PDA

View Full Version : crash

Qslugs
05-31-2006, 04:50 AM
Crash, reload program, create sphere, reposition camera, add basic ecosystem material to sphere, populate sphere, crash. reload program, create procedural terrain, reposition camera, add basic ecosystem material to procedural terrain, populate procedural terrain, crash. reload program, create sphere, reposition camera, add basic ecosystem material to sphere, populate sphere, crash. reload program, create sphere, reposition camera, add basic ecosystem material to sphere, populate sphere, crash. 20 goto 10. Run.

Then, create a scene with 4 copies of the same procedural plane. I am able to apply a non ecosystem texture and render. I go back, turn the texture into a ecosystem, I add a coconut tree with the default values. Populate - you guessed it. Crash.
I tried the latest stable, I tried the current beta.

Why is vue acting like this? I finally have time to play with vue and I cant really do anything with it. This is a joke right? I have a single 3.4 p4 with a meg on chip a gig of ram, a 7800 nvidia board. I can occasionally get a render out of vue, however, if I try to change a material on the only item in the scene with the ecosystem, I get a crash. How are people using this program for actual production work? Dead serious question. I havent seen this kind of crashing since I tried doing a animated series using Animation Master. Anyone have any thoughts?

MsLin
05-31-2006, 11:20 AM
I would look to whatever else you are running on your system when you are using Vue. Do you have other software programs open? What is running in the background? Perhaps your security software is having issues with Vue - Norton has been known to cause all sorts of problems with various software.

Vue does try to access the internet for updates. You could try turning that off; your permissions may not be set right for that.

Check the Windows Services that are running.

Anyway, that's the direction I would go. Not all folks are having these problems or the galleries wouldn't be full of images.

Hope this helps

Lin

MT-Cup
05-31-2006, 12:07 PM
Check your video card settings too. Are you running in hardware mode or compatibility mode? If in hardware, try changing to compatibility mode. Sometimes that has been found to stablized the interface.

Qslugs
05-31-2006, 03:34 PM
I think I narrowed the crash down to editing textures on objects from any other area than the top right preview window on the interface. I was finally able to populate without a problem only when I edited via that preview window. Everywhere else I had crashes eventaully.

Only other things running on the system - Norton Systemworks - configured to let vue access whatever ports it wants. Graphics are up to date, and crashing was happeing in compatibility mode as well as vew defaults. I also have no problems whatsoever with any other apps on this system. Its basicly my work computer, all the crap goes on the other computer.

bruno021
05-31-2006, 11:09 PM
Crashes come from OpenGL most of the times. Check your display options in the preferences menu, and lower the instant and background redraw threads, that could help. Also, you could uncheck fog, haze and lens flare preview. If it's not enough, try running some of the views in wireframe.
Also, check you are running the latest update, the official one is 5.09

Qslugs
06-01-2006, 03:04 PM
The crash was definately from trying to edit materials from the list off to the side. Thanks for the advice though. No crashes since I started editing materials exclusively from that preview window located at the upper corner of the screen.

CGTalk Moderation
06-01-2006, 03:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.