-fc5.html

KayosIII
06-04-2006, 02:43 AM

1) Can anyone tell me in a few sentences what the KDE/Gnome/XGL thing is all about? It's just about the 'engine' that renders the desktop, right?

Linux is fairly modular, you can choose between different user interfaces or desktop environments depending on your needs. KDE and Gnome are two popular "desktop environments" for Linux. Ubuntu is based around Gnome, Kubuntu around KDE.

XGL is a way of using hardware OpenGL to accellerate fancy graphical effects on the desktop. (Along the lines of Aeroglass in Vista). Strictly speaking you don't need it but if you like playing with Tech Toys or want to impress your friends it might be fun.

As far as working Nvidia Drivers are pretty much on par with the Windows Drivers, ATI users are not so lucky. Installation can be a little bit tricky first time around on some distros (there is a text configuration file that usually has to be edited).

64 bit is a lot more mature on Linux at this time. I can't give you help on any specifics, best to check with any commercial apps you are using.

I actually don't want to care about technical stuff at all, I just want to try it for some time on a secondary HD, to see if I could work with it, to get a feel for Linux. At this point in the game you will find yourself having to care about the technical stuff a little more than on windows or Mac. As long as you are a little forgiving in that regards Linux may work quite well for you. If you would like to post a list of hardware you want to get working I might be able to offer some more advice - If you are lucky everything will just work. Out of my stuff - only the nVidia 3D drivers, My Wacom Tablet and my Firewire based soundcard require specific extra configuration.

ThomasMahler
06-04-2006, 09:06 AM
I think Linux doesn't really like me. I tried several Distros now - PCLinuxOS, Kubuntu and Fedora Core 5 and none of them accepted my network card. I've 3 network cards in my pc, I use a Realtek 8139 for my internet connection. Strangely, Kubuntu doesn't even show me which network card is which, it just displays them as eth0, eth1 and eth2 - And I don't have the slightest idea how I could tell Linux which card it should use for the internet connection.

Weeeelllll, I think it comes down to sitting down and testing it for a looong time. I want a Linux distribution that is more along the lines of OSX - that'd be neat. A fool-proof distro that is just fun to work with.

My specs: A64 3700+, 3 gigs RAM, 6800gt, Wacom Intuos 2, Audigy 2 ZS, Realtek 8139 Family something - That's the hardware that I'd like to run.

All of that testing and stuff would be far easier if my internet connection would actually work. Geez, I'm a newbie! ;)

DrQuincy
06-04-2006, 09:51 PM
I've tried Kubuntu on loads of specs and the Internet / network configuration has always takenplace automatically. If you do have problems you'll need to edit your network config file directly. It's not at all hard to do - if you use Kubuntu Imaye be able to help. It could just be that DHCP is struggling if you have more than one network card.

DestyNova
06-04-2006, 10:45 PM
go to ubuntu forum and ask for help. I got all of the helps with my newbie problems from there.

Apoclypse
06-04-2006, 11:17 PM
installing nVidia or ATi drivers in K/Ubuntu is very straight forward. All you have to do is either do a search for fglrx (ATi) or nVidia in synaptic. The corresponding packages will install. For ATi type the command "sudo aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf" (case sensitive as all things in *nix are) this will change you display server driver to "fglrx" instead of "ati". Reboot and you should be up and running. That is all the latest ati commercial drivers are already in the repos so no need to download anything or compile modules and crap, all that is included in K/Ubuntu which is why its such a great distro among other things.

For nVidia users its almost exactly. Type in sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_bak to create a backup of your xorg file which contains all the important stuff you need in-order for your display to work. Then in a console type sudo nvidia-xconfig. This should change your display driver from "nv" to "nvidia". Reboot. Thats all there is to it. The ubuntu forums are extreme;y helpful. Typing any error messages you get in google then adding dapper or ubuntu after it will usually take you their forums with an answer to your problem. Especially something like getting your display driver to work.

BTW, if you are doing the whole Xgl/Compiz thing and have an ATi card remember to change the timeout time in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf to 50 as there seems to be a problem with taking longer to load gdm than the time out time that gdm has by default. Hope this helps.

Apoclypse
06-04-2006, 11:30 PM
Oh. one last thing if you want less display corruption and less problems (as well usability, can someone please tell what is the point of water, dock and the overwobbliness of the windows) use the vanilla compiz packages, these will be generally more stable though they lack alot of cool but imo opinion useless things (the aformentioned plugins). The quinndeb packages are very unstable, i think that they have become very irresponsible in writing these plugins since they are adding features and breaking things left and right in the process, throwing things out the door before they are ready or even stable. However, that is the nature of certain oss projects and compiz is definately gettiing the full treatment.

loden
06-05-2006, 12:19 AM
My specs: A64 3700+, 3 gigs RAM, 6800gt, Wacom Intuos 2, Audigy 2 ZS, Realtek 8139 Family something - That's the hardware that I'd like to run.

Hi Thomas, the only problem I could see in your rig could be the wacom, not because it doesn't work, only because it's not easy for a newbie get it to work. In other words is not really straight forward the process of having the pressure to work properly, but anyway you can find really detailed howto about that here (http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/) .
And for the network card, is really strange because the Realtek 8139 is well supported in linux, I have 2 of that cards installed and Ubuntu recognize them with no problem.
Couldn't tell about the audigy, sorry!
Good luck ;)

KayosIII
06-05-2006, 02:22 AM
It appears that the card is working under ubuntu it just he can't tell which of his 3 cards is which, IMO that is a bug.

Why 3 network cards, what do they each connect to, are they automatically/or manually configured under windows. (Need to figure out if you need to bridge connections - or wether you can aggricagate them or what not)...

If you are using Dhcp (automatic configuration) you just plug in only the network card you are using for internet and try each of the connections one at a time - The one that actually shows an address (eg 192.168.1.100) is the realtek card.

Hint: to actually make changes to a lot of things in Kubuntu (in this case network settings) you need to enter administrator mode on the panel - you will need push the button that says this on the bottom of the panel and enter your password.

Apoclypse
06-05-2006, 02:50 AM
KayosIII: I have a question for you about your wacom. I was having problems getting the pressure working too. Now it works perfectly. Did you install the wacom before or after you installed K/Ubuntu. If it was after then that means that X wasn't configured properly and that its being picked up as another mouse (note this happens in windows too, if you don't install the drivers, just fyi). All you have to do is run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg" at a command prompt and K/Ubuntu will pick up and configure the wacom. You also might want to install wacom-tools from synaptic. Note: because this resets and reconfigures your X installation you might have to run aticonfig or the nvidia config tool again to set up your video drivers. After that you restart X by holding CTTL-ALT-Backspace and just wait until the login screen reappears (this could take a couple of minutes) move the pen on the tablet to make sure that you can use the wacom.

If it still doesn't work go into a command prompt and type "sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change anything with "/dev/wacom" to "/dev/input/wacom". This works better than creating a symbolic link or "shortcut" as you windows guys like to call it as it will get replace everytime at startup. Oh yeah dont forget to save and restart X liek it was shown above. It should work after that. Hope this helps. Sorry if I'm a little to technical for you, I know no other way :).

Apoclypse
06-05-2006, 03:03 AM
TM as for a more OSX like linux. Ubuntu is sure on its way there (note Ubuntu not Kubuntu-maybe when kde4 comes out definately not right now, no flames please). Regardless it will never be as easy as OSX because Ubuntu doesn't have the luxury of having hardware made specifically for it with drivers and all that will work perfectly everytime. OSX can afford to be easy because only a specialized set of hardware is supported, thus you don't have to look through forums to get your wireless card working cause chances are OSX has already set that up, then again you didn;t pick the wirelss card it just came with your mac. Windows is trying the same thing with vista, not only does this reduce hardware conflict but it also means things should work more smoothly right out of the box, lets see if they keep to this. Linux on the other habd has very little support for hardware unless the manufacturers decide to either create linux drivers or release the specs so that oss devs can create their own (note: this is the better solution as it will increase chances that the drivers will be included with linux by default). There are some things I don't exactly like about linux for example some hardware works perfectly in say Suse but doesn't work in Redhat, I think if they all pooled their knowledge together we might see much better hardware support, but I guess if all distro were the same they wouldn;t make any money we'd all use the free one, I know I do :) ).

KayosIII
06-05-2006, 07:44 AM
Apocalypse: I was in a hurry and misread your post. In answer to your question, I have had a working Wacom tablet for about 4 years now.. I have used Mandrake 7.x to Mandrake 9.x, Gentoo, Mepis and Kubuntu in that time. The worst case senario it involved compiling special kernel modules, installing a modified driver for X11, adding a udev rule, adding large sections to your X11 configuration file. Involving but not impossible. I installed Kubuntu dapper a couple of months ago and honestly can't remember (apart from the Kernel and X11 modules) what I did by hand and what was already done for me.

It is heartening to hear that a stock kubuntu is quite close to "Just Working", Thanks for filling me in. :)

KayosIII
06-05-2006, 09:43 AM
TM as for a more OSX like linux. Ubuntu is sure on its way there (note Ubuntu not Kubuntu-maybe when kde4 comes out definately not right now, no flames please).

You may well be right - it hard to say when you have a lot of experience with a particular platform. I personally have gotten much better milage out of KDE - but that doesn't necessarily make it simple to learn and gnome has probably gotten a lot better since last time I used it.

There are some things I don't exactly like about linux for example some hardware works perfectly in say Suse but doesn't work in Redhat, I think if they all pooled their knowledge together we might see much better hardware support, but I guess if all distro were the same they wouldn;t make any money we'd all use the free one, I know I do :) ).

Some degree of knowledge pooling does exist. For example Redhat will use drivers written my SuSE(novell) employees and vice versa. The problems usually occur when -
1) A hardware company releases a binary only driver that is keyed to a specific version of a specific distro's kernel.
2) Immature drivers - Ubuntu for instance includes several drivers which are not yet concidered mature enough to go into the kernel proper. In this case it is a distro's call wether to include these drivers or not.
3) there are bugs in the way a specific distro configures things. <-- This case could definately be helped with better communication between distros as you suggested

ThomasMahler
06-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Hmmm, thanks for all the answers, guys! I dunno what it is, but my network is still not working. I even threw out my old Network card and disabled the onboard LAN, so the only Network Card in the computer is my main one. According to ubuntu, it's 'eth2' (it doesn't really show me that it's a realtek card or anything) and no matter what I'm doing, Internet just isn't working. I can't even update the drivers or stuff, since it always wants to connect to the internet and tells me that it couldn't update the marked applications, etc.

So I searched through the Ubuntu boards and it seems that LOTS of people are having problems with their network cards in dapper:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=136

I really don't know how I can get it to work and I probably shouldn't spam this board with my problem - So, if anyone has a solution, I'd be happy if I'd get a PM :)

AlexC
07-02-2006, 09:16 AM
Sorry to bump and old thread, but I got XGL working!! Itīs so good and fast, I love it. I like the option to just hold down Shift + Scroll and it will adjust the lightness of the window, so if your working at night you can just adjust the lightness and saturation of it to make it easier for your eyes. Imo, XGL beats Aero :thumbsup:

kaiser_pro
07-02-2006, 01:53 PM
aye 'tis awesome XGL

have you got the ripple plugin working? its totally useless but fun sometimes.

ThomasMahler
07-02-2006, 02:05 PM
I still have SUSE on my machine and love it, also played around with XGL, but found it way too slow for working with it on a daily basis. The cube effects are neat, there's some totally useless eyecandy, like the rippling, the wobble effect, if used very slightly, is a neat way of helping organizing windows, but all in all, I'd just stay away from XGL right now.

AlexC
07-02-2006, 02:08 PM
aye 'tis awesome XGL

have you got the ripple plugin working? its totally useless but fun sometimes.

Hehe yeh the water one? Pretty cool to play with.

The cube effects are neat, there's some totally useless eyecandy, like the rippling, the wobble effect, if used very slightly, is a neat way of helping organizing windows, but all in all, I'd just stay away from XGL right now.
Some are pointless like the rain one, the wobbly effect is sometimes a bit too much so i've toned my down a bit. But others are actually quite useful, and i'm sure the eye candy will help attract more people to Linux =)

ktxed
07-03-2006, 03:07 PM
I played a little with kubuntu but xubuntu is my favourite distro so far, i also played a little with suse 10.0 but ubuntu is better :thumbsup:

AlexC
07-03-2006, 03:26 PM
I played a little with kubuntu but xubuntu is my favourite distro so far, i also played a little with suse 10.0 but ubuntu is better :thumbsup:

Ubuntu/Kubuntu and Xubuntu are all pretty much the same distro. It's just the desktop environment that changes, Ubuntu uses Gnome, Kubuntu uses KDE, Xubuntu uses XFCE.

Apoclypse
07-03-2006, 03:46 PM
I love xgl/compiz, but right now compiz is just eye candy. What they really need to do is add functinality to it liek drag and dropping expose like osx, make gnome more intergrated into it so thing like double cliking an icon will have the zoom effect originate from the icon you clicked (right now its either based on the mouse position of it originates from center of the screen), Anti-aliasing needs to be adressed, stability needs to be addressed to, right now features are being added at the cost of stability. Get rid of the silly crap like water, dock, miniwin wtc. We don't need a dock thats what the task bar in gnoe is for. The miniwin can go too. The top and bottom of the cube just have pics in them, use them for something meaningful, screensaver perhaps. Let gnome make calls to compiz or vice versa, so that things like dissolves and fades are not handled by two different programs doing the same thing, this looks awful. Zoom should be limited to the workspace as opposed to letting you pan all the way to the edges of the cube, thats just stupid and it also doesn't let you input anything when you zoom in, whats the point of that crap, for accessibility purposes this is pretty much useless. It could be great but people should put this in the eyecandy category for now. Lets see what red hat does with metacity+aiglx maybe they have something up there sleaves.

amfantasy
07-05-2006, 01:00 AM
ThomasMahler can you give us some more information about your lan.

Apoclypse I agree with what you our saying but, it would be more help if you posted it on the site instead of here.

Apoclypse
07-05-2006, 05:21 AM
You are absolutely right. I should have posted it in the ubuntu site. I think i'll post it on the compiz.net site which deals with xgl and compiz specifically.

CGTalk Moderation
07-05-2006, 05:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.