PDA

View Full Version : Hardcore Modeling Challenge:Big Ben_Clock Detail

Noggy
05-30-2006, 10:52 PM
I know I am in way over my head but I'm gonna try my best.

I have one question about modeling in general, which I have the most trouble with.
How do you guys get started?

Do you guys model a number of the clock then add it on? or Do you have a polygon then start extruding faces?

Any input would help out greatly especially coming from you guys. Well thanks and I can't wait to see your guys models.

slangford
05-30-2006, 11:56 PM
Where to start?... that is the question. Depending on the subject (and how you work), there are a couple of different ways to start. You could start with one piece and work your way out. But I always prefere to set up a proxy and build ontop of it, using the proxy to make sure all the different pieces fit. Considering how detailed this tower is and how much the details are copied around... I wouldnt just extrude faces. Build everything as its own piece.. that will give you alot of control as the model progresses. Cant wait to see what you do....

-Slangford :thumbsup:

salmonmoose
05-31-2006, 06:32 AM
I'm a polygon pusher at heart;

So I block the model out with prims, and build from there - there are a bunch of obvious ones in big ben, plus large chunks of it can be made from quick edited prims;

One of the reasons I love max is it's very quick to drag out a bunch of primitive objects, and build from there;

I wouldn't start at a single number on the clockface, it's not an obvious feature; most people appear to have started with the clock-face, with good reason, it's a feature that should be visible at all levels of detail, and provides a pretty solid reference for scale

you can safely assume it's circular, and a rectangle drawn around it should therefore be square this means you can use it as a quick reference for scale - the whole clock tower may be 7 clock faces high, for example.

In much the same way, I will usually model the head of a character first, it grants instant character, and somewhere to derive scale;

Noggy
06-08-2006, 09:09 PM
Here's what I have so far. It's about 5 hours of work. I still have no idea how to tackle the pattern behind the hands yet. I would appreciate any suggestions. I know how to do the circles but thats about it.

Tell me what you think. C & C are welcomed.

RobertoOrtiz
06-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Just an FYI:
ROBERTO's BULLHORN: BIG BEN (The voting thread goes LIVE on the 13th) (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=368846)

Looking forward to your final entry.
-R

RobertoOrtiz
06-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Here is an update .....

ROBERTO's BULLHORN: BIG BEN Voting Thread Will Go Live On Friday June 12 @ MIDNIGHT (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=369174)
Until then...
I am NOT looking.

-R

CGTalk Moderation
06-12-2006, 03:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.