PDA

View Full Version : Misc. Questions about XSI

sonictk
05-31-2006, 08:38 AM
Texture Editor:

1. Can I get 'show connectivity' to show the connecting edges using thinner lines?
2. Is there a way to NOT repeat the clip image? (So that I can see which areas are UVmapped and which are not)
3. Is there a Texporter-like plugin or similar tool for XSI that will render UVmaps with different height levels filled in with varying RGB values based on their orientation? I'm more used to seeing 'filled-in' UVmaps than just yellow lines on a black background.

Rendering:
1. Why can't I load custom render presets? When I save custom presets and try to load them later, the dialog box just closes and another one opens, when I select the preset and try to load it again the new dialog box closes, but the preset is not loaded at all. Then when I try to load it again, it does not even appear in the XSI explorer dialog. And it is there, because I can see the file in Windows Explorer, but not in the XSI explorer.
2. Previously, when I tried to create a curve that would have one of its points exactly on a vertex of a different object, I would hit CTRL to activate Snapping, and it would work. The curve's point would 'snap' to the vertex of a different object. Now, however, I have no idea why it doesn't work anymore. All options (Point, Segment, Facet, Ref Plane) for the snapping options are checked.
3. Is there a way to get the Render Tree to be unlocked by default? I do not want to have to keep clicking Refresh to check what nodes are attached to my selected object's material.
4. Why is it that when I render large images (1280x1024), an error pops up saying "No rendering viewer used. Image resolution exceeds display limit"? My desktop resolution is 2304x1024 (dual-monitor), and the "Rendering" progress bar does not update until the entire render is completed.

Finally: When I try to install XSI on my Tablet PC, the following error appears when I try to initialize XSI;
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/3596/image003516kv.jpg
I had to take a picture of it, as it would disppear in under a second, along with the entire crash of the application. (PrntScrn would not work)

I have a feeling this has something to do with the Win XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, but could anyone confirm this or advise me on how to fix it?

dwigfor
05-31-2006, 08:08 PM
Tex2 - make sure wrap U and wrap V are unchecked.. I think you may need to do a Q render to show what's outside the texture box (it'll render that black)

Tex3 - I think there's a shader that will render out normals...

Ren2 - Try to click the snapping box to see if there's any additional options you need to check. I need to do that and set it to nulls to snap to nulls on my 4.2 Ess.

Ren4 - I think it does that to save resources.. You can always check your frames that have already rendered.

sonictk
06-05-2006, 06:31 AM
Sorry, I only just got back from a load of schoolwork. Does anyone know anything about the error that I posted below about XSI not being able to run on my tablet PC? That's currently the most pressing matter at hand, as I need to bring it to school soon in order to work from there.

luceric
06-05-2006, 02:47 PM
That Assert dialog does not come from XSI, as you can read it comes from some driver compiled in debug mode called 'MSDV'. Could be some kind of shady quicktime codec or a debug version of DV-video driver you've got installed. If you played around with DirectX settings, make sure you're not running the debug version of DirectX. Try renaming 'msdv.sys' to something else to see if that's the problem. Try re-installing DirectX if you can.

sonictk
06-05-2006, 03:19 PM
Here is a screenshot from dxdiag, it appears that I am running Win XP Pro (?) on the tablet PC, so now I'm confused as to what the problem could be.

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/2249/screenie9tq.th.jpg (http://img365.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenie9tq.jpg)

All files on the DirectX files tab show Final Retail as their attribute, so now I'm confused as to what the problem could be.

CGTalk Moderation
06-05-2006, 03:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.