PDA

View Full Version : LCD and dead pixel question

mucksmear
01-10-2003, 03:40 AM
Hello all,

I looked at newegg, and noticed their bold-faced sentence regarding no returns on LCD for dead pixels if it's fewer than 8.

Question: how much of an issue is this? I personally would not want a single dead pixel if I'm spending that much. Has anyone here gone into a store and actually run the LCD at the store before purchasing it to check? Seems that would be a hassel for the store.

I would just assume purchase thru newegg along with the rest of my components (that's the subject of another thread).

I'm considering the purchase of a 17"-19" or so LCD. Based on many of the comments I've seen in this forum, probably a Samsung, then again, there's the Viewsonic 20.1" LCD with 1600x1200 rez (any comments on this one?).

Thanks
-Elliot

Sieb
01-10-2003, 04:16 AM
8 pixels is the norm from any company. I have one dead pixel on one of my LCDs in the lower corner, you only notice it on black. A dead pixel or two is expected with the volume of LCDs produced. The same goes for laptops, you can't return them for less than 8 pixels. In the end, its not that big of an issue. My LCD is the only one I have come across with a dead pixel out of dozens I have sent out with systems.

Most stores don't let you check (cause then they face a potential open box item) and I don't trust the demo units BestBuy has that have been on for who knows how long.

You can always check out Monitors Direct (http://www.monitorsdirect.com/)

singularity2006
01-10-2003, 05:45 AM
i agree about that cost thing... for something so expensive, i want NO dead pixels. And actually, I have yet to see any dead pixels on a Dell or HP system flat panel, laptops included. I onlee see them on stand alone products from NEC or ViewSonic.... which is really... weird... what does this imply about manufacturers these days then?? :shrug:

paultheplumber
01-10-2003, 09:52 AM
Has anyone here successfully massaged a dead pixel back to life?

An old article about Powerbooks says, (http://www.lowendmac.com/misc/2k0323pf.html)
It is also sometimes possible to literally massage a dead pixel back to life. You can try (at your own risk) gently rubbing the surface of the LCD screen in the location of a dead pixel, which sometimes will stimulate the pixel back to life. How hard you decide to rub is left to your discretion. If you cause any damage to the screen, that's your responsibility. (I'd like to emphasize "at your own risk")

GregHess
01-10-2003, 11:57 AM
I've purchased about 12 LCD's now. (Viewsonic mainly, with two dells, and recently a samsung). I haven't seen a single dead pixel. (All sans the dell purchased from newegg). If your really worried about dead pixels, pick a LCD which has excellent customer support.

I have however seen a dead pixel...on a DTI 3D LCD...dead center of the screen, stuck in RED. Man that was annoying. Quite understandable though, since the unit had been through 20 some reviewers before me.

aYs
01-10-2003, 12:18 PM
there was one dead pixel on the samtron tft at the store where i bought mine
i don't know how long it's been running
it was at the top left corner and one pixel is really tiny so it's not a big problem

my tft has none
i've not seen any yet

Christian Mir
01-10-2003, 12:31 PM
Hi Greg,

Do you have any advice on the Viewsonice VG series? I have been offered a good deal on a VG800 18" model.

Have you tested LCD´s with 3d softwares? Any blurring, ghosting when spinning models?

Thanks in advance.

GregHess
01-10-2003, 12:56 PM
The VG800 is an ok screen. They don't have DVI-I connectors though...their analog only. I've noticed a substaintal difference between the analog and digital connector on the same monitor, so I'd really try to get a DVI-I LCD if you can. (Of course you need DVI-I output as well).

I didn't use the VG800 extensively, I just installed them on user machines. Ghosting is the same as all other LCD's on the market. You only really notice it in FPS's, and then only for a bit, and it eventually disappears. (Because you get used to it).

I've noticed some very subtle ghosting in Max here and then, but usually only when in analog mode.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.