PDA

View Full Version : help with weight tool

Deitycreations
05-30-2006, 06:47 PM
hey guys,

I done a search and didnt find what I was looking for.

I imported a model, rigged it with 3d bones and eveloped the model. well the weight was kind of all over the place cause of the design of the model.

I was wondering. can I select a bone and hit some sort of button/key so I get the option for a falloff range or what ever it might be called. I have a joint/bone weight that is going into the face and dont really want to removed each color by hand cause there is 6 of them and I would like them more even rather then sloppy.

another question I have, when your in the weight setting (w) is there a way to rotate around your model with out going out of the weight setting? I am hitting (s) then (w) to go back and forth to rotate around.

another question I have (sorry), is there a way to make the model so it dont show so many wire frames? I am getting lagged pretty bad cause the model I imported is 189,000 polys. I have used the (-) key to lower it and changed the settings in the view port but was wondering if there is another setting so I can work faster... . other then upgrading my comp again. i am running a 3.2 ghz with one gig of ram if you where wondering.

thanks for any help you guys can give me and sorry about the newbie questions, I know there annoying!

grahamef
05-31-2006, 06:11 PM
I suggest you select a bunch of points, choose Animate > Envelope > Reassign Locally, and pick the bones you want. Repeat for points you want assigned to different bones. Alternatively, you can open the weight editor (Ctrl+E) to select and edit blocks of points/deformers at once.

If that doesn't do it for you, then you can sort of get a fall-off effect using bounding volumes - read up about them in the docs. Bounding volumes are not good as a final solution for weighting so I recommend that you just use them to set up initial weights, then freeze the weights and refine them by painting and smoothing.

For your second question, just press and hold the S key while you navigate then you will automatically go back to the previous tool when you release the key. This is called "supra" keys in XSI. Alternatively, if you press S a second time you will go back to the previous tool.

For your third question, there are a lot of settings that can affect performance so you'll need to try a few to see where you get the most improvement. Look in the guides, particularly under Interface and Tools > Viewing 3D Objects > Improving Scene Display Performance, and maybe also search for "performance" and "optimizing". There is also a Netview page with a script that can set a number of performance-related parameters: open a Netview and click where it says "Click here to tweak the performance preferences".

Strang
05-31-2006, 06:24 PM
ctrl - e for weight panel?

you should read the docs...

Modifying Envelope Weights or just the whole Envelope section

bryann
06-02-2006, 04:41 PM
I would suggest the reassign locally option as well. Just open up the weight panel, select the points you want to reassign, click reassign locally and then pick the bone.

Deitycreations
06-03-2006, 02:15 AM
hey guys, thanks for all the help you guys have given me. I really appreciate it!

I have 2 last questions and these will probably be all I will ask for awhile, I hope. dont mean to bother you guys :\

1. how can I close my model in xsi? ill post an image to show what I am talking about.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/DeityCreations/behe.jpg

I deleted the bottom in zbrush cause I didnt like the rest of the model. it seems in doing this, when I apply the disp map. it wont work :\

2. I am trying to add a fire/smoke/glow type partical to the eyes. ill post a video for a test I am doing. I inserted alot of spheres for the eyes and select each one and then go to create partical. but I just dont understand it haha. so if its something simple that wont take along time to write, id appreciate how to do that. thanks a ton for all the help again!

link to video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y3cISBIIIk

Deitycreations
06-03-2006, 03:03 AM
ok I lied, I have one more question. sorry, I really am.

I am trying to render out the time line so it exports it to the hard drive rather then doing a preview render. right now I am going to render options, render in jpg format and then hitting flipbook and creating the *.mov file. hopefully this is the currect way. I tried the export option but it made these large files and I dont know how to combine them like the flipbook thing. very weird and hard learning this. mad props to you guys that do this for a living.

mdee
06-03-2006, 07:18 AM
hey guys,

I done a search and didnt find what I was looking for.

I imported a model, rigged it with 3d bones and eveloped the model. well the weight was kind of all over the place cause of the design of the model.

I was wondering. can I select a bone and hit some sort of button/key so I get the option for a falloff range or what ever it might be called. I have a joint/bone weight that is going into the face and dont really want to removed each color by hand cause there is 6 of them and I would like them more even rather then sloppy.

Try bounding volumes. Envelope->create bounding volume

another question I have, when your in the weight setting (w) is there a way to rotate around your model with out going out of the weight setting? I am hitting (s) then (w) to go back and forth to rotate around.

press S and hold, don't release

another question I have (sorry), is there a way to make the model so it dont show so many wire frames? I am getting lagged pretty bad cause the model I imported is 189,000 polys. I have used the (-) key to lower it and changed the settings in the view port but was wondering if there is another setting so I can work faster... . other then upgrading my comp again. i am running a 3.2 ghz with one gig of ram if you where wondering.

189,000 polys isn't that high. Anyway, you can select and hide parts of the models - ctrl+H hides selected polygons, or just right click for context menu when you have polygons selected.

Other option would be setting clipping plane somwehere in the middle intersection of your model. It's in the display options.

Third option - use cage deformer and weight it, instead of your model.

Sbowling
06-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Start by reading the tutorial on rigging/weighting that comes with XSI. It should answer all your questions and even some you haven't even thought up yet. The XSI docs and tutorials are very good, but they only help if you read them.:D

EDIT: same goes for the particle question. Read/do the tutorials and you will have a much better understanding of these things.

CGTalk Moderation
06-03-2006, 12:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.