PDA

View Full Version : easy reflection pass

LuCiO_1234
06-01-2006, 01:49 AM
Hi i'm tring to do a reflection pass in this way... I select all obj. with ref. and reduce teh diffuse to black, and for the other obj i uncheck the primary visibilty.... now this method is very very slow becouse i've a lot obj in my scene.. is there another cheapest way to do same thing in one shot? like the spec pass o diff pass???

THX a lot

AndrewRaZ
06-01-2006, 05:46 AM
try using the render layers. they have a reflection preset already set up i think.

nessus
06-01-2006, 11:12 AM
i am afraid the render layer presets dont always work the way you want it to be. actually the only preset i have found working 100% is the ambient occlusion preset, other than that you pretty much have to set manually. At least they dont give me the render i want them to be.

i am afraid you have to do this all one by one, make the diffuse 0, crank up the reflectivity(you can always reduce the effect in comp, so dont worry if the reflection is too strong. same thing goes to other render passes). And dont forget leave some spec on, dont make it all 0. i found sometimes if you turn off specularity, you dont get reflections either.

i dont know how many different shaders/objects u have in your scene, i hope there are not that many. right now, i am doing the same thing, i have approx. 30 shaders in my scene. good thing is that i dont need to block too many objects for each pass.

Sully
06-01-2006, 11:41 AM
The only way ive found to get a true reflection pass is by setting it up manually the presets in maya like you say dont really give you what you want...my workflow is this:

-Keep original geometry with materials lights ect but turn off primary visabilty and everything else in the renderable attributes except visible in reflections and refractions keep this checked and slap everything into a layer and call it original geometry or something like that.

-Next duplicate all the original geometry and turn off visble in reflections and refractions but keep shadow turned on and everything else thats normally in the Renderable attributes. Then apply a matte material to iall this geometry with 100% reflectivity and keep the colour pure black and you should get exactly what your looking for..

The method you were using is ok I somtimes use it to speed things up or if I have a particularlly large scene but the bad thing with this is you wont get any diffuse colour on your reflections and therefore not its not a true reflection pass! Give it a try I think Ive included all the steps..

LuCiO_1234
06-03-2006, 06:34 PM
Hi thx for reply, i want to do something like this in maya... is possible... also the tutorial's second part is very interesting...

http://www.bernardlebel.com/tutorials/XSI_reflectFade/reflectFade-1.htm

I'm looking for old post on google and ive found this one
http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-267755.html

anyone had understand wath tinitus done?? i've try to do what he said but i don't be able to do... Can anyone hep me??

My goal is to do a refl. pass in one shot without change any material or property object..

Because i've found a lots of problel with this techniques..

CGTalk Moderation
06-03-2006, 06:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.