PDA

View Full Version : CNN: 'Blade Runner' to get 'final cut' re-release (UPDATE!)

RobertoOrtiz
05-30-2006, 02:51 PM
LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- Ridley Scott's sci-fi classic "Blade Runner," one of the first movies to appear on DVD in 1997, is being restored and remastered for a brief reissue in September.

The DVD, featuring the 1992 "director's cut," will be deleted after four months, and replaced by a 25th-anniversary "final cut," which Warner Home Video is billing as Scott's "definitive new version" of the film. (Warner Home Video is a unit of Time Warner, as is CNN.)

After a limited theatrical release, the newly spruced-up "Runner" will be released in a multidisc special edition DVD that also will include the original theatrical cut, the expanded international theatrical cut and the 1992 director's cut.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/30/film.bladerunner.reut/index.html

-R

Aegis Prime
05-30-2006, 02:56 PM
There is a God!! :thumbsup:

TumikSmacker
05-30-2006, 03:14 PM
They should pull a 'Lucas' and release the directors cut only on BR/HD-DVD then once everyone buys it release another anniversary edition! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :(

ThirdEye
05-30-2006, 03:25 PM
There is a God!! :thumbsup:

Yeah, and he can't even decide how a movie should end.

Gentle Fury
05-30-2006, 03:31 PM
im assuming this is because Ridley Scott has become such a useless hack that he has to dip into the well and pull out something from when he was good to restore his name.....wonder if they'll add some awesome new CG FX! Maybe Jaba the Hut and E.T. can make cameos! MAKE NEW MOVIES!

NanoGator
05-30-2006, 04:23 PM
Hmm..

I'm in a funny place, here. I watched this movie years ago and... I'm sad to admit... I didn't get it. Thing is, though, I don't think I was paying attention. (i.e. playing on the net while watching it or something...) So I'd like to give it another run-through, now that I'm a little older and more attentive. Question is: Which version do I watch? Suggestions?

heavyness
05-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Hmm..

I'm in a funny place, here. I watched this movie years ago and... I'm sad to admit... I didn't get it. Thing is, though, I don't think I was paying attention. (i.e. playing on the net while watching it or something...) So I'd like to give it another run-through, now that I'm a little older and more attentive. Question is: Which version do I watch? Suggestions?

get the new special edition final cut whatever edition. its a great movie and you do have to sit back and pay attention. funny thing is that the movie bombed when it came out in the US theaters. it did do well over seas and did really well once on video [and dvd].

toonman
05-30-2006, 04:44 PM
I am so sick of directors with itchy fingers going over their previous work and issuing "The director's cut", then the "Unrated version", and finally the "Extended version", to be followed by the "Ultimate Collection" version, and then the...

I profoundly hate this business tactics. The only person who I consider had the right reasons to do this was Peter Jackson during the LOTR trilogy. I would trade anyday my Starwars troligy dvd's with the new pretty CGI effects and Han walking over Jabba's tail for the original triolgy if it was available on DVD. Can't wait to see what Lucas is going to offer us when BlueRay/HD DVD's are available...
:surprised

But then again... it's their property, and they can do with it whatever they want. All I can do is... not buy it. :). I just had to steam... have a nice week all!

Mattoo
05-30-2006, 05:20 PM
There is good reason for multiple versions. The theatrical one which was released in '82 and was largely hated by most people at the time was not Ridley Scott's edit. That control was taken away and a happy ending, plus a few other bits and pieces were added.

The Directors cut was released in the early '90's but again, Ridley Scott didn't have a lot to do with that - it was released by the studio and put together based on Ridley's notes.

This final cut is in theory his genuine vision. I'm concerned that his vision may have changed since 1982 (much like Mr Lucas's) and we'll get some watered down mess.

....all this is stated in the many articles, quite likely including the one Roberto linked to.

Personally I think the Directors Cut was quite outstanding and has a very different and more complex story than the original (I on't give it away fo those that haven't seen it).

TapioKa
05-30-2006, 05:21 PM
Just for the record,

This DVD has been in "development" for quite a long time now (many years). The reason it's been held up for release is from my understanding due to legal issues of ownership and distribution rights.

This is a fantastic movie irrespective of the version "cut". Syd Mead and Ridley Scott's work are visionary to this day, and considering the complexity of all the vfx, which were all optical btw, it's a masterpiece in it's own right. The story and dialogue are equally unforgettable.

I for one will buy this dvd. Even this person has a website devoted to the issue.

http://www.brmovie.com/BR_Special_Edition.htm

Lorecanth
05-30-2006, 07:50 PM
you really should read the story sometime on how this film got taken away from scott its really quite horrible. Essentially the movie went over budget and the underwriters took over, rewrote a new ending and locked Scott out of the editing room. He's no Lucas.

Wizdoc
05-30-2006, 07:56 PM
Since the Ultimate DVD set comes with all four cuts, I'm not complaining.

PatternRecognition
05-30-2006, 08:00 PM
This is godsent! :buttrock:

kingouto
05-30-2006, 08:58 PM
oooooh, I'm SO going to buy this one.
I think I've seen the directors cut more times than any other movie and I think my (VHS!!!) copy needs a replacement any time soon, anyway...

JeroenDStout
05-30-2006, 11:27 PM
I am so in love with that one girl replicant who paints her face...... which is awesome.

mech7
05-30-2006, 11:39 PM
:shrug:can't say i care lol

danniesanchez
05-31-2006, 12:34 AM
:applause: Awesome! Looking forward to it! Ofcourse i dont see why one would buy the limited edition when a multidisc version is gonna come out.

slaughters
05-31-2006, 04:49 AM
im assuming this is because Ridley Scott has become such a useless hack...Let me see. Hmmm... in the last six years he has made (among other things):

Gladiator
Black Hawk Down
Matchstick Men
Kindom of Heaven

Yep - a real sign of being a "useless hack"

KOKE
05-31-2006, 05:53 AM
I love Ridley Scotts work, and Blade runner is one of my all time favorite films. :applause:

Im buying this DVD for sure :thumbsup: .

JK.

:D

Grolicus
05-31-2006, 07:51 AM
A real favourite of mine too. This guy knows how to make good sci-fi movies.

I just don't know if I'll be buying the "really really final this time" version after already buying the Director's Cut. Films are a work of art, and should be treated as such.
Do like the old painting masters did : leave it like it is, or just paint a whole new picture over those works you don't like anymore. Don't just give the Mona Lisa a new haircut.

digital verve
05-31-2006, 09:00 AM
I've been waiting for this final version for many years. Ridley Scott is in my opinion one of the great directors. A number of his films are on my favourite list including Alien, Blade Runner
Thelma & Louise and Black Hawk Down.

newman
05-31-2006, 09:17 AM
Best news I've heard in months! Blade Runner is one of my all-time favourites... I saw some shots from scenes that were cut out (both the original theather version and the Director's Cut), such as Deckard visiting Holden at the hospital (no, he didn't buy it at the beginning, although he got messed up pretty good) and those shots look pretty good. I also didn't like the way they cut out narration from the director's cut - the narration gave the movie that noir crime flick feel, which has, along with the dark sf-ish theme created a rather unique atmosphere. Can't wait for the release, I'm buying it the day it comes out. And please guys, no badmouthing when it comes to Ridley Scott - the man makes great movies. Sure, he made G.I. Jane as well, but anyone can make a mistake, right? ;)

newman
05-31-2006, 09:22 AM
I am so in love with that one girl replicant who paints her face...... which is awesome.

That would be Daryl Hannah with some 80s makeup, actually...:)

geo5sf
05-31-2006, 09:39 AM
This has to be my most anticipated DVD release... I have been watching the original DVD/"Director's Cut" and its such a horrible transfer. This movie has to be one of the best looking films of all time. The whole "future noir" style, is amazing. I can't wait to see this in a high quality transfer, with Ridley Scott's final cut.

The scene where harrison ford is chasing the replicant who smashes the glass.. is visually one of my favorite scenes ever. amazing film.

Als
05-31-2006, 11:25 AM
Alien and Blade Runner set a visual look and feel which was replicated many many many times afterwards. They set a new standard.
H.R. Giger's design of alien changed audience perception, it looked so real and organic.
Alien is one of the ultimate horror sci-fi movies ever. Directing masterpiece!
It teaches: the less you show scarier it gets!
It triggered (too many) sequels and huge franchise.

Blade Runner atmosphere will ring some bells if you ever been in Tokiyo or Hong Kong or...
BUT movie execs thought that people would not understand the movie, so they made serious changes and demaged the quality.
Do not expect action movie where Harison Ford goes around and kicks some replicant ... this is not that kind of flick.
This Film raises many many important issues and it does so subtle throught the plot.
Again - masterpiece.
I'd love to have that DVD...

Als

Apoclypse
05-31-2006, 01:17 PM
When it come to pivotal visual scenes nobody does like Ridley Scott. Not only was he doing amzing things in the early 70's and 80's, he was doing it without cg whatsoever. Some of the effects were quite ingenious (ie. ship at the end of Alien. Brilliant). One of my favorite films of his is Legend, which has such a great atmosphere and alot of the scenes are just beautiful to behold. Blade Runner is my favorite film of all time, followed by Akira which borrowed heavily from this movie on what a future for us could look like. It startles me today how good Blade Runner and Alien look today, the cinematography is incredible in both films. Usually movies as old as Blade Runner and Alien look like crap by todays standard he film quality is usually subpar and the photography doesn't usually hold up to modern standards. Ridley's style is to do it the classic way (Lawrence of Arabia) with big wide shots and tight closeups. Aliens was the better movie in terms of story but in-terms of pure cinematic genious Ridley can't be beat with Alien, it just looks so damn good even today. The same can't be said about all the shots in Aliens, though Cameron did learn and now has style very similar in the way they are shot but still different and unique to him.

Definately a must buy if you care anything about film at all. I'm talking about real film not crap like MI3

aaraaf
05-31-2006, 01:39 PM
I wonder what the movie would have been like if he had been more like Gilliam (as far as dealing with people)... that crazy man locked himself in a room with the negative of Brazil and threatened to scorch it if they didn't release it how he wanted, with a contract!

I absolutely love this movie. I'm really fond of classic, well shot films. To say that there are none getting made is a farce, though. And as far as paying only half attention while you're watching it... this movie was made to watch in a theatre with a captive audience WITHOUT cel phones and before video rentals took off. It's best all the way through... the pacing and action are absolutely captivating, but not loud enough or over the top enough to compete with you doing something else.
I'm looking forward to this one. Another Scott flick I LOVE is Black Rain.

Emmanuel
05-31-2006, 01:40 PM
Ahhhh, this will be an excellent christmas present for me !!

JeroenDStout
05-31-2006, 02:42 PM
That would be Daryl Hannah with some 80s makeup, actually...:)
They painted strokes of their face black in the 80s :D? That's aw-.. that's rather silly, really ;)

I remember Googlin' her, but either I found nothing or found horrible things I forced myself not to remember. Bit like the woman who plays Leeloo in The Fifth Element turning up on Resident Evil (or whatever that name was).

ysvry
05-31-2006, 02:43 PM
i agree with the one that said " make some new movies"

newman
05-31-2006, 02:59 PM
They painted strokes of their face black in the 80s :D? That's aw-.. that's rather silly, really

Tell that to the U.S. Marines, if you dare.. they still do it :D

Bit like the woman who plays Leeloo in The Fifth Element turning up on Resident Evil (or whatever that name was).

..and that would be Milla Jovovich without 80s makeup.. (and without much else.. ;) )

JeroenDStout
05-31-2006, 03:02 PM
.....the IMDB has grown itself a brain and is now capable of message-boarding!

That is cool, though :scream:

slaughters
05-31-2006, 04:29 PM
They painted strokes of their face black in the 80s :D? That's aw-.. that's rather silly, really ;)....Yes, but wait just 15 or 20 years and then look back on body piercing and tatoos :)

RobertoOrtiz
05-31-2006, 04:32 PM
i agree with the one that said " make some new movies"

For fans of the original theatrical release this is HUGE news.
Blade Runner is considered to be among the most influential Sci-fi films ever,
and the theatrical release has NEVER been released on DVD.
Ridley Scott as a nasty habit of taking film genre and turning them inside out.
(Hell I could do a LONG dissertation on this).
Hell the only genre he has not touched is a Western, and if he did, it would be epic.

The sad thing is that the studio systems screw him over and over (For example Check out, Kingdom of Heaven Director's cut)

Trust me, they don't make them like this anymore.

-R

Neil
05-31-2006, 04:53 PM
I don't get why there would ever need to be more than 2 versions released, if you're the director and feel cheated then you get the right to release your 'vision'. But don't realease a mid-hack version if that's not it from the start, just wait until you can do everything and anything you wanted, THEN release it.

Anyway, I don't know if anyone can beat the amount of Terminator2 versions there are.

RobertoOrtiz
05-31-2006, 04:57 PM
I don't get why there would ever need to be more than 2 versions released, if you're the director and feel cheated then you get the right to release your 'vision'. But don't realease a mid-hack version if that's not it from the start, just wait until you can do everything and anything you wanted, THEN release it.

Anyway, I don't know if anyone can beat the amount of Terminator2 versions there are.

It is a very rare hing that a director gets final cut of his film. And in some cases A LOT gets buchered on the editing floor.

-R

arctor
05-31-2006, 05:21 PM
It is a very rare hing that a director gets final cut of his film. And in some cases A LOT gets buchered on the editing floor.

-R

and even those directors that DO get final cut are often forced to comply with a specific running time and a specific rating...I doubt ANYONE, even Spielberg could make a 3 hour NC-17 film and ever get it released into theaters...the studio would never approve and theaters wouldn't show it...

Blade Runner and Brazil are two films that are among the best eg of the Hollywood system in action...if you think that the movie business has anything to do with art read up on the history of these two films...
great films happen by accident - not by design.

Close Encounters among others

SheepFactory
05-31-2006, 05:29 PM
I will wait for the HD\BR versions that are sure to come out soon.

toonman
05-31-2006, 08:13 PM
you really should read the story sometime on how this film got taken away from scott its really quite horrible. Essentially the movie went over budget and the underwriters took over, rewrote a new ending and locked Scott out of the editing room. He's no Lucas.

I stand corrected, and apologize for a quick draw on conclusions. I just have had so much of this latest trend in DVD releases from the big companies... I'm sick to death.

TimAnderson
05-31-2006, 08:36 PM
I found the wording of the original link confusing in regards to what would be released and when, and I've sensed some of the same confusion in this thread. By way of more research online, from myriad sources, I believe the following timeline to be accurate, but please correct me if I'm wrong:

September-December 2006: Blade Runner: Director's Cut (previously released) re-released on DVD
2007: Theatrical release of Blade Runner: The Final Cut
later 2007: Multi-disc DVD release of the 4 versions of the film, including the Final Cut

Again, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that is an accurate timeline.

And it's about time. Blade Runner is one of the best and most influential sci-fi movies of all time.

ekah
05-31-2006, 11:14 PM
So many films borrowed from Blade Runner. It's been more than 20 years, and it's still the most beautiful sci-fi film to date, imo.

My favorite is the Director's Cut. I'm not sure what the "new Final Cut" could offer that would change the integrity of the story. I just hope it doesn't re-introduce the "happy ending". They could burn that version as far as I'm concerned.

tonton1
05-31-2006, 11:58 PM
The excellent book "Future Noir : The Making of Blade Runner" says about the happy ending :

"The primary rumor behind the genesis of the happy ending has always been that Ridley Scott was forced to append it to his film following the negative responses of the Denver/Dallas sneaks. Well - yes and no. For, as Ivor Powell now relates, a form of this bittersweet ending had always been planned for the film. In fact, the sequence had even been assigned scene numbers and shooting days before BR's principal photography began. [...] But if a happy ending had been planned all along, why didn't it surface during the Denver and Dallas Sneaks ?
"Because the happy ending was totally generated by those sneaks" explains Michael Deely. "Although it had actually been scripted and planned beforce we started filming, we ultimately ran out of time and money during principal photography and didn't have the recources to shoot that ending. Ridley later also changed his mind concerning the scripted climax during the editing of the picture. He now felt that it would be much better to visually end the film on a harder, more ambiguous note [...] Once again, however, I must point out that Ridley went willingly along with the idea of filming the happy ending after Denver and Dallas."

It appears however that the voice-over was added without Scott's consent.

newman
06-01-2006, 07:43 AM
September-December 2006: Blade Runner: Director's Cut (previously released) re-released on DVD
2007: Theatrical release of Blade Runner: The Final Cut
later 2007: Multi-disc DVD release of the 4 versions of the film, including the Final Cut

Damn, damn, damn! I don't want to wait that long! Besides, what are they doing so long with it? By the end of 2007 they could just as well shoot a completely new one...? Come on guys, pick up the pace a little, if I came to my boss with such deadlines I'd get fired :D

ekah
06-01-2006, 04:58 PM
The excellent book "Future Noir : The Making of Blade Runner" says about the happy ending ...

Thank you for that. That was my understanding surrounding the "happy ending" rumour too, at least the gist of it, that Scott wasn't forced into it.

He, arctor's "great films happen by accident - not by design" quote is very fitting in this case. Isn't it? :)

Neil
06-02-2006, 06:07 PM
and even those directors that DO get final cut are often forced to comply with a specific running time and a specific rating...I doubt ANYONE, even Spielberg could make a 3 hour NC-17 film and ever get it released into theaters...the studio would never approve and theaters wouldn't show it...

But is he interested in doing an nc-17 film? And time lengths don't seem to be that big of restrictions anymore, everything is going 'epic'. I mean even in the 60s, Ben Hur had a running time of 212 minutes. That's over 3 hours. That's been released in the theatre and dvd.
There are countless others with long running times or NR ratings that get released.

CGTalk Moderation
06-02-2006, 06:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.