PDA

View Full Version : layer material overrides - only sometimes work?

pixlix2
05-30-2006, 02:45 PM
Hello everyone!

I have some problems with per-layer material overrides (not per-object overrides!). I find this feature extremely useful especially when having a complex scene and you don't want to have a shader assignement on a per-object level because this can get slow and annoying when objects are added.

But unfortuantely this feature seems to hate me! I really don't get it but often it just does not work for me. A simple scene with a few spheres and boxes will never produce errors for me but when I'm getting more complex the overrides just don't work anymore - this is so frustrating!
I'm getting errors like these:

// Warning: file: C:/Apps/3d/Maya701/scripts/startup/layerEditor.mel line 878: Node 'polySurfaceShape738.instObjGroups[0]': cannot make assignment to 'lambert3SG' shader. //
// Error: file: C:/Apps/3d/Maya701/scripts/startup/layerEditor.mel line 878: Connection not made: 'polySurfaceShape738.instObjGroups[0]' -> 'lambert3SG.dagSetMembers[-1]'. Source node will not allow the connection. //

I wished I could understand what the limitations of layer overrides are.

Also sometimes the override seems to work but when you change to another render layer and then come back - errors all over the place!

What does "-1" in lambert3SG.dagSetMembers[-1] mean?

please help me.
Many thanks!

avinashlobo
05-31-2006, 08:27 AM
From the error it seems that you're trying to assign a material to an object on a render layer with a material override applied to the lyaer. This isn't possible of course, because the material override locks the shader connections.

underearth
01-18-2007, 07:06 AM
same happens with me also...

but i got no material override on my render layer....

i have imported objects from refrence.. and then.. removed namespaces.. empty sets...

and followed all things mentioned in this forum regarding minimizing render layer errrors.. but that line 878 .. error reats again.. each time.. i switch render layer.. is it a known bug..and is it fixed at maya 8.5...

djx
01-18-2007, 01:16 PM
I think that per-layer material overrides can be troublesome if in one mesh you have different shaders assigned to selected faces, rather than just one shader assigned to the object. I always avoid face level assignments when working with render layers.

BiduMadio
11-10-2007, 06:35 PM
No, this is not fixed in Maya 8.5.
Im still having trouble with render layers.
By the way, render layers sux bad on Maya 8.5.

seandunderdale
11-12-2007, 12:06 PM
render layers are great if youre doing a small scene with no imports/references. As soon as you complicate the scene, or do anything they dont like, the whole thing falls down. Theyre not robust at all.

Theyre extremely useful when/if they work though so I wish theyd be sturdier.

avinashlobo
11-13-2007, 05:55 AM
render layers are great if youre doing a small scene with no imports/references. As soon as you complicate the scene, or do anything they dont like, the whole thing falls down. Theyre not robust at all.

Theyre extremely useful when/if they work though so I wish theyd be sturdier.Isn't that the sad truth? Things are better in 2008, but it's still not air tight unfortunately.

Also, while we're at it, who over here doesn't see the usefulness of being able to group render layers Photoshop style and applying overrides to the group?

avinashlobo
11-13-2007, 06:02 AM
double post

seandunderdale
11-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Also, while we're at it, who over here doesn't see the usefulness of being able to group render layers Photoshop style and applying overrides to the group?

haha OMG! I was sitting here at work last night thinking exaclty the same thing!!

Itd be awesome if you could group layers into, floor shadows, mattes, BG+FG stuff. Oh how itd make me smile if they added that.

mr Bob
11-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Unfortunately I dont think Autodesk give a monkey's about render layers . They have never worked well and I doubt they ever will untill maya gets replaced. I just thank my lucky stars I work for a studio that has there own render layer management system so I dont have to use that pile of rubbish in maya.

B

seandunderdale
11-13-2007, 10:13 AM
What software is that?? We're trialing an asset management software here atm, so if I can find a good render layer replacement Im sure the bossman would be interested in that too.

Hamburger
11-13-2007, 11:09 AM
I think that per-layer material overrides can be troublesome if in one mesh you have different shaders assigned to selected faces, rather than just one shader assigned to the object. I always avoid face level assignments when working with render layers.

Yeah, If you turn DAG objects off in the outliner it seems that Render Layer assigns by groups and not actual individual nodes or faces under the group. If you have a clean scene and good management, Render Layers works pretty well.

Also, if find that if you assign to group nodes using Lamberts for something like an occlusion pass (and not Surface Shaders) it seems to be more stable as well. Surface Shaders are buggy with Render Layers for some reason.

mr Bob
11-14-2007, 01:08 AM
What software is that?? We're trialing an asset management software here atm, so if I can find a good render layer replacement Im sure the bossman would be interested in that too.

Its a custom in house tool set that unfortunately will never be for sale.

CGTalk Moderation
11-14-2007, 01:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.