PDA

View Full Version : Which one is better? Mouse or Trackball??

VictorLiu17
01-10-2003, 02:35 PM
I'm working with maya & I'm preparing to buy a traceball. But I'm not sure whether traceball is better than mouse. Anyone knows which one is better????

MaDSheeP
01-10-2003, 02:45 PM
uhmm.... i personally think that the level of acuracy you can get with a mouse can't be beaten... unless by a better mouse...

but i have tried trackballs, and tho they look cool... i just could never get the hang of it... but it is totally by preference, i have seen people flying through windows with their trackballs, you just gotta try them out and see what you like :)

and you can always return it if you don't like using it :)

Joel Hooks
01-10-2003, 05:46 PM
it's totally personal preference, and comfort.

The Kensington Expert Mouse is the best trackball though, IMO. You can get a good deal for them on Ebay.

loop29
01-10-2003, 11:51 PM
You should consider a spacemouse too. I love it for rotating with the left and using reight hand for keyboard tasks when working in CAD. Spaceball mouse is not that comfortable in terms of ergonomic. But good ones are expensive, here is one from 3dconnexion: http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/Classic.htm

regards

elvis
01-11-2003, 12:27 AM
i've tried a number of different mice (mouses?) and trackballs on myself and the 50-odd CAD monkeys i support daily. to date the most preferred device is the simple microsoft optical USB wheel-mouse. some like the smaller 2 button + wheel, some like the intellimouse explorer for the larger design and extra buttons.

most importantly the optical mice are preferred for their accuracy and lack of need to clean them as often, and the fact that they are USB. (USB mice talk to the computer 100 times a second, vs PS/2 which defaults to 40 times a second). the higher update speeds mean a much smoother operation.

Joel Hooks
01-11-2003, 01:50 AM
I owned a spaceball for about 6 months and lost my shirt when I sold the useless thing on ebay. Seemed like it might be cool... somehow I just missed it I guess.

I prefer a logitech over a MS optical myself...

kwshipman
01-11-2003, 02:39 AM
Just got the Logitech MX-700 mouse. And it is totally awesome! Feels great, great precision, wireless, loads of buttons. Cant be beat!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.