PDA

View Full Version : Frustratedly Defaulted

earlofbass
05-30-2006, 07:49 PM
Hey every body.

Anyone know how to load custom setting and plug-ins on a locked down network.

Every time Max starts it defaults to it start configuration. All the my keyboard shortcuts are gone. I can't save them. I don't have write permissions on the C drive. Max can’t update the 3dsmax.ini file.

'My Doc' is the only area I have write permissions.

I have used ‘Config Paths’ to get access to some stuff. but I am unable to load UI custom schemes. I under stand there’s a ( 3dsmax.exe -i ) switch used to redirect to a 3dsmax.ini file saved in location of your choice. Anyone know how to set that up.

My eternal thanks

Frustratedly Defaulted

Earlofbass

vaXn8d
05-31-2006, 08:37 PM
Damn, sorry to hear that. I don't know anything about the -i switch, but it sounds like you need to talk to your system administrator(s) about that, maybe they can work something out with you? Good luck,

vax

earlofbass
06-01-2006, 04:23 PM
lol, he's not much help so far.
They'll just have to ease up on permissions if they want speed up the process.

Buzzy
06-08-2006, 05:54 PM
After you set up all your hotkeys and such, go to 'Customize'->'Save Custom UI Sceme'. Then save it in the folder where you have permission (My Docs). You may have to load it each time you start Max, but I'm not sure. This *.ui file can also be taken with you and loaded in Max where ever you go.

joconnell
06-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Afaik you can only load uis from the ui folder in max so you're out of luck.

Buzzy
06-08-2006, 11:44 PM
Oh yeah...forgot that bit....hmmm. Looks like you'z screwed

earlofbass
06-09-2006, 05:16 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I still hope someone has an answer.

I'm using the sneaky way at the moment, till i can find the ini switch.
I copied the 3dsmax8 folder in to MyDoc and the changed the 3dsmax.ini paths with and find/replace. Instead of C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3dsmax8\, the path reads C:\Documents and Settings\earlofbass\My Documents\3dsmax8\3dsmax.ini. I changed the pligin.ini also.

I learned this when I was at university. I had a buddy how ran max from a flash drive.

At the university, 3ds Max was sitting on the network and local computers had the c drives locked down. Max would take forever to load and when the network was slow or crashed you're out of luck. I copied the max files to my portable hard drive. Changed the 3dsmax.ini and the plugins.ini paths. I could run while everyone else was loading max. I had all my plugins, scripts and custom settings. The autoback worked and zero errors massages. Max used the license on the server so it only ran on the school network.

I really don't what to work this way at this job. On the plus side , if I brake my copy of max with all the add-ins I can quickly repair the damage by over-writing my max folder with the defaulted max. I paste a copy of my customized ini files to in new folder and I'm running again.

earlofbass
06-21-2006, 05:49 AM
Hey everbody
just posting to keep the hope alive.

earlofbass

vaXn8d
06-21-2006, 11:48 PM
No solution, but I'm still surprised that your company isn't working with you more on this. I mean, they know it's hindering workflow and losing them money, right? Good luck to you man :shrug:

BTW, where did you get your handle? It reminds me of ToeJam & Earl, from the planet Funkotron!

CGTalk Moderation
06-21-2006, 11:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.