PDA

View Full Version : Exporting to .MOV vs .AVI

Denovice
05-30-2006, 09:22 AM
Not sure whether my problem is specific to After Effects as I've come across the same problem using Premiere and may well be a format limitation but here goes...

I've rendered some animation footage of a camera panning down a block of skyscrapers and is exported uncompressed at 30fps.
If I export the footage as a MOV it plays back perfectly.
If I export the footage as an AVI it jumps fairly badly like its skipping/dropping frames.
This is not a performance issue.

Anyone know why this happens?

Mylenium
05-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Not sure whether my problem is specific to After Effects as I've come across the same problem using Premiere and may well be a format limitation but here goes...

I've rendered some animation footage of a camera panning down a block of skyscrapers and is exported uncompressed at 30fps.
If I export the footage as a MOV it plays back perfectly.
If I export the footage as an AVI it jumps fairly badly like its skipping/dropping frames.
This is not a performance issue.

Anyone know why this happens?

AVIs are chnuk-based, not on streams like MOV. A (data) chunk in an AVI usually comprises multiple frames which need to be decoded before even one of them can be displayed meaning there is more overhead than decoding frames as needed from a stream.

Mylenium

CGTalk Moderation
05-30-2006, 10:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.