PDA

View Full Version : Question about moble graphics cards...

MaDSheeP
01-10-2003, 12:47 PM
Hey everyone, as i research laptops I am drawn to a single conclusion...

'sweet jesus those workstations are expensive!'

so i pieced together a nice all around system at Dell.com, but one thing i was really not sure about, which graphics card should i go with,

Geforce4 440 go or the Moble Radeon 9000?

the 9000 has 64 megs of ram, and the GeForce4 go only has 64, so that would be a bonus, but how well would a moble Radeon run Maya?

i am looking to use my laptop while i am at school, or stuck on campus, ironing out animations and such, but i need advice about laptops and moble graphics cards

also, has anyone actually tried to run Maya on a laptop? how did it go?

Thanks! :)

CgFX
01-10-2003, 01:32 PM
A workstation laptop is just like the consumer one with all the options max'ed out and with workstation graphics.

You will regret not getting Quadro or FireGL graphics in your laptop for use with Maya. I have mentioned a couple times that a number of A|W field sales and demo engineers have and use M40/M50 systems so it must run Maya pretty well.

Of the two, the mobile Quadros have proven to be faster but either of them is going to be better than consumer gaming graphics. And among those, the Radeon is going to be the worst with Maya performance and stability.

MaDSheeP
01-10-2003, 01:50 PM
hum..... maybe i will wait... tho... i think there is a bit of false advertising on dell's part.... they are plugging their Quadro M50 model at ~2,800, but i hope in to 'configure' and it asks me for software package, that tacks on a bit even tho i don't need microsoft works or anything ::shrug:: i just take the cheapest of the three options... and no matter how i configure it, i can't get the monster under $3,000 ::shrug::.... and the only deal is a $100 mail in rebate, or an upgrade from 256 to 512 ram for cheaper than normal... ah well :)

oh yeah, thanks for all the info FX

you always seem to pop into my topics and post very useful information... just wanted to say thanks again :)

elvis
01-10-2003, 10:54 PM
a few things to consider:

1) neither nvidia nor ati make mobile chipset drivers available directly from their website. the only way to get them is through the mobile manufacturers (after nvidia give them the files). this means that on average you have to wait anywhere up to a month for the mobile guys to get their gear together and release drivers that they have packaged.

[EDIT] i lie! the latest catalyst drivers support the radeon mobility 9000 and mobility fireGL 9000! apologies.

2) radeon 9000 and geforce4mx cards are gaming cards. the mobile chips you mention are in essence cut down versions of these. their 3D application performance will be quite poor in comparison to even a low-end desktop with a gf4ti card. the mobile quadro4 is certainly the chip you want if you are going to do any serious work (large textures, high polycount, etc). i'm not sure if the mobile quadro is Ti or MX based, but either way you don't have much choice.

3) the radeon9000 supports DX8 (and no doubt most of the features of the upcoming openGL 2.0 specification), but the geforce4 go/mx only supports directX7 and openGL 1.4.X.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i've heard ati will also bring out a mobile fireGL card soon (if they haven't already).

[EDIT] STFW and this is what i found:
http://mirror.ati.com/technology/hardware/mobilityfgl9000/index.html

can't find any reviews on it yet. no doubt they'll pop up over the coming months. i'm quite dissapointed i nwebsites like cadalyst and the like for not reviewing the CAD-specific pieces of hardware quicker. gaming and enthusiast websites seem to pick them up months after release and still be the first reviews on the web.

CgFX
01-11-2003, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by elvis
a few things to consider:

1) neither nvidia nor ati make mobile chipset drivers available directly from their website. the only way to get them is through the mobile manufacturers (after nvidia give them the files). this means that on average you have to wait anywhere up to a month for the mobile guys to get their gear together and release drivers that they have packaged.

The generic NVIDIA UDA driver (available on the nvidia website) will work on mobile workstation and mobile consumer graphics as well. I am running 41.04 generic on my nvidia based laptop now.

There was also a NV28m/NV28GLm mobile part (DX8.1 + fastest perf in mobile) announced by NVIDIA which will start showing up in laptops soon.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.