PDA

View Full Version : MAX R5: Weight Tables don't seem to work on Rigid Game Character

hypersushi
01-10-2003, 09:25 AM
Hi,

I'm quite new to gaming setups and my latest assignment is to Skin a character using Rigid weight property (due to the limitations of the game engine). What I can't understand is why the weights are either 1.0 or 0.0 in value despite me being able to alter the weight table numbers. :eek: The damn character just either deforms completely or not at all!

Am I missing out something here? Has anyone done similar game character setups. Please help!

jimcoldt
01-10-2003, 12:41 PM
Not sure exactly what you mean, but if you're using "Rigid" skinning, then they should only have values of 1 or 0-- that's what rigid means. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this... :shrug:

hypersushi
01-13-2003, 12:15 AM
Thanks jimcoldt. Perhaps I should be more specific. My company is using a middleware called Renderware to do Playstation2 games. According to the Renderware docs, Playstation2 allows up to 4 bones to affect a vertex.

So what does that mean in the context of Rigid weighted vertices? Does it mean that each vertex is weighted 1 to each of the 4 bones? Or does it mean that each bone has a "weight" of 0.25? If it is weighted "1", how does the program know which bone will affect it if all 4 bones are animated?

Really, really confused here...

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.